Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long delay replacing Model 3 Windscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had a similar experience with Admiral. They have now agreed that Tesla can do the job but only after I've contacted Autoglass and got them to confirm that the Tesla dealership won't sell them the glass so they can do it !
But I'm still struggling to find a Tesla workshop that have any glass. Does anyone actually know of any 'phone numbers where you can call the Tesla outlets to ask the question ? For example how do I call the Nottingham workshop so I can ask a human being if/when they will actually have the glass ???
Can someone enlighten me ?
Create a service request in the App and they will come back to you.

I've had a similar experience with Admiral. They have now agreed that Tesla can do the job but only after I've contacted Autoglass and got them to confirm that the Tesla dealership won't sell them the glass so they can do it !
But I'm still struggling to find a Tesla workshop that have any glass. Does anyone actually know of any 'phone numbers where you can call the Tesla outlets to ask the question ? For example how do I call the Nottingham workshop so I can ask a human being if/when they will actually have the glass ???
Can someone enlighten me ?
As Grilla said - generate the service appointment inthe app (you'll have check boxes to confirm why the service is needed), and they app will select appointment options where glass should be available. The parts requests are basically generated from the service booking within the app. The only delays then should be whether the glass fitter is available on the chosen date (I had 1 appt moved as the glass fitter wasn't available, but it was a t 2 weeks notice)

As Grilla said - generate the service appointment inthe app (you'll have check boxes to confirm why the service is needed), and they app will select appointment options where glass should be available. The parts requests are basically generated from the service booking within the app. The only delays then should be whether the glass fitter is available on the chosen date (I had 1 appt moved as the glass fitter wasn't available, but it was a t 2 weeks notice)
Thanks Guys, yes I am already 'in the queue' at Nottingham. The thing that interested me was how the windscreens, when they arrive, are dished out. I managed to get a whole load of emails for the service centres on this very site on another thread, and so I had a 'chat' with a few service managers around the country. It seems that when the boat finally comes in (they all say mid-July) then the shipment will be processed centrally and allocated to service centres based on demand and on a 'first come first served' basis. So in theory what I think they are saying is that basically you need to get in the queue and you will be allocated a 'slot' based on a central allocation. So you won't gain any advantage in 'shopping around', which is what I wondered.
Like many on here I have a significant windscreen crack (luckily on the passenger side) and can still drive, but the crack is growing. It might interest people in a similar situation that the rate of growth has slowed considerably since I did a 'repair' with the cheap resin kit you can buy in Halfords etc - there is a chap mentioned earlier in this thread who's done a little YouTube video on it....
Let's hope it stays that way till mid-July, and let's also hope that the boat arrives on time with enough windscreens to go around. Presumably the boat must have now left port, so hopefully the Mid-July date is a bit more solid than just pure speculation...

[lots of stuff]… hopefully the Mid-July date is a bit more solid than just pure speculation...
Coming late to this thread, and apologies I can’t face reading all 10 pages.
I’ve been waiting on a windscreen since January. Initially through Autoglass, and now through Tesla.
Has anyone had any consideration/success rejecting the car via the lease company for this ridiculous situation?
Otherwise, I guess I have my fingers crossed for the July boat.

Well £783 lighter and I have it fixed , they had to have it overnight for glass to bond . I booked it last Thursday and had the option for Friday here in Aberdeen but I was south of Hull at the time . So I took it in 9am Monday. I also got 33Kw added today before I picked it up.
Jeeeez. So while I’m pleased for you that you’ve got yours turned round quickly I’m absolutely fuming to read that it happened. Six bloody months!

Hey all, I'm in the same boat as you...
Had a chip in my glass and was initially waiting on autoglass to replace it but now the chip has become a crack horizontal across the drivers side and I've got agreement from my insurance to cover the cost via tesla as Autoglass have no stock.

But the invoice I got from Tesla seems ridiculously low at £400.66...so have chased for them to confirm as I need to get approval from my insurance for the cost.

Either way I've booked in the service appointment with Tesla but they haven't got an ETA for the glass.

In the mean time, can anyone recommend a good resin product that has worked for them to hold the crack and stop it from getting worse?

Had a chip in my glass and was initially waiting on autoglass to replace it but now the chip has become a crack horizontal across the drivers side and I've got agreement from my insurance to cover the cost via tesla as Autoglass have no stock.

But the invoice I got from Tesla seems ridiculously low at £400.66...so have chased for them to confirm as I need to get approval from my insurance for the cost.
I wonder if that is just the labour cost?

I wonder if that is just the labour cost?
Yeah it looks like they costed everything else except the windscreen... Chased them a couple times in the app chat.
Will need to chase again tomorrow, maybe they may not have a cost if they are trying to source from multiple suppliers... But useless them not giving it any cost, I need to send it to my insurance company so they approve the value, I'm sure they won't mind some general variance in the final amount.

Guys,

I know it's cold comfort to those without a car due to a crack - but just to say thanks for posting about all the problems/stock shortage.

I picked up a chip in the B area of my windscreen at noon - around 10mm edge to edge, way smaller than the £2 coin test and outside of the 30cm centred on the wheel - with a couple of radial cracks that may have spread for all I know (I hear there's some thermal stress possible these days!).

As a result of this thread - called Autoglass and they have just fixed with a mobile unit (4.5hrs later). Confirmed 6-8mth wait on glass and said fixes with Tesla glass often non-optimal - but I luckily got good results (TBC the next few days ref aforementioned heat stress).

So thanks for letting me to know to get it done pronto prior to spread - and the catastrophic result it can knock your car off the road for months.

I hope the mid-July boat is big and packed with windscreens for you all - good luck.

Either way I've booked in the service appointment with Tesla but they haven't got an ETA for the glass.

In the mean time, can anyone recommend a good resin product that has worked for them to hold the crack and stop it from getting worse?
Just checked my invoice from 20th June , windscreen £358.33 +Vat (£430). And labour £294.5 + vat (£353.40)

That was Aberdeen Service Center .

Still haven got my cash from Zurich though

Reactions: Awesome_O
I picked up a chip at the weekend which has morphed into a large crack.

Had an appointment at Bedford Autoglass to get windscreen replaced but they've just called to cancel as no glass coming in.

Sounds like I'm going to be joining the queue to get this done.

How is this even acceptable in this day and age that replacement windscreens are not available? Not like they have computer chips in them...!