Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windscreen replacement...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mark_T

Nov 1, 2017
UK
... seems I'll get to find out how good Autoglass are with Teslas...

Still not sure what hit the windscreen as I was only moving at about 15-20mph as was the traffic going the other way but the impact sounded more like a gun shot.

There is evidence of an external point impact and a few mins later a crack had started to move up the screen, so no chance of a chip repair.

Anyway, process has begun, got an appointment for Monday, let's see if they actually have a screen by then :)

Autoglass, or similar, did mine a while back. All seemed fine, thorough job, arrived with the right piece of glass :) but after a few days I got creaking from the headliners and I wasn't confident they could sort it so i took it to Tesla SC and they fixed it.

Reactions: Mark_T
Just make sure they put it in at the right level and you don’t end up with a roof protruding and get more wind noise. They didn’t do my windscreen but did do the roof glass (and cracked the rear window during the job) but now it sits too high and there is a lip so wind noise has increased. They did replace the rear window FoC after some moaning but was messed around for over 3 months and 2 visits to one of their workshops. Hopefully it’ll go through a breeze being the windscreen.

Reactions: Mark_T
First visit was a short one... wrong glass...

The Autoglass part number sticker showed the right part number but the glass itself was wrong.

It was for a model S, just not the right one...

Appointment rescheduled for Wednesday.

Good luck. What’s ADAS

Advanced driver-assistance systems

Essentially any of the newer windscreen camera based systems being fitted to many different cars these days.

Since they have to remove and refit them when replacing windscreens they have realized there is money to be made in 're-calibrating' them.

Some do need to be re-calibrated, but not all.

Tesla AP2.5 does not need it (according to Tesla) but doesn't stop AutoGlass from pitching the service anyway...

• Informative
Reactions: Fellsteruk
Shouldn’t the recalibration be all part of the replacement windscreen service?

I just had my windscreen on my Mercedes E350 replaced through my insurance via Auto Windscreens, they came out and replaced the screen, then made an appointment for me with Mercedes to recalibrate the camera with no extra cost to myself other than my £50 windscreen excess.

First visit was a short one... wrong glass...

The Autoglass part number sticker showed the right part number but the glass itself was wrong.

It was for a model S, just not the right one...

Appointment rescheduled for Wednesday.

This seems to be a common occurrence, though it sounds like they checked before taking the old glass out at least, which sadly wasn't the case for me... then they had to put the original, now even more smashed glass back in :eek:

This seems to be a common occurrence, though it sounds like they checked before taking the old glass out at least, which sadly wasn't the case for me... then they had to put the original, now even more smashed glass back in :eek:

Being somewhat forewarned we both checked :)

To give him full credit he spotted the problem immediately, he has done a few Tesla’s now and noticed a subtle difference in the tint of the screen.

Even the S screen is marginal as a one man job

When mine was done the company wanted me to take the car to their service centre. I assumed something particularly complicated, but turned out they just wanted to do it in the dry ...

I asked if the farmer's barn next door would do to avoid the hassle of the inconvenience.

When the guy came out (nice sunny day, he just replaced ti on my drive) he said he didn't like to do "posh cars" int he rain with only his pop-up gazebo ... fair enough ... and, yeah, he did say that MS screen was a bit of a struggle for one bod.

Work is in progress...

Interesting thing is, the glass the guy turned up with 2 days ago was actually correct, different letter code but still correct.

Last time without any prompting from me the technician declared it wrong and claimed he saw a few small details that confirmed it was wrong.

This time I phoned Tesla to check and they confirmed it is simply an updated version of the same glass, so all good.

Almost done now and a potential problem for an older issue.

While removing the original screen he noticed that there was an 8 inch section of the screen that had not been bonded at the factory which he was surprised to find had not been letting in rain, but would have been adding wind-noise.

Keen to discover if this fixes the noise that others have noticed when making phone-calls from the car in motion...

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Went out for a test drive.

Good news is that it seems to have made zero difference to my AP performance, TACC and AP worked immediately and just as well as it did before the change.

No phantom braking no issues.

The oddity is that my auto-wipers appear not to work and the auto-headlights are on all the time.

Now I know that the auto-headlights are far from perfect and do come on even in daylight sometimes, but I don't recall them staying on all the time in the early afternoon.

The wipers have previously worked well for me but now it is like putting them in auto-mode makes zero difference. The first and second positions have the wipers working intermittently exactly the same as if the auto option was off.

Just as a data-point, the auto-main beam function is working perfectly, no change there.

Also checked the dashcam and all cameras working fine there.

So as far as I can tell, the cameras are hooked up and working, just not getting auto-wipers and auto-lights for some reason.

Tried a four-finger reset and it made no difference...