Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield wipers running on high when engaging auto pilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just used autopilot and there was a warning that said something like:

you cannot disable wipers when using autopilot.

I will also try reboot but seems to me this is a feature added to vision. It was night 9:30pm) and 0 rain, 88 degreesish. Makes no sense why the wipers would be on with autopilot.
I’ve also found that the wipers are forced to auto while on Autopilot. It’s got to be a liability stopgap. Driving home 1.5 hours yesterday with no rain, annoyingly watching the wipers the whole way… again, no rain, just wipers. Hopefully they can hone the sensors to alleviate the issue on future updates.

I have experienced this same problem too. I was wondering if this was a software bug or a hardware issue. A friend working for Tesla suggested it was a hardware issue. I'm wondering if this is a design fault, manufacturing fault, or quality assurance fault.

Is Tesla looking to fix anyone's sensor or do we just have to live with this problem?

Resolved.
Not a software problem. Definitely a hardware problem.

21 Model Y. It was a front camera problem, but not on the outside of windshield. Had to have service center remove windshield and clean front cameras. To confirm simply save a dash cam video of when windshield wipers mistakenly go off and then view it when parked. My video looked much hazier than normal and all lights had "wet" reflection lines extending above and below. By showing attaching photo and video of the unclear dash cam, the service center took me seriously and had something to target and fix. The technicians notes read,
Diagnosed and found some condensation on the windshield where triple camera seats. Cleaned all the condensations. Be noted that this may have not fix the issue since Auto Wipers are in BETA. It is a know characteristic of Auto Wipers, and it will learn over time and get better eventually
But this totally fixed the issue. My guess is that many service centers don't know to examine the dash cam or don't want to take off the windshield to clean the cameras. I knew this was the case because I never had this problem for two years until I had to have my windshield replaced, and the problem only started after I got the car back. I had the inspiration to look at a dash cam video and noticed it was hazzier and more distorted than it had ever been. After I took it back, they fixed the issue.

The problem was more frequent in low light settings, at night (constant), or during the day when going under bridges, or when surfaces caught sun reflections. In the pic of you can see that street lights have vertical "star bursts" that probably trick the AI into thinking there is moisture. Goes to show how advanced the AI really is.

GetAttachmentThumbnail

Reactions: KevinT3141
Resolved.
Not a software problem. Definitely a hardware problem.

21 Model Y. It was a front camera problem, but not on the outside of windshield. Had to have service center remove windshield and clean front cameras. To confirm simply save a dash cam video of when windshield wipers mistakenly go off and then view it when parked. My video looked much hazier than normal and all lights had "wet" reflection lines extending above and below. By showing attaching photo and video of the unclear dash cam, the service center took me seriously and had something to target and fix. The technicians notes read,

But this totally fixed the issue. My guess is that many service centers don't know to examine the dash cam or don't want to take off the windshield to clean the cameras. I knew this was the case because I never had this problem for two years until I had to have my windshield replaced, and the problem only started after I got the car back. I had the inspiration to look at a dash cam video and noticed it was hazzier and more distorted than it had ever been. After I took it back, they fixed the issue.

The problem was more frequent in low light settings, at night (constant), or during the day when going under bridges, or when surfaces caught sun reflections. In the pic of you can see that street lights have vertical "star bursts" that probably trick the AI into thinking there is moisture. Goes to show how advanced the AI really is.

GetAttachmentThumbnail
How are auto wipers a beta feature? Lmao