Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally! I can get in on this thread. It's going to be 19F here tonight but no snow. Does that count?=)
Everyone stay safe. Sounds like this storm is going to be a big one.

Hey @dsm,

I can't wait to try driving in the snow. Snow tonight and tomorrow!!! Im going to chime in too. For now, nothing but boring below freezing temps... that topic has been beaten to death. Tomorrow we start with snow but then it warms up to a high of 40F. So I'll have to get driving early :wink:

UPDATE: We had our bad weather here in Houston. It wasn't snow... seems more like frozen rain. ...and my Tesla was up to the challenge - even with the sport tires (not snow tires!).

Every overpass was covered with smooth ice. Many cars were stopped before the incline because they were watching other cars spin their wheels on the overpass. The only thing that seemed to stop my roadster was not any issue with traction, but rather, other cars that wouldn't get out of my way.

I am convinced that the traction control Tesla is using is so superior to anything else I've ever seen or used, it is bound to be found in all future vehicles.

We just had a massive snowstorm in Chicago and I continued to drive my Roadster every day. I never got stuck, but did get some grinding of the underside due the low clearance. Overall, I couldn't be happier. I could not imagine that any rear wheel drive would perform at the level that a few of the AWDs I've had in past did, but it does.

Love this advert from 1912

35457568976.jpg

The relatively skinny tires of the Roadster probably do a better job cutting through the slush to keep traction compared to some other supercars with much wider tires that are more optimal for warm/dry conditions.

Perilli snow tires:
Lethbridge AB has had lots of now this winter (I work there sometimes). How are the Perilli's holding up? I just moved from Edmonton, AB, to northern NY State (80 km south of Montreal). Lots of snow here too. I am looking for recommendations for good snow tires on my 1.5 Roadster #443.
Any suggestions from others? I just asked the Tesla people in Menlo Park, but they don't have much snow in the Bay Area so would like input from Tesla owners in snow country.
Mel

I was surprised at this as well.

I finally had my 110v & NEMA 14-50 plugs installed at the office.
The first day I plugged in the 110v, I forgot to enter the "charge now" command...I thought a few hours later (-14C with wind) that I'd mucked up my effort to keep the battery warm with the 110v by not "charging now"...much to my surprise, when I disconnected & fired the car up, the regen was working fine!

I think it is well worth the little time & effort it takes to plug in the 110v and retain the benefit of regen braking...I find it's just more fun to drive with regen..

I wanted to make sure I understood this correctly. It's cold enough here in Texas (mid 20s) that my car didn't have regen for the first time after sitting out in a parking garage (not plugged in) for a number of hours. If it's plugged in (even if it's not actively charging), it keeps the battery warm enough that you still have regen?It was a strange feeling not having regen. Took me a minute to figure out what was going on.

Doh!!!...just went out 30 minutes ago...car plugged in...is -7C + lots of wind...no regen...WTF?

I did plug in to the lower outlet of the new plug (for the first time)...I must admit that I didn't look for the green LED on the 110v cable...maybe the lower outlet is faulty / wasn't wired properly?

Radio says windchill is about -25...maybe it's too cold? Has anyone else not had regen after being plugged in (but not charging) for about a 3 hour period?

I don't live in snow and ice country, but we just had the storm of the decade here in Chicago and I was able to drive every day with no problem, including the day after when I saw only 2-3 other cars of any kind on the road. The Pirelli's were great, I never got stuck. The bigger problem with snow is the low ground clearance. It doesn't matter what tires you have if your wheels can't touch the ground. I think the weight being directly over the rear wheels also helps immensely when it comes to traction.

Most of the time I don't lose regen at all since I park in a garage both at home and the office. If I do go someplace and park outside for more than a few hours, I will definitely have Regen off for the first 15 minutes or so after.

Doh!!!...just went out 30 minutes ago...car plugged in...is -7C + lots of wind...no regen...WTF?

I did plug in to the lower outlet of the new plug (for the first time)...I must admit that I didn't look for the green LED on the 110v cable...maybe the lower outlet is faulty / wasn't wired properly?

Radio says windchill is about -25...maybe it's too cold? Has anyone else not had regen after being plugged in (but not charging) for about a 3 hour period?

Yes, though it's just at the tipping point... it's re-enabled after a mile or two (versus 20+).

Regen: All off or not? Apologies to those that already 'got' this!

I've been confused by what's meant by regen being off-off. It seems that there are three types of regen off:

1. Battery full - In this mode, after a range mode charge, regen is reduced, it still works a little so a downhill run will net a return but as the battery is depleted the regen becomes stronger and stronger until its back to normal and the light goes out.

2. Too cold - In this mode regen is off completely, no regen at all, just like neutral. As the battery warms regen will turn back on like a switch was thrown and the light will go out. This, so far has only happened whilst driving, i.e. never whilst coasting.

3. Fake regen off - Place the car in storage mode, leave a couple of weeks then recharge normally. For the first journey, Regen light comes on but regen seems to work ok.

Thanks for posting this Michael...I was unaware of situation #3.

My pack was about 95% full when this occurred...I had a range of about 287 kms out of a normal standard charde of 298-302 kms...so I had a little room for additional charge.

When I started up, the regen was off & the warning light was on...I just assumed it was the cold weather...

Regen: All off or not? Apologies to those that already 'got' this!

I've been confused by what's meant by regen being off-off. It seems that there are three types of regen off:

1. Battery full - In this mode, after a range mode charge, regen is reduced, it still works a little so a downhill run will net a return but as the battery is depleted the regen becomes stronger and stronger until its back to normal and the light goes out.

2. Too cold - In this mode regen is off completely, no regen at all, just like neutral. As the battery warms regen will turn back on like a switch was thrown and the light will go out. This, so far has only happened whilst driving, i.e. never whilst coasting.

3. Fake regen off - Place the car in storage mode, leave a couple of weeks then recharge normally. For the first journey, Regen light comes on but regen seems to work ok.

Actually for #2, it's happened while coasting for me. Fortunately it's not instantaneous full regen and sudden slowdown, but it's pretty quick. But my foot's pretty quick, too :)