Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield fracture

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday we had a small object strike the M3 windshield near the lower left edge that has turned into a crack extending to nearly the center camera location at the top-middle. One Tesla service tech said that this was not the first comment they'd received. Other Tesla Service people are saying that this problem is likely not covered by the Warranty. My 5-year-old Model S has many of these hits, with no ill effects. So I'd appreciate comments from those of you that have been similarly impacted.

Also, Tesla Service referred me to Safelite Co., that they had a contract with Tesla to do these repairs, and that taking my car to the Service Center would just add a day to the repair cycle as they would just take the car to Safelite. On hearing the no-warranty comment, I called Safelite directly, to learn that (at least the local operator of) Safelite had broken off support of all Tesla window repairs for reason of non-reply by Tesla of parts orders, etc.

Comments welcome and encouraged. Happy Holidays to all.

There are some other threads I've read lately on the Model 3 forum on windshield chips and cracks and getting repairs or replacement. Might do a search for windshield in this forum section. There were also discussions about who they can take the cars to. Since I'm in northern Calif was kind of focused on those posts so don't recall any southern Calif comments.

I do recall reading that because the cameras are attached to the windshield that after replacing the windshield you'll want to have Tesla Service calibrate the camera. But owners were finding shops to have the replacement done for the glass work.

Ah, I found this thread in the California section but it's the one I remember reading but northern Calif. Rock Chip on Windshield (in Bay Area - CA)
It might have some useful info inside about the process -- BTW TMC member @Need who posted in the thread had a windshield replaced and his member info lists him as SoCal, maybe PM him to see if he can help -- but if you don't find any threads with southern Calif sources, post a thread in this section as well asking in the thread title specifically for a shop in your area. Given our great highways in California I'm sure there are others in your area that are in need of this service or had it done.

Please post back with how yours got replaced.

Last edited: