Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield washer fluid (antifreeze) for snow trip?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Going to Mammoth in a few weeks and will need to park the car outside (no garage). Looks like temperature will dip into the teens overnight which will freeze the windshield wiper fluid. I can't seem to find antifreeze windshield wiper fluids anywhere in SoCal. Can I buy some on the way there, and is there any long-term issues with corrosion if using antifreeze windshield wiper fluid for the Model Y?

The stuff I bought in Reno after having my wiper system freeze going over the pass wasn't good enough to not freeze itself going back over the pass. Good luck. Stop and wipe the windshield down before the temps get too low. That's how I survived until I got down to Auburn or Sacramento when my system started working again.

Reactions: CyanideDN
Basically the solutions cold hardiness improve by altitude. Going to 4000 feet will get you a pretty good antifreeze. Going to 6000 feet will give you the hardiest.

So you would have to take a trip to one of SoCals mountain communities to get the best fluid.

EDIT: If your fluid is almost low, or you can drain a fair amount out, just buy some fluid in Bishop on the way up and top it off.

Reactions: CyanideDN
You actually can't buy the freeze-proof stuff in areas that don't regularly freeze, because CARB says no.

You should be able to pick some up on the way once you get to the mountains.

Last edited: