Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield wipers running on high when engaging auto pilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry for the repeat posts, I just don’t see and edit function here-

I read this thread and wiped off the area around the sensor / cameras, and it still triggers. Interestingly, I discovered it’s the orange mercury halide street lamps that trigger it.

Give it a try; if you’re out in the country, you probably won’t encounter this.

Sorry for the repeat posts, I just don’t see and edit function here-

I read this thread and wiped off the area around the sensor / cameras, and it still triggers. Interestingly, I discovered it’s the orange mercury halide street lamps that trigger it.

Give it a try; if you’re out in the country, you probably won’t encounter this.
Interesting... They replaced all the mercury vapor lamps around here with LEDs a while ago...

I’m having this exact issue. I took delivery of my Y on Thursday and now it turns on my wipers at night, super annoying.
Interesting... They replaced all the mercury vapor lamps around here with LEDs a while ago...
Still plenty of them in Colorado Springs. Ironically, I’m presently at the SC, I’ll let you guys know what info they kick back to me afterwards.

Same issue here. My Y on autopilot will engage the windshield wipers to on status whenever I enter a dark tunnel. It's rather annoying as I have to disengage autopilot, turn off the automatic windshield wipers and then reengage the autopilot. If I do not follow these steps then my windshield wipers will stay on for what seems an indefinite amount of time.

Same issue here. My Y on autopilot will engage the windshield wipers to on status whenever I enter a dark tunnel. It's rather annoying as I have to disengage autopilot, turn off the automatic windshield wipers and then reengage the autopilot. If I do not follow these steps then my windshield wipers will stay on for what seems an indefinite amount of time.

I just took delivery of MY LR on Friday. It’s the new no radar vision only model. The windshield wipers running on high when engaging autopilot. You cannot disengage wipers with auto pilot engaged. I have 2021.4.18.2 software update as well. Anyone else have these issues or no of any fixes?
Yes. My Model Y wipers turn on when not needed when using autopilot. I though it may have been because the windshield camera was dirty but after cleaning the problem persists.

Yes. My Model Y wipers turn on when not needed when using autopilot. I though it may have been because the windshield camera was dirty but after cleaning the problem persists.
Try performing a reset. While parked, press and hold the left and right scroll wheels on the steering wheel for 10 seconds. The Tesla Model Y will reboot the computer system. (You may have to repeat this step several times.)

Have you tried soft rebooting the Tesla Model Y?

Model 3/Y Soft Reboot Steps​

1. Press and hold the scroll wheels until the screens turn off
  2. The touchscreen and instrument cluster should restart after 10-30 seconds
  3. As with the Model X and Model S, the touchscreen reset can be done while driving, but parking the vehicle first is highly recommended.
Model 3/Y Full Vehicle Soft Reboot (Reset)

Method 1:

1. Place vehicle in park, with all doors shut
  2. Go to Controls > Safety and Security > Power Off
  3. Don’t touch anything (brake, doors, steering wheel, touchscreen, etc) for at least two minutes (though it may be best to wait at least five).
  4. After two (or five) minutes has passed, press the brake or open the door to start the Model 3/Y

Method 2:

1. Place vehicle in Park, with all doors shut
  2. Press and hold the brake pedal
  3. Press and hold both scroll wheels
  4. Keep the brake and buttons pressed until the screen comes back on

I don't have this issue with my vision only Y. But I think the previous poster may have hit the nail on the head... Your window is probably dirty. Even my non-tesla does that if I get dirt on the windows just right. The auto-sense goes haywire, and the wipers go on super speed until I wash/clean the windows.
Not for me. I had a spotless window and it did it when driving into the sun. If you’re in Canada or northern states and driving in south direction on a sunny day in the winter it can happen as the sun blinds the camera. I had this confirmed by a Tesla tech and my own experience many times.

Been fighting this same problem all weekend. Day, night, rain, shine, divided highway, 2 lane road or city street it didn't matter. Did the soft screen reboot, did the shut down and wait didn't help. Finally thought to look at the windshield where the camera is and there was a bug right there that didn't come off in a wash or rainstorm. Cleaned in front of the camera and no problem since.
Happens to me when it’s very cold and I have frost on the inside of the windshield in front of the camera.

It happened to my 2021 Tesla Y yesterday while driving west against sun in the late afternoon. I remembered that my garage door could not close in the noon time due to the Sun beams over the motion safety transmitter sensor. It took me days of observation to figure out this problem.

I just took delivery of MY LR on Friday. It’s the new no radar vision only model. The windshield wipers running on high when engaging autopilot. You cannot disengage wipers with auto pilot engaged. I have 2021.4.18.2 software update as well. Anyone else have these issues or no of any fixes?
I had similar experiences! My 2022 model Y windshield wipers were running when there was no rain and the wipers were set on auto. I had to turned wipers off. Then turned wipers on auto moment later they were running again! So I turned wipers off and rebooted the touch screen after I got home. A day later the wipers were running again while there was no rain. I requested Tesla Service Center to look into this and all they said was ‘General Dianogsis’ I was very disappointed with this explanation!