Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it madness that wipers can't be controlled by the driver on cruise control or autopilot mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in Canada. The snow is here and so is the salt and sand on the roads. The car gets filthy on every drive. There is no option to turn off auto wipers when my 2020 M3 is in cruise control or autopilot mode. The wipers kick on constantly streaking my windows. The only way to turn them off is to go off autopilot and/or cruise control. I have essentially not been able to use either autopilot or cruise control for three weeks now since the winter weather has arrived. This is because of a software update. This is my third winter with the car and I haven't had this problem before. I've called Tesla again today on this issue and was told that they are looking to make this a permanent feature. If that is the case, I will sell my car. It is making me hate the Tesla experience. What is the logic behind not allowing a driver to control his/her own wipers?!?!? I will never know.

That has been answered before. Tesla enable auto wipers so the cameras can see well, just like auto high beams. It's not for the humans inside the car :)
If that is so then why does not using the wipers (auto or not) resolve the issue? The wipers don't quit even if you do a full windshield wash (actually the first thing I tried).

Anyway, today I cleaned the glass in front of the camera(s) - but it made no difference. As soon as I got on the freeway and engaged CC the wipers started up. So I disengaged CC and turned the wipers off. This time the weather was overcast (around dawn) with no precipitation.
After going over the pass I found the weather in the valley like yesterday - low clouds and fog, and very slight preciptitation. I put he wipers in Auto (but no CC). Nothing. After a couple of miles I engaged CC. Still nothing for
the remainder of the way. So I guess congratulations are in order for Tesla concerning their counter-intuitive
wildshield wipers (work when they shouldnt, and don't when they should)!

Dave

Upvote 0
You might not be getting my point. If you use Cruise, Autopilot etc, the car turns on auto wipers and prevents you from turning them off (presumably) so cameras have the best picture possible. You can also use auto wipers separately if you want during normal driving. In ALL cases auto wipers have issues... sometimes they work great and sometimes they wipe for no reason, independently of the mode you are driving in.

I'm not saying Tesla are doing a great job... I'm just trying to explain why they turn on auto-wipers when the AI is driving.

Upvote 0
You might not be getting my point. If you use Cruise, Autopilot etc, the car turns on auto wipers and prevents you from turning them off (presumably) so cameras have the best picture possible. You can also use auto wipers separately if you want during normal driving. In ALL cases auto wipers have issues... sometimes they work great and sometimes they wipe for no reason, independently of the mode you are driving in.

I'm not saying Tesla are doing a great job... I'm just trying to explain why they turn on auto-wipers when the AI is driving.
Still doesn’t explain why this isn’t forced on the s/x

Reactions: KevinT3141
Upvote 0
If that is so then why does not using the wipers (auto or not) resolve the issue? The wipers don't quit even if you do a full windshield wash (actually the first thing I tried).

Anyway, today I cleaned the glass in front of the camera(s) - but it made no difference. As soon as I got on the freeway and engaged CC the wipers started up. So I disengaged CC and turned the wipers off. This time the weather was overcast (around dawn) with no precipitation.
After going over the pass I found the weather in the valley like yesterday - low clouds and fog, and very slight preciptitation. I put he wipers in Auto (but no CC). Nothing. After a couple of miles I engaged CC. Still nothing for
the remainder of the way. So I guess congratulations are in order for Tesla concerning their counter-intuitive
wildshield wipers (work when they shouldnt, and don't when they should)!

Dave

I've also noticed there is a startup problem: the autowipers often start out going off much more than they should, but calm down after a minute or two. Sometimes you just need to do one wash and let it cry itself out.

In this particular case, I'm guessing problem was probably glare from dawn resulted in a blurrier image or something which falsely triggered the autowiping. When it was low clouds and fog, the light was more diffuse so it worked better.

Upvote 0
Terminology issue. Anyway, I haven't tried the "Autopilot" yet
Again, what's you're calling "cruise control" is auto pilot. It has been standard on every Tesla since spring 2019. It will slow down the car automatically from your set speed if the car in front slows down and it will keep the car in its current lane by steering for you.

There is no way to turn off car-following (I believe you can turn off auto steer). Since new cars do not have radar, for car following to work, the car will automatically turn on lights and wipers so that the camera remains clear.

Upvote 0
Again, what's you're calling "cruise control" is auto pilot. It has been standard on every Tesla since spring 2019. It will slow down the car automatically from your set speed if the car in front slows down and it will keep the car in its current lane by steering for you.

There is no way to turn off car-following (I believe you can turn off auto steer). Since new cars do not have radar, for car following to work, the car will automatically turn on lights and wipers so that the camera remains clear.
On my car (about a month old now), "Autosteer" (Beta) is a separate function within "Autopilot" that one can turn on or off at will. As previously mentioned, I haven't tried it yet (saving that for a road trip - which I haven't had the opportunity to take). As for "Car Following", IMHO that is a useful function that will enhance safety when closing with a vehicle ahead of you in your lane. What is not welcome is that the "Autopilot" will also slow down for nonexistant hazards. Driving down a mountain I occasionally find the car braking when there is nothing ahead of me (and no good reason to do so). Must make me look like a Brake Artist to anyone following. The solution to that one is simple - just turn it off!

Don't know if I will like Autosteer or not. Might be a good thing on a long boring drive - but we'll see.

Dave

Upvote 0
That has been answered before. Tesla enable auto wipers so the cameras can see well, just like auto high beams. It's not for the humans inside the car :)
At least with the high beams you can turn them off once engaging AP turns them on. Of course you have to do that every time you cancel and re-engage AP. I'd much rather have the option to turn off the wipers or set them to my desired setting with AP on and then have the car tell me it is going to cancel AP if it can't see. I'm fairly sure I could get the wipers set on a reasonable speed that the car would be fine seeing ahead to drive in AP.

Reactions: lensovet
Upvote 0
I live in Canada. The snow is here and so is the salt and sand on the roads. The car gets filthy on every drive. There is no option to turn off auto wipers when my 2020 M3 is in cruise control or autopilot mode. The wipers kick on constantly streaking my windows. The only way to turn them off is to go off autopilot and/or cruise control. I have essentially not been able to use either autopilot or cruise control for three weeks now since the winter weather has arrived. This is because of a software update. This is my third winter with the car and I haven't had this problem before. I've called Tesla again today on this issue and was told that they are looking to make this a permanent feature. If that is the case, I will sell my car. It is making me hate the Tesla experience. What is the logic behind not allowing a driver to control his/her own wipers?!?!? I will never know.
The arrogant Muskrats have no idea of either customer satisfaction or driver safety. That's what happens when only those in the bosses image get hired. Only those with the highest frint botty factor get hired!

Upvote 0
At least with the high beams you can turn them off once engaging AP turns them on. Of course you have to do that every time you cancel and re-engage AP. I'd much rather have the option to turn off the wipers or set them to my desired setting with AP on and then have the car tell me it is going to cancel AP if it can't see. I'm fairly sure I could get the wipers set on a reasonable speed that the car would be fine seeing ahead to drive in AP.
The bollox answer regarding cameras is what I would expect from a disingenuous Muskrat. How is smearing filth on a dry windscreen going to improve camera visibility?

Reactions: KevinT3141
Upvote 0
The bollox answer regarding cameras is what I would expect from a disingenuous Muskrat. How is smearing filth on a dry windscreen going to improve camera visibility?
It doesn't know the difference between 'filth' and 'rain'. In most of the cases, it thinks visibility is lower because it started raining and turns on the wipers. It's a California car, not a Canada car. :|

I'm not justifying it, I'm explaining it. If there's filth then maybe the window washing can help (but sometimes it doesn't), but otherwise there isn't any solution other than not using automated driving. Human eyeballs are well behind the windscreen and can see better and certainly interpret better.

Another possible approach is for people to manually get the windscreen as clean as it can be, and set the wiper manually to a moderate speed that keeps it clean enough, and only then turn on AP. Does that help? I think in my 3, the wipers cannot be set to 'off' in AP, but they can be set to a manual speed.

Upvote 0
It doesn't know the difference between 'filth' and 'rain'. In most of the cases, it thinks visibility is lower because it started raining and turns on the wipers. It's a California car, not a Canada car. :|

I'm not justifying it, I'm explaining it. If there's filth then maybe the window washing can help (but sometimes it doesn't), but otherwise there isn't any solution other than not using automated driving. Human eyeballs are well behind the windscreen and can see better and certainly interpret better.

Another possible approach is for people to manually get the windscreen as clean as it can be, and set the wiper manually to a moderate speed that keeps it clean enough, and only then turn on AP. Does that help? I think in my 3, the wipers cannot be set to 'off' in AP, but they can be set to a manual speed.
Wipers wiping over bugs on a dry windshield will spread that around. Having the wipers constantly on with a dry windshield in general will just scratch it up long term.

Also you can’t manually set the speed in autopilot. There are definitely times when I’m driving in a downpour and I want the wipers going faster than they are and end up being stuck holding the button halfway.

Upvote 0
Yes, agree! Tesla should let the HUMAN have some ability to override an automatic setting, at least in cruise control drive mode ! -- like all other cars. The thing is if auto wiper sensor is smart enough, fine, let it control. But, IT IS NOT. I have had a few occasions when it was bright sunshine day, and and wiper auto on at autopilot and cruise control driving modes. Also, another bad thing is after the auto-pilot/cruise control is turned off, the wiper still stays at the auto mode -- keep working :(. This is a very stupid design.

Reactions: rjpjnk
Upvote 0
Yes, agree! Tesla should let the HUMAN have some ability to override an automatic setting, at least in cruise control drive mode ! -- like all other cars. The thing is if auto wiper sensor is smart enough, fine, let it control. But, IT IS NOT. I have had a few occasions when it was bright sunshine day, and and wiper auto on at autopilot and cruise control driving modes. Also, another bad thing is after the auto-pilot/cruise control is turned off, the wiper still stays at the auto mode -- keep working :(. This is a very stupid design.
I frequently have to override my wipers on AUTO, though I’ve not tried to turn them off entirely. I’m usually in a deluge needing more. I have the icon moved onto my screen so it’s quick and easy to access.

Upvote 0