Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter gravel damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just sharing some pictures of the gravel damage to my Model X from our winter trip up through Bend OR. The damage is to the lower black plastic trim just in front of both rear tires. Strange, I thought there would be more damage just behind the rear or front tires but those areas look ok. Luckily I had PPF and even though it's pretty torn up it doesn't look like it went through to the paint.

It's been a long while since I drove in winter conditions and noticed the gravel is now crushed red lava rock. The pieces are small and very jagged/sharp. Maybe that's why it tears through the plastic instead of bouncing off with a smooth impression.

Attachments

• IMG_2385.jpg
    IMG_2385.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 126
  • IMG_2395.jpg
    IMG_2395.jpg
    790.7 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_2400.jpg
    IMG_2400.jpg
    716.5 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_2407.jpg
    IMG_2407.jpg
    460.9 KB · Views: 89
  • Informative
Reactions: dogldogl
I was also thinking of mud flaps for the front. The rocks must be coming from the front tires, just throwing it low so it's hitting the rear. Wonder how much drag front mud flaps would create.

I also got the gravel stuck in my brakes. At my next charging stop when I slowed down there was this grinding noise. Luckily I found a self-serve car wash and was able to spray the fragments out.

• Helpful
Reactions: RoBoRaT
I was also thinking of mud flaps for the front. The rocks must be coming from the front tires, just throwing it low so it's hitting the rear. Wonder how much drag front mud flaps would create.

I also got the gravel stuck in my brakes. At my next charging stop when I slowed down there was this grinding noise. Luckily I found a self-serve car wash and was able to spray the fragments out.

Have these flaps for 1 month now - definitely less mud/crap slinging. I only installed fronts.

Not so sure about much drag. There is some increase in energy used but I think the increase is mostly due to increase in heating the cabin (5 seats heated). The below were from same driving habit/locale - SoCal weather.

Oct/Nov:
20191214_070728.jpg

Dec 8th - Jan 8th:
20200108_175213.jpg

20191211_184351.jpg

Reactions: aesculus
Have these flaps for 1 month now - definitely less mud/crap slinging. I only installed fronts.

Not so sure about much drag. There is some increase in energy used but I think the increase is mostly due to increase in heating the cabin (5 seats heated). The below were from same driving habit/locale - SoCal weather.

Oct/Nov:
View attachment 498477

Dec 8th - Jan 8th:
View attachment 498478

View attachment 498479
Thanks for the posting. What brand of flaps did you buy?

I suspect Caltrans uses a much milder sand than ODOT.
Highway departments generally use whatever rock/sand/gravel is nearest. In the Bend, OR area the red lava rock that the OP mentioned is everywhere so they use that. Here in western Oregon it's sand and fine gravel that's more similar to what you find on our Pacific beaches, ie basalt.
Also, the OP is correct in noticing that red lava rock is WAY more abrasive than "normal" sand. It's very sharp and does much more damage. When I return from a trip to that part of our state I'm extra diligent in my washing procedure to ensure complete removal of that red sand to prevent scratching.

Highway departments generally use whatever rock/sand/gravel is nearest. In the Bend, OR area the red lava rock that the OP mentioned is everywhere so they use that. Here in western Oregon it's sand and fine gravel that's more similar to what you find on our Pacific beaches, ie basalt.
Also, the OP is correct in noticing that red lava rock is WAY more abrasive than "normal" sand. It's very sharp and does much more damage. When I return from a trip to that part of our state I'm extra diligent in my washing procedure to ensure complete removal of that red sand to prevent scratching.
I'm staying away from eastern Oregon in the winter!

• Funny
Reactions: aesculus