Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Driving in Plaid X with 22's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First - let me just preface this post by stating that this is a direct comparison to my 2018 P100D MX fitted with the OEM Pirelli factory all-season tires on 22" wheels. I've driven that in all types of conditions, on ski trips here in the Northeast - from -15 degrees and 6" of snow to ice/sleet storms. It always performed surprisingly far better than I expected, especially in the snow. (except the range but that's another story)

After 2 weeks, I'm getting to used to the Plaid - many quirks I hope Tesla will soon sort out, but I felt really compelled to share my experience so some of you in colder climates know what to expect, especially if you order a Plaid with the 22" wheels, as I did - and to save some of you from the mistaken presumption I had made.

We got a few inches of snow here in North NJ today so I decided to see how the Plaid X handled it. I mistakenly presumed the Continental's that were fitted were all seasons like my 2018 P100D was. I learned, very quickly they absolutely are not. The tires fitted to my Plaid X are Continental Contisport 6s. Research shows they are "Extreme Performance Summer Tires". Duh. (Not sure if they are using other tires). They might as well be hockey pucks. I do not recommend anyone drive a Plaid X with these tires in any sort of winter conditions. My X was all over the place, tire hopping (while turning), rear end unstable, and barely making it back up my very slight incline of a driveway. Tires notwithstanding, the aggressive Regen was also downright dangerous in winter driving. You are (now) required to keep consistent pressure on the accelerator - or be forced to do what I did (not recommended) - which was to manually place the vehicle in Neutral while going down a hill. Reversing on my snow covered driveway was even worse as the regen remains aggressive and caused the car to skid.

For comparison sake, I jumped into my '18 X with the factory (OEM) 22's back to back when about 3" had fallen. To say it was a night and day difference would be an understatement - of course, the tires certainly helped, but moreso that "low" regen setting, which Tesla has to bring back - at least to those in colder climates. It's outrageously dangerous and completely unnecessary to have removed it.

First - let me just preface this post by stating that this is a direct comparison to my 2018 P100D MX fitted with the OEM Pirelli factory all-season tires on 22" wheels. I've driven that in all types of conditions, on ski trips here in the Northeast - from -15 degrees and 6" of snow to ice/sleet storms. It always performed surprisingly far better than I expected, especially in the snow. (except the range but that's another story)

After 2 weeks, I'm getting to used to the Plaid - many quirks I hope Tesla will soon sort out, but I felt really compelled to share my experience so some of you in colder climates know what to expect, especially if you order a Plaid with the 22" wheels, as I did - and to save some of you from the mistaken presumption I had made.

We got a few inches of snow here in North NJ today so I decided to see how the Plaid X handled it. I mistakenly presumed the Continental's that were fitted were all seasons like my 2018 P100D was. I learned, very quickly they absolutely are not. The tires fitted to my Plaid X are Continental Contisport 6s. Research shows they are "Extreme Performance Summer Tires". Duh. (Not sure if they are using other tires). They might as well be hockey pucks. I do not recommend anyone drive a Plaid X with these tires in any sort of winter conditions. My X was all over the place, tire hopping (while turning), rear end unstable, and barely making it back up my very slight incline of a driveway. Tires notwithstanding, the aggressive Regen was also downright dangerous in winter driving. You are (now) required to keep consistent pressure on the accelerator - or be forced to do what I did (not recommended) - which was to manually place the vehicle in Neutral while going down a hill. Reversing on my snow covered driveway was even worse as the regen remains aggressive and caused the car to skid.

For comparison sake, I jumped into my '18 X with the factory (OEM) 22's back to back when about 3" had fallen. To say it was a night and day difference would be an understatement - of course, the tires certainly helped, but moreso that "low" regen setting, which Tesla has to bring back - at least to those in colder climates. It's outrageously dangerous and completely unnecessary to have removed it.
All Plaids with 21/22” wheel options only come equipped with Summer Performance tires. I’m pretty sure that is noted on Tesla’s website as well.

All Plaids with 21/22” wheel options only come equipped with Summer Performance tires. I’m pretty sure that is noted on Tesla’s website as well.

The only reference to tires I can find on the Plaid X page states:

"New Wheels and Tires
New performance tires deliver better handling and ride quality with lower rolling resistance and are paired with new aerodynamic wheels for an updated look."

The problem with this statement is that are plenty of "All Season" Performance tires on the market. And they don't specifically call out the 22" wheel package.

If we presume Tesla's definition of Performance tire means Summer Performance tire, and there's nothing in the above statement notating the Performance tire is only a 22" option, then that would mean the standard 20" wheel package that comes on the Plaid X is also a Summer tire - and completely useless in Winter driving. But I can't confirm that.

The Plaid's are coming with Summer Tires. 22s for LR are coming with all seasons. I wish they gave us the option as I would prefer all seasons. I don't want another set of tires just to do snow driving
I’m surprised anyone makes all seasons in staggered 22” config.

Even if they came as standard, I don’t think I would be comfortable driving on those in real snowy conditions.

My experience is the same. Had my 17 100D in Wyoming for almost 5 years and never had any issue with the tires it shipped with. Minor snow second day with the plaid and it's literally almost underivable. Will be getting different tires for winter for sure. On a positive note, car is awesome :)

wait so the 20" wheels on the plaid also comes with summer tires? I had change my configuration from 22" to 20" on my order due to not wanting the summer tires on the 22"
That is correct.

Attachments

• 6BDA682B-3764-4AF5-85C6-FA6DEB802111.jpeg
    6BDA682B-3764-4AF5-85C6-FA6DEB802111.jpeg
    582 KB · Views: 263
  • B3B0FCCD-2ECC-4435-BC20-44500580C805.jpeg
    B3B0FCCD-2ECC-4435-BC20-44500580C805.jpeg
    380.4 KB · Views: 120