TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Windshield replacement cost

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by M3Edm, May 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. M3Edm

M3Edm Member

Model 3 reservation holder here and just trying to estimate the costs of owning one. A cost I assume that will be significant for me will be the windshield since the car will be used for highway travel 90% of the time (40k km annually), in Edmonton, AB, where a bunch of sand (and rocks) are always on the road. Our current vehicle, we have to replace the windshield every 2 years. Currently a normal windshield replacement for our vehicle is only $250-300 CAD.

Has anyone replaced their windshield? If so, is it around $1500 USD? What's everyone's thoughts on aftermarket windshield options becoming available once hundreds of thousands of model 3's are on the road? Think the price will drop significantly?

2. rhaekar

rhaekar Member

I would think it would be just a little more than the average price since it's a big piece of glass. Not sure about Canadian companies but Tesla recommended using Safelite sicne their service center is pretty busy.

3. M3Edm

M3Edm Member

Hi Rhaekar, so does Safelite already have windshield replacements for the Model 3? Is it a lot cheaper?

4. SigNC

SigNC Member

$916 USD. I got one quoted recently from service center. It also has defroster in front of the cameras which is going to add to the cost over a regular piece of glass.

5. M3Edm

M3Edm Member

Thanks for the update SigNC. That was installed then? Great to see prices are lower than what I've been finding from previous posts.

6. adaptabl

adaptabl Member

I would say 4-5 times the cost of a std windshield.

7. rhaekar

rhaekar Member

I didn't have to do it myself, I was just asking for a friend since I was already at the service center. Safelite just orders it from Tesla and installs it. My windshield was replaced by Tesla under warranty. I had a small streak in between the panes of glass.

8. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Why would you think it would be that expensive? The windshield for the S is no more than what a comparable car's windshield costs.