Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windscreen / Wipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if this has been posted. I've googled but haven't found anything specific.

My daily commute is about 60 miles. About 30 of that motorway.

I've already gone through my screenwash after picking my car up on 18 December. I find I'm having to constantly use it to clear the window, I'd say about ever 3-5 miles. There always seems to be a streak of dirt in the bottom right window and the window just gets filthy so fast.

Could it be dodgy wipers ? Is it normal for a Model 3? Never had this problem on my previous car just wondering if anyone else found this issue.

Many reports on how long the wiper fluid lasts. I think I've topped up ours twice in 15months, 8000 miles.

Could it be that you are over using the washers, expecting to have a windscreen full of water? Thats not how it works, presumably using less water but direct to the screen rather than spraying everyone else on the road.

That said, far drivers side of the windscreen does seem to suffer from having the leftovers. Ours stops spraying water with wipers still well into passenger side, so nothing fresh being deposited on drivers side of windscreen.

I would recommend cleaning the whole windscreen with a proper glass cleaner (not household) as many have reported smeary glass from new.

My car has been as good as it could be in all respects but I had a replacement windscreen in the avatar car some years ago which was dreadful. Autoglass installed it and when I returned to them, they used an industrial glass cleaner which dried quickly to a powder when used. Even gave me the rest of the bottle.

My original Californian screen wash lasted for many months but admittedly was from March 2020.

I recenlty had a smear of something stubborn that ordinary window cleaner didn't shift - clay-barring the wondscreen was my answer.
I did read somewhere that xxx finest wire wool is the best windscreen cleaner but lack the courage to try that.

Not sure if this has been posted. I've googled but haven't found anything specific.

My daily commute is about 60 miles. About 30 of that motorway.

I've already gone through my screenwash after picking my car up on 18 December. I find I'm having to constantly use it to clear the window, I'd say about ever 3-5 miles. There always seems to be a streak of dirt in the bottom right window and the window just gets filthy so fast.

Could it be dodgy wipers ? Is it normal for a Model 3? Never had this problem on my previous car just wondering if anyone else found this issue.

My washer fluid seems to last longer than any other car I've known! It uses a much smaller amount with each spray because it is delivered directly to the screen from the wiper. Streaking hasn't been a noticeable issue for me though I know how annoying that can be when it happens. I don't routinely require to drive in convoys of heavy traffic in bad winter conditions ... perhaps you do? I would suggest having a go at carefully cleaning the wiper blades and the windscreen itself. Some people have reported that their wiper blades appear to be contaminated and don't work smoothly. I would speculate that the screen was not super clean when the car was new and has acquired some deposits early in life. I was fortunate that mine were very smooth from new and this is my second winter with the same blades still operating well.

Reactions: exlatccatsa
I recenlty had a smear of something stubborn that ordinary window cleaner didn't shift - clay-barring the wondscreen was my answer.
I did read somewhere that xxx finest wire wool is the best windscreen cleaner but lack the courage to try that.

I used a kitchen sink "plastic" pan cleaner pad once many years ago to remove stubborn flies from my cars windscreen.

Bugger if I scratched the whole surface as it was impregnated with something that was harder than glass!

Luckily I had a small crack that "somehow" grew longer and got it replaced! :p