Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windscreen replacement...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My auto lights were stuck on for about a week after the windscreen was replaced, even the service centre thought they were broken but then they just started working properly again one day all by themselves!

I don't use the auto wipers though as they were useless every time I tried them.

Thanks for that it is good to know you had the same issue.

Right now Tesla are doing some remote diagnostics so I'll delay anything more than that for at least a week to give it time to sort itself out.

Shouldn’t the recalibration be all part of the replacement windscreen service?

I just had my windscreen on my Mercedes E350 replaced through my insurance via Auto Windscreens, they came out and replaced the screen, then made an appointment for me with Mercedes to recalibrate the camera with no extra cost to myself other than my £50 windscreen excess.

Sorry, missed this one earlier, yes, it is all covered by the insurance, but what Autoglass have done is setup their own centres where they perform the calibration work themselves, thus adding another thing they can charge the insurers for.

If they cannot do the work themselves then they will cover the cost of the dealer doing it, which is how they handle it for Tesla's.

You have to figure that all these extra charges just come back to us in increased insurance costs though...

Reactions: WannabeOwner
My auto lights were stuck on for about a week after the windscreen was replaced, even the service centre thought they were broken but then they just started working properly again one day all by themselves!

I don't use the auto wipers though as they were useless every time I tried them.

Today I received the new 2019.12 update for the car and now both wipers and lights are all working normally.

It is also exactly one week since the windscreen was changed, so not sure if it needed the week or the update but either way it is now working.

Reactions: MagicMagicD
Today I received the new 2019.12 update for the car and now both wipers and lights are all working normally.

It is also exactly one week since the windscreen was changed, so not sure if it needed the week or the update but either way it is now working.

I had my windscreen replaced (by Tesla themselves) on Friday. Unlike you I had to go through calibration again on the drive home (the horror! The horror! - I had to use my right foot AND a hand to steer! Oh the suffering!). Calibration completed OK after about 20 miles and TACC / AutoSteer work fine again.

Like you, however, the headlights have been stuck on and the auto-wipers just do intermittent wipe instead. Searching elsewhere here I see the "fix" that's worked for others is to re-load the Driver Assistance Software, so I've opened a service request for that. Because I'm too impatient to wait a week and/or for a software update....

Mine seems to have settled down now.

I did have a mobile appointment scheduled for tomorrow to take a look at it, but as of yesterday morning all is working fine again.

It started working a week after the replacement, then stopped again, then became intermittent for a few days then finally went back to normal yesterday morning.

When I spoke to the Mobile service team at the request of the MK Service guys I wasn't totally inspired with confidence when she said they were going to be investigating a possible 'loose contact on the rain sensor'... I'd have loved to see them find a rain sensor on a Tesla :)

Reactions: henleyregatta
Mine seems to have settled down now.

I did have a mobile appointment scheduled for tomorrow to take a look at it, but as of yesterday morning all is working fine again.

It started working a week after the replacement, then stopped again, then became intermittent for a few days then finally went back to normal yesterday morning.

That's good to hear. From what I can work out, getting any sort of update / code refresh is enough to sort it out - I'm guessing there's some sort of "service-mode" flag that's failsafing both headlights and wipers that's supposed to reset at the end of the calibration process but doesn't.

When I spoke to the Mobile service team at the request of the MK Service guys I wasn't totally inspired with confidence when she said they were going to be investigating a possible 'loose contact on the rain sensor'... I'd have loved to see them find a rain sensor on a Tesla :)

IIRC The AP-1 system (MobileEye) does have a rain sensor... It's only AP-2 onwards that uses the super-intelligent & complex camera / CNN system to attempt to do something that a simple capacitative system has been good at for 20 years.....

(My first thought was dirt/muck on the lens / daylight sensor trapped under the windscreen but I've had a good look and all looks clear... which is a relief!).

Was that a warranty job?

Yes. I've had the front camera system fog up on me a couple of times over the winter; diagnosis was "no fault anywhere else in the car, supply OK" so they decided to replace the whole windscreen presumably on the grounds that the heating element wires were FUBAR.

Bit hard to prove it's worked with the weather being so much nicer now, but very happy with the dedication to fault-diagnosis & resolution, and the quality of the service of the folks at Brooklands.

...even happier once the headlights & windscreen wipers settle down....

something that a simple capacitative system has been good at for 20 years

Every car I have owned in the last 20 years that had that has been lousy. Intermittent wipers go to double speed in even light rain, and getting the balance of "low/hi" right has never worked well for me ... the old fashioned "timer" systems worked better for me

... no telling if Tesla software will be better ... eventually ... but at least they can fiddle with it to try to improve it :) They might even chat to AP and figure out about to pass a big lorry chucking up spray and put wipers on before the screen gets deluged :)

P.S. I'm a Software guy, not a Hardware guy ;)

That's good to hear. From what I can work out, getting any sort of update / code refresh is enough to sort it out - I'm guessing there's some sort of "service-mode" flag that's failsafing both headlights and wipers that's supposed to reset at the end of the calibration process but doesn't.

While an update did initially sort it out that was short lived, it behaved more like it needed to relearn how to do it and eventually settled down correctly without another update.

IIRC The AP-1 system (MobileEye) does have a rain sensor... It's only AP-2 onwards that uses the super-intelligent & complex camera / CNN system to attempt to do something that a simple capacitative system has been good at for 20 years.....

It's been a long while since those were produced though and they know mine is a 2018 model...

Yes. I've had the front camera system fog up on me a couple of times over the winter; diagnosis was "no fault anywhere else in the car, supply OK" so they decided to replace the whole windscreen presumably on the grounds that the heating element wires were FUBAR.

After removing my screen the Autoglass guy showed me where my screen had not even been bonded across a significant area at the bottom of the screen and it is amazing how much less wind noise I get now and how much better my telephone sound is for those on the other end of the call :)

While an update did initially sort it out that was short lived, it behaved more like it needed to relearn how to do it and eventually settled down correctly without another update.

Ahh, that's interesting. And plausible.... except that I can't remember it behaving like this when I picked the car up (from new) last year. I did have to do the Calibration process then too (~20 miles that time, IIRC), and I don't remember any other oddness of either lights or wipers after that.

Absolutely fascinating that the "learning process" is far happier taking over speed/distance/lane position/overtaking duties quicker than it'll take over "turn the lights off it's a summer morning" and "don't bother wiping the windscreen it's bone dry" duties though :D

It's been a long while since those were produced though and they know mine is a 2018 model...
Fair enough. In which case that sounds a little more like "Say something to get the customer off our back for now" :rolleyes:

After removing my screen the Autoglass guy showed me where my screen had not even been bonded across a significant area at the bottom of the screen and it is amazing how much less wind noise I get now and how much better my telephone sound is for those on the other end of the call :)

Now I left my car in the tender care of the SC so I didn't get a chance to do this. But on my drive this morning I was especially attentive and.... if there is a difference (for me) then it's lost below the tyre noise I get on the A34/M4 anyway.....

Now I left my car in the tender care of the SC so I didn't get a chance to do this. But on my drive this morning I was especially attentive and.... if there is a difference (for me) then it's lost below the tyre noise I get on the A34/M4 anyway.....

You probably had a good seal on the screen in the first place.

Hope they have solved your fogging problem now though...

Sorry for resurrecting an older thread but I'm now in need of a replacement screen after a stone hit it very close to the left edge.

I'm with Direct Line and have an AP1 car (pre facelift). Apparently the work will be done by AutoGlas. That probably means I will need the camera recalibrated - should that be done by AutoGlas or Tesla? How can I tell if the glass will not be third party? Any other tips? Thanks!

Sorry for resurrecting an older thread but I'm now in need of a replacement screen after a stone hit it very close to the left edge.

I'm with Direct Line and have an AP1 car (pre facelift). Apparently the work will be done by AutoGlas. That probably means I will need the camera recalibrated - should that be done by AutoGlas or Tesla? How can I tell if the glass will not be third party? Any other tips? Thanks!
Calibration should be done automatically when you take the car back - see upthread for reports on how that goes.

I wouldn't get too worked up about 3rd party glass. When Tesla replaced my windscreen earlier this year it had to be done on a Friday "because that's when the glass guy comes in"... I.e. they contract it out themselves.

Calibration should be done automatically when you take the car back - see upthread for reports on how that goes.

I wouldn't get too worked up about 3rd party glass. When Tesla replaced my windscreen earlier this year it had to be done on a Friday "because that's when the glass guy comes in"... I.e. they contract it out themselves.

My understanding since I posted earlier this week is that AP1 cars need manual calibration while AP2+ can auto-calibrate. Mine is AP1. AutoGlass won't calibrate my car so it will have to go to Tesla.