Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield washer spray issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed since I've had my new S for a few months, that for the first 1/4 second or so that I use the washers to clean the windshield, that the spray just comes out in a mist cloud from the drivers side nozzle. Then it goes to a stream. Its like its hitting something. Maybe the wiper arm? Anyone else notice this? Is it something that can be fixed?

To me it sounds like the fluid is leaking out of the hose or the like. So when you start the spray again it has to fill up the hose again.

Think of it like a garden hose than only has some water in it. When you turn on the hose again, you will not get water immediately out of the other end.

I would check for leaks.

Do you have the heated seats package?

If so: the windshield nozzles are heated as well and because of that not a spray but a stream of water that relies on the windshield wiper to distribute. Also not adjustable either. I noticed the difference with a loaner that did not have the heated nozzles and was a well distributed spray like all other cars.

Do you have the heated seats package?

If so: the windshield nozzles are heated as well and because of that not a spray but a stream of water that relies on the windshield wiper to distribute. Also not adjustable either. I noticed the difference with a loaner that did not have the heated nozzles and was a well distributed spray like all other cars.

My car does have the cold weather package

Here's what is going on... The thin flat part of the wiper arm is directly in front of the nozzles on the drivers side. The washer stream is coming out, and hitting the underside of that flat arm, and being further deflected downward. If I press the button just enough to activate the wipers, pause just abit, then press it the rest of the way to activate the washers, both sides will have a nice solid stream.
I do have the cold weather package, and in order for the wiper arm to distribute the fluid, it would have to shoot above the wiper blade. I'll see if service can adjust the nozzles up abit.
So if you think you are having issues with the nozzles, engage the wipers, and just after the wipers have started to move, hit the washers, and see if everything looks normal.

I believe it's not the spreading of the washing fluid that is the issue but the stream of water instead of a wide spray. The difference is if you have the subzero package or not. See information from service center posted from someone in the last paragraph here:

Windshield Washers - stream not spray ? | Tesla

"They discovered that if the car does not have the subzero weather package, they could have been changed over. But, if the car has the subzero weather package with the heated nozzles, those only come in the stream form and can't use the spray kind. Basically there would be some kind of wiring connection that would be left open and would probably be throwing a bunch of errors from being disconnected."

In the 3 years I've had the car, the windshield sprayers have never sprayed properly. Mobile service has come out to adjust them, to no avail. The driver's side barely sprays anything, and the passenger's side sprays up over the top of the car. It doesn't even hit the windshield. I'm not super handy, but I can follow directions if I have a video or photo of what I need to adjust. I have heated seats according to those who know better than me, seems to make a difference as far as the adjustment. If someone has a link to a video or photo, I'd appreciate it.

If you want better windshield sprayers you can buy the upgraded ones from Tesla that makes a giant spray instead of 4 separated sprays.

They don't sell the old ones anymore btw.

20200526_191855.jpg