Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y front windshield replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nah, the system is nowhere near that sensitive. Autopilot and FSD use the same 1.2 MP cameras that provide as much detail as a lower-end digital camera from twenty years ago. There are aftermarket glass manufacturers, and I've never heard of an Autopilot issue with them. The cameras have a calibration procedure that can be triggered from the service screen, and they simply need to see the road in the right places.

Any piece of glass precise enough to fit the opening is going to do just fine.

really 1.2MP? No wonder it sees a truck everytime I pull into my garage ;)

Glad I passed on the professional calibration procedure and just DIY triggered from the service screen. USAA paid about $1200 for the replacement but I can't tell if installer billed professional calibration procedure anyways

Two points.

1. I cannot speak to the quality of the glass Tesla uses. My assumption is that it is equal to what others use. Having said this, my 2020 MY, purchased in October of that year, has had the windshield replaced 3 times. In my previous 40 plus years of driving, I had one front glass replaced (a BMW). Speaking with the SafeLight folks, they think it’s the large size of the Tesla windshield and possibly the angle. The quality, they say, is equal to others, but that all manufacturers are using thinner glass in modern cars. Fortunately for me, my insurance has covered each replacement and, as of this writing, I have not received an angry message from them. Let me finish here that I do not drive on dirt or back roads. Each time I was on a well maintained roadway.

2. I’m glad that I’m not the only one that has a car which thinks there is a large truck in my car when I pull in each night. Funny.

Reactions: TomB985
Highly unlikely. The cameras are located in the center where the windshield is flat, and also camera is not that sensitive. How do I know? Mine came with actual oily finger prints inside the camera housing right in front of those three cameras.
If you look at it from the front, those finger prints were actually blocking the view, so that I couldn't see the camera. The AP worked perfectly fine with no error messages at all.
I was able to wipe off the finger prints after a few months of ownership when I was installing the aftermarket dashcam.
My car also has finger prints between the camera housing and the windshield on the inside. How difficult is it to get in there? Did you go by any guidance or videos when removing it?

Highly un-scientific reasoning.
So everything that you do is based on scientific studies? How about, you point me to a study that is relevant to windshield glass for each car manufacturer?

That’s the problem with internet forums. They’re heavily biased towards those who have issues because that’s how many of us find the site. If you read the forum of any vehicle out there, you’d log out thinking that it would fall apart any second.

Tesla glass comes from Saint Gobain Sekurit, which is a worldwide glass corporation that makes OEM and aftermarket glass for numerous manufacturers, including BMW.
1. The internet is also the platform that allows people to share information and voice our concerns. Moreover, gauge how many other users are having the same issues. Some of these so-called “biased” opinions on different forums turn out to be right. As in some cases, the manufacturer put out recalls to address the issue.

2. Any product can come from the same factory and still have different quality. As not all customers pays for the same grade of materials and design can alter strength and quality of materials.

Two points.

1. I cannot speak to the quality of the glass Tesla uses. My assumption is that it is equal to what others use. Having said this, my 2020 MY, purchased in October of that year, has had the windshield replaced 3 times. In my previous 40 plus years of driving, I had one front glass replaced (a BMW). Speaking with the SafeLight folks, they think it’s the large size of the Tesla windshield and possibly the angle. The quality, they say, is equal to others, but that all manufacturers are using thinner glass in modern cars. Fortunately for me, my insurance has covered each replacement and, as of this writing, I have not received an angry message from them. Let me finish here that I do not drive on dirt or back roads. Each time I was on a well maintained roadway.

2. I’m glad that I’m not the only one that has a car which thinks there is a large truck in my car when I pull in each night. Funny.
The windshield I had to replaced was also a BMW (528i), owned the car for 8 years. Out of 11 cars I’ve owned. My Model 3 take the prize for quickest to get windshield damaged.

How common is a stress crack on Model Y windshields? I just got a new Model Y delivered a few days ago and discovered a long foot-long crack on the passenger side of the windshield. I am not aware of any stone or rock impact on the windshield. I am fighting Tesla to cover the repair and they want to charge me $1,286 to replace the windshield. That is so ridiculous for a new car that I just bought. They claim they don't cover windshield damage but I truly believe it is a stress crack as it is more than a foot long. A crack caused by a stone would usually start small and get longer as time goes by. I only have the car for a few days after delivery.
I just had mine replaced for the same issue. I never noticed a chip or rock hitting it a t any time. literally sitting in the garage overnight and noticed a huge crack on the passenger side starting somewhere down by the right wiper and a good eight inches up...
Could a sudden drop in temperature cause this by some manufacturing issue?
Cost me about 500 bucks after insurance through Safelite. Luckily no waiting for the part here. Los Angeles area.

I got my M3 used from Tesla 3 weeks ago. They had to delay my pick up because they discovered a crack on the windshield. Great! Works for me. However, I have only had the car for 3 weeks and it already got a windshield chip while I was driving on the freeway.

This is no big deal because I know my insurance covers for chip repairs with $0 deductible, only full replacement required a deductible. When I filed the claim for my previous car, any crack smaller than a dollar bill can be repaired. Anything larger needs to be replaced.

Reading through this thread, I get a sense that Tesla’s glass is “inferior” somehow. In my 10 years of owning my BMW, the window only cracked once and that’s the one I replaced through my insurance (cost without insurance would have been $2K). Come on, 3 weeks? Repairing is not a big deal since insurance is going to pay for it, but it would be a big deal if I have to do it multiple time a year.
60k miles in Montana with my 2019 M3P, mostly interstate and a fair amount of dirt/gravel roads, both where the rocks constantly sling by, and now my first windshield crack. Windshields all crack in Montana, it's just a thing. 60k crack-free miles is more than I have gotten with any other car. Lot of windshield hits and paint chips but the first expanded/expanding crack. So for me, the Tesla windshield has been tougher than most. But like running over a nail it's as much luck as anything.

Anyone have any feedback on using Safelite versus a Tesla Service Center for windshield replacement? Seems Safelite is going to have a ton more experience with windshields since that is all they do but TSC will be better about camera calibration and the electronics side?

Anyone have any feedback on using Safelite versus a Tesla Service Center for windshield replacement? Seems Safelite is going to have a ton more experience with windshields since that is all they do but TSC will be better about camera calibration and the electronics side?

I had a small third-party installer do the windshield on my Model 3. There’s not much to worry about with the cameras; you run recalibration from the Service menu after the install. My installer didn’t do anything with it, and I never had any issues.

I’d much rather have a windshield pro do the work than a general tech at my service center. It’s a very different procedure than most other work, and leaks can cause big problems down the road.

Reactions: woolymammoth17
Adding in my experience for info.
tldr: Had a 2013 Model S for 4 years without a crack. 2021 Model Y that's garage kept 98% of the time: 2 cracks in two years (one caused by rock, other no known cause). First replaced by Tesla within 24 hours, no issues. Second is pending (just happened) Florida: insurance covers 100%.

I had a 2013 model S for 4 years before trading in for a Y. That was a massive windshield but I never got a crack in it, both luck from no rocks hitting, and no stress cracks.

Shortly after getting my Model Y mid-2021, I had a rock hit my windshield on the bottom driver side corner in the black that stared out as a Starburst crack which quickly turned into a crack across half of my windshield (same day).
20210923_060124~2.jpg

Initially I went to the safelite website which advised it could be weeks before replacement because they had to order it, and I'd need to take the car to Tesla calibrate the camera after (this was before calibrate was an option in the menu.) I came on this forum for some research and read about some safelite replacements not going as well due to delays in getting the windshield and it cracking en route, also issues with them damaging the cameras on install (which could happen to any vehicle with those cameras, at any replacement place). I read that the service center could do it and then you put a claim in with your insurance for reimbursement if you could pay the full replacement upfront.

I put a service request in with Tesla, who contacted me within a couple of hours of placing it. They advised that the service center in my city didn't have the windshield in stock and would order one, but that the next nearest service center had one in stock and could replace it next morning. Since it was a huge crack across the driver side, I didn't want to wait (plus I enjoy visiting the city the service center is in).
Side note: I've dealt with my service center for 6 years now and I've always had good experiences with them, the one who replaced my windshield was great too.

Drive up next morning, they provided a rental (this was in 2021 when rentals were more common) and within a couple hours it was replaced, no issues. I had no issues wih the windshield after install either.

Fast forward almost 2 years later, today, and I woke up to a crack on my passenger side from the edge. This time a rock didn't hit, zero impack points, so it is most certainly a stress crack. I just put a service request in, let's see how this one goes. Hoping warranty covers without issues, but thankfully my insurance would cover if it came down to it.

20230409_065508.jpg20230409_065540.jpg

I live in FL where insurance covers windshield replacement without the deductible. I paid the service center for the windshield ($1400 or so) and submitted to my insurance (progressive), and had a check in the mail for the full amount shortly after.

Last edited:
Potential impact area by looking at your pictures. again, I am not the expert or owner, so I am probably wrong. LOL

View attachment 926567

View attachment 926565
The first picture is a shadow difference, it's one straight line, no indention in those two areas that indicate impact. The whole line is as straight/clean as though it was cut with an exact-o knife.

So far my service center has advice they don't replace windshields and to use a 3rd party. If this is potentially a warranty issue, a 3rd party isn't going to cover it without going to my insurance, so I feel a service center would need to do it or at least inspect it first.

Potential impact area by looking at your pictures. again, I am not the expert or owner, so I am probably wrong. LOL

View attachment 926567

View attachment 926565
Hard to get a good photo but here are some closeups. As I mentioned in my post above, it's a perfect cut on the entire crack, not a single chip around it to indicate impact (although, couple spots in the photo look like there may be chips, but it's dust/dirt.)

20230410_211207.jpg20230410_211210.jpg

Last edited: