Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove 50 miles back into a stiff wind yesterday and the car used 65 miles of battery, driving at 65mph

It's really helpful if people can quote a consumption figure rather than just a number of miles. The number of miles is only relevant to your car on that day whereas a consumption figure can be related to any car. As we get more cars with different battery capacities, and older cars that may have a small degree of degradation, the Wh/mile becomes more meaningful. The trip recorders show Wh/mile as well as miles travelled.

I travelled 70 miles in my 2021 SR+ on Sunday. Average 60mph on the M6 in windy conditions and averaged 225wh/mile (4.5 miles per kWh). Climate on 19 Auto with 3 in the car. That’d give me about 225miles range.
On the way back it was torrential rain (storm Franklin) and it upped consumption to 279wh/mile 3.6 miles pkwh or 180 miles range.
So if I’m pushing to low SOC I’d say 200+ this time of year on a longer motorway run.

Having picked my car up end Sep I’ve done 5000 miles at an average of 224wh/m mainly city driving with a couple of longer runs each month. I’m hoping for around 200wh/m in summer (5 miles pkwh or 250 miles or range).

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
I travelled 70 miles in my 2021 SR+ on Sunday. Average 60mph on the M6 in windy conditions and averaged 225wh/mile (4.5 miles per kWh). Climate on 19 Auto with 3 in the car. That’d give me about 225miles range.
On the way back it was torrential rain (storm Franklin) and it upped consumption to 279wh/mile 3.6 miles pkwh or 180 miles range.
So if I’m pushing to low SOC I’d say 200+ this time of year on a longer motorway run.

200 miles if travelling 100% to 0% before charging? Worth noting for the uninitiated who read these posts: this doesn't mean that you would necessarily set out to drive 200 miles non stop in a pre LFP SR+. I certainly wouldn't do it unless for a bet! Of course only the newer SR+ cars have the new increased capacity battery. (Though I have had extrapolated 100% ranges much further than 200 miles in good weather I still don't plan a 200 mile leg!)

Reactions: Lord Farquad
200 miles if travelling 100% to 0% before charging? Worth noting for the uninitiated who read these posts: this doesn't mean that you would necessarily set out to drive 200 miles non stop in a pre LFP SR+. I certainly wouldn't do it unless for a bet! Of course only the newer SR+ cars have the new increased capacity battery. (Though I have had extrapolated 100% ranges much further than 200 miles in good weather I still don't plan a 200 mile leg!)
Very much so. We only travel around 100 miles as a family before we want a leg stretch. Maybe 150 at a push. Fast charging speeds are just as relevant as long range. The ability to cover long distances with short 10-15min charging stops and comfort breaks is what made Tesla acceptable to us as a family for our main car.