Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tire advice

Which winter tires?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone getting non-Pirelli tires and mounting them on a separate set of 18" aero wheels? If so, where do you get the rims, and for how much?

I just placed an order for the 18" aero wheels from my local Tesla SC along with the TPMS sensors. No idea on timing but wheels were $250 each and TPMS are 89 each Canadian.

I just called my local Service Center to ask for the price of 18" rims without covers, and they said $200 USD a piece. (I figure the covers can just be transferred over, so there's no point in buying an extra set.)

Alpins are great for the city.
This is kinda what I’ve been thinking/reading as well, and I have a gut feeling I’ll ultimately end up with Pilot Alpins (though I am looking into the all weather Nokians mentioned above) since I am in the city; some reviews have summed the Alpins up as a winter version of Pilot Sport 4s - basically all I want in a winter tire. Ugh, choices!

I took a look at the Pilots but they don’t make them in an 18” wheel size for the model 3 so that’s unfortunate.

Nokian if you have to drive through any significant accumulated snow.

If you are not likely to encounter any deep snow e.g. city driving on streets that have been plowed but still have a few inches or less on them, I have had very good experience with Michelin Pilot Alpin and Dunlop Wintersports.

I just did a little research on the pilot and dunlop. I was very impressed with Tirerack's assessment of the Pilot in particular. Would the Porsche specific tires fit on the 19" wheels:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...dewall=Blackwall&partnum=34VR9PA4N0&tab=Specs

That’s a good question. I imagine they would since they are the same size as the OEM tires.

I think the load index is too low on these tires. From what I’ve found, 245/40/19 seems to be the smallest Alpin size that’ll carry/fit on the Model 3. I wish there was a way to get more sidewall on the 19” wheel (try help absorb bumps), but I haven’t been able to come up with a decent alternative.

I think the load index is too low on these tires. From what I’ve found, 245/40/19 seems to be the smallest Alpin size that’ll carry/fit on the Model 3. I wish there was a way to get more sidewall on the 19” wheel (try help absorb bumps), but I haven’t been able to come up with a decent alternative.

They are pretty much the same tire and load index Tesla uses on their 20" wheel and people are kinda comfortable with those. I still think it is a viable choice for someone trying to maximize performance and handling characteristics in variable conditions. It's nice that there are choices.

Are the current deals at TireRack about the best one could do? They have a set of 4 X-ICE 18" for $785 - $80 rebate - $70 rebate (double dipping mileage may vary). Free shipping / no tax. Wondering if I should buy now and store them or if another deal might pop up.

Unless someone puts together a group buy, I often see good deals around Black Friday and will wait for that.

From which stores? I checked 2017 BF deals, and Tire Rack didn't really have any. Discount Tire Direct did, but it was $100 off then an additional $60 if you use their credit card which I don't have and thus isn't as good as the current $150 off at Tire Rack.

Last year it was a local, to MI, place, Belle Tire. I got wheels and tires for my wife's new Expedition. I wouldn't necessarily bank on there being a great deal available that day, but I haven't seen reason not to wait as of yet.

Anyone have feedback on the R2/3 road noise ? I live in an area that’s not often snow covered but head north of the border often enough that I don’t want to risk a « normal » alll season tire. I’m debating R vs WRG and I’ll definitely be swapping in summer rims and tires so I’m tempted not to compromise and get Rs. That said, they worry me a bit with regards to noise and excessive wear on dry/warmer surfaces. Thoughts ? Has anybody looked up consumer reports on R3 vs WR?

Anyone have feedback on the R2/3 road noise? ...and excessive wear on dry/warmer surfaces. Thoughts ? Has anybody looked up consumer reports on R3 vs WR?
I didn't notice the R2s being any noisier than the OEM all seasons. And they seem to wear well. I took them on a few warmer road trips. But no, I would never read consumer reports. I assume you wouldn't either, or you would just read it rather than asking.

Just ordered a MX out of current inventory. Hope to have it in 2 weeks as it’s only in NJ. Being in Vermont, I have have the Nokian 8s on my Range Rover and loved them. Went in to local tire shop this morning and ordered R3s.