Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windscreen replacement cost!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2 inch crack in the lower passenger side windscreen from a motorway trip on Wednesday night (sounded like a half šŸ§±šŸ˜Ÿ). Checking with Tesla technical documentation it says nothing should be repaired in this section, and Autoglass decision tree also confirmed this. Going through the booking process, you have the option of via the insurance or to pay for the repair; out of interest I clicked the pay option. The quote was over Ā£3k, this will be an insurance job but canā€™t help wondering how they arrived at the figure, for what is 3-5h work?

I have recently had mine replaced in Atlanta, Georgia. I was quoted $1800 by my insurance company and also through the major glass people. I was able to get it replaced for $750 at a local glass repair. I donā€™t think itā€™s more complicated than other cars glass. All the cameras are in one module.

I have a 2 inch crack in the lower passenger side windscreen from a motorway trip on Wednesday night (sounded like a half šŸ§±šŸ˜Ÿ). Checking with Tesla technical documentation it says nothing should be repaired in this section, and Autoglass decision tree also confirmed this. Going through the booking process, you have the option of via the insurance or to pay for the repair; out of interest I clicked the pay option. The quote was over Ā£3k, this will be an insurance job but canā€™t help wondering how they arrived at the figure, for what is 3-5h work?
what car is this. and is this Tesla's price? I had an MY windscreen replaced under insurance last year for around Ā£120 with Auto glass.
But I seem to recall the cash price on Auto glass website was "only" about Ā£1200 not Ā£3K.

I was chatting with an Autoglass Tech last week. He told me they have a Model 3 or Model Y into their depot every single day for a screen replacement. He says the screen is pretty big compared with many cars, so has a higher chance of being hit, but also due to the size its a two person job to get the new one to fit perfectly without damaging anything else in the process.

When we had ours replaced last summer, they had the car for half a day because of the calibration etc they do after the screen has cured.

I was chatting with an Autoglass Tech last week. He told me they have a Model 3 or Model Y into their depot every single day for a screen replacement. He says the screen is pretty big compared with many cars, so has a higher chance of being hit, but also due to the size its a two person job to get the new one to fit perfectly without damaging anything else in the process.

When we had ours replaced last summer, they had the car for half a day because of the calibration etc they do after the screen has cured.
They told me the same thing. Did not seem to think there was anything substandard about the screen just the size of it.
My MY was hit right at the top on the black painted bit.. On most cars I have owned the stone would have gone right over the top and missed completely

Also of course there is a glass roof which can also be damaged by stones etc if they land on top.

Reactions: Burley
what car is this. and is this Tesla's price? I had an MY windscreen replaced under insurance last year for around Ā£120 with Auto glass.
But I seem to recall the cash price on Auto glass website was "only" about Ā£1200 not Ā£3K.
Itā€™s a MYLR. Thatā€™s the price it said on the screen, shame I didnā€™t pdf it. Itā€™s actually only going to cost Ā£150 xs but just wondering how they justify the cash price. Doubt the insurance pays anything like this.

The calibration that is available to all via the customer service interface?

Or is it some magical voodoo with magnetic fields and crystals (or other dark arts) to align the cameras post-install?
I had to go to an auto glass location and wait until it was their turn with the calibration equipment rather than have it done on my drive in two days. I have no idea what the equipment is but there does seem to be something that they do ( or claim to do ) beyond the in car calibration option

Itā€™s a MYLR. Thatā€™s the price it said on the screen, shame I didnā€™t pdf it. Itā€™s actually only going to cost Ā£150 xs but just wondering how they justify the cash price. Doubt the insurance pays anything like this.
I think I may have got that price from google rather than Autoglass in hindsight e.g.
Ā£3k does seem a crazy price though

I had to go to an auto glass location and wait until it was their turn with the calibration equipment rather than have it done on my drive in two days. I have no idea what the equipment is but there does seem to be something that they do ( or claim to do ) beyond the in car calibration option
The forward facing camera's pitch has to be verified which is done using a test target and depending on whether you have HW4 or not, using the built in service tool or Toolbox (diagnostic software used at SCs). Then you manually adjust the position of the camera as required and once that's done you then carry out the autopilot calibration.

I don't think most people would want to try and do the pitch verification themselves, hence that's the bit a SC or Autoglass needs to do but after that the Autopilot calibration is just driving the car around for a while.

My replacement was done in an hour. They told me to leave the tape on for a day, and not wash it for 3 days. Tape Calibrated I guess. Can I sell you some nitrogen based earth air for your tires? I have FSD beta and it works just as crappy before and after the replacement. no errors except my lack of ability to pay attention.

The calibration that is available to all via the customer service interface?

Or is it some magical voodoo with magnetic fields and crystals (or other dark arts) to align the cameras post-install?
My sentry mode saved some of the workshop time and there was a Tesla branded target set up in front of the car with various markings on it which the cameras were clearly aimed at / calibrated against before the test drive was done. By the time I got the car back, the cameras were ready for AP etc - there was no need to run the calibration, although the Autoglass folk said they might need some miles before that became available again.

Hocus pocus when Tesla themselves have implemented a multi-video automated calibration for AP. If anyone has justification for the need for any external third-party calibration I'd love to hear it.
I described the 2 stage process above. Autoglass use the same process Tesla do. They can leave the driving part to the customer but they probably look forward to ragging someone else's car around for a couple of hours...
What's the third party calibration you refer to?

You would think, the calibration might actually fix the automatic wipers then. Are any physical adjustments being made from the calibration?
Can anything physically be moved in the camera module or adjusted? Or are they just starting calibration mode? I have always felt they needed a stall at the supercharger that has special targets around it, where your car could really calibrate.
It just sounds like a bunch of dry wipes to me.

Reactions: Pink Duck
The pitch adjustment using a test target is a manual adjustment of the camera itself in the housing.
The calibration done by driving after that is all done in software.
Wiper functionality doesn't depend on the orientation of the camera, it's more about how well it picks up the changing conditions and how the software interprets that.
There would be no point in having test targets at Superchargers as the setup needs to be done accurately. A lot of people can't even park straight in a charging bay as it is.

• Informative
Reactions: Pink Duck

Was told similar when mine was replaced, the most common car they see apparently. Tech also suggested the glass was thinner than other marques.

The pitch adjustment using a test target is a manual adjustment of the camera itself in the housing.
The calibration done by driving after that is all done in software.
Wiper functionality doesn't depend on the orientation of the camera, it's more about how well it picks up the changing conditions and how the software interprets that.
There would be no point in having test targets at Superchargers as the setup needs to be done accurately. A lot of people can't even park straight in a charging bay as it is.
the point is to calibrate the cameras so it could maybe park in my garage or leave my garage all by itself. I paid for the car to drive itself fully. I don't need to learn to park, I have done it successfully a few hundred thousand times. My car is the stupid one. Just trying to help, as a controls engineer, Tesla get some focus because right now their AI is neither.