Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield wipers stopped working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it was about -10C this evening. I left a restaurant and when I got into my car that I had preheated (for only about 1-2 mins), the wipers giggled a few times and stopped. This repeated itself about 5 times then stopped completely. I had my autowipers set to the first or second intermittent wipe setting. After they stopped giggling, they went back into their default off position and since then I haven't been able to get them to move. Not even when out into the service mode setting or after letting the car warm up in a heated garage for an hour or two.

Anybody hear of this problem before? Dude blown? Motor fried?

Brief internet searches yield results in the model S section saying the wiper motors got replaced but my SC is 200km away and every time i have work done, they want to charge me $100 to have the car picked up.

24 service line said they need to reach out to the local SC and this takes about 48-72 hours in previous experience for a response. Without working wipers, the car is really too dangerous to be used to transport my two toddlers and newborn. Any advice would be appreciated.

Had an August 26th delivered 2015 Model S 70 awesome wipers. Turned on at perfect times automatically.

My current November 4th delivered 2018 Model S 75D wipers not working and Autopilot error could have killed me today.

I took control because Autopilot veered in to lane left of lane we were in. Buckets of rain were pouring so that is likely why Autopilot failed.

That is not all!

My wipers have not worked well on this new car at all and since the beginning of the rains in OC Dec 2018 to now, it has had firmware updates, software updates and been in service once with no fix to wipers issue.

I turn wipers on they work. I click down to intermittently and they don’t work. I increase speed, they don’t work.

I pull over, power off car, turn switch to highest speed and when car powers on, wipers go fast. I then slow wipers down, then they can’t go fast again, sometimes slow them down and they stop. I had already stopped 3 times driving back from San Diego to OC today to power cycle to get wipers to turn on. Wipers were on full speed I set to slower speed they stopped working. Driving from north of Carlsbad stops to powercycle rain stopped but then approaching south OC began drizzling and raining. I pressed button for windshield washer fluid, that with certain press, gets wipers to work. I was basically manually pressing button to get 1-2 windshield wiper swipes.

When Autopilot lost control and I had to drive and manually press button for 1-2 swipes, rain was so heavy 1-2 swipes every time I pressed button still kept me feeling blind. I very very carefully exited the next exit and power cycled again to have wipers work.

Yes during troubleshooting at beginning Autowipers beta was tested both on and off.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: David99
Had an August 26th delivered 2015 Model S 70 awesome wipers. Turned on at perfect times automatically.

My current November 4th delivered 2018 Model S 75D wipers not working and Autopilot error could have killed me today.

I took control because Autopilot veered in to lane left of lane we were in. Buckets of rain were pouring so that is likely why Autopilot failed.

That is not all!

My wipers have not worked well on this new car at all and since the beginning of the rains in OC Dec 2018 to now, it has had firmware updates, software updates and been in service once with no fix to wipers issue.

I turn wipers on they work. I click down to intermittently and they don’t work. I increase speed, they don’t work.

I pull over, power off car, turn switch to highest speed and when car powers on, wipers go fast. I then slow wipers down, then they can’t go fast again, sometimes slow them down and they stop. I had already stopped 3 times driving back from San Diego to OC today to power cycle to get wipers to turn on. Wipers were on full speed I set to slower speed they stopped working. Driving from north of Carlsbad stops to powercycle rain stopped but then approaching south OC began drizzling and raining. I pressed button for windshield washer fluid, that with certain press, gets wipers to work. I was basically manually pressing button to get 1-2 windshield wiper swipes.

When Autopilot lost control and I had to drive and manually press button for 1-2 swipes, rain was so heavy 1-2 swipes every time I pressed button still kept me feeling blind. I very very carefully exited the next exit and power cycled again to have wipers work.

Yes during troubleshooting at beginning Autowipers beta was tested both on and off.

1.) This is the Model X forum. You will probably get better help with your S in the Model S forum.
2.) You are not supposed to use (depend upon) Autopilot in really bad weather. Autopilot cannot see any better than you can, arguably much worse.
3.) You may have a problem with your wipers. Have you called the Tesla help desk and opened a ticket? No one here can actually help fix anything.