Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tire recommendations

What is your plan for winter tires?

• Sticking with all-seasons

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Looking into the Pirelli set offered by Tesla

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • Looking into the Nokian studded set offered by Tesla

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Looking at another brand

Votes: 12 27.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks, happy new owner of an S Plaid here, from Canada.

So snow tires it is.

I've been checking aftermarket options, optionally for a square setup but everything comes back at the same price, if not more, than the tempest wheels setup from Tesla.

Given this, I'm inclined to just go with them.

The only thing I'm wondering is if Tesla sell these tires (the Pirelli PZERO Winter) with a smaller tread depth, like they do with the ones from factory. Or you get full tread depth from the manufacturer.

I recently ordered a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta 10 EV studded tires especially designed for EV:s. In the exact size of Tempest 19” original tire size 255 front 285 rear.

The main difference between studded and non-studded nordic style max 160 km/h (real) winter tires is the more sturdy and stiff surface structure of the studded version. It has less soft lamelles on the surface. Studded tires therefore allow more control and feel than the non studded Nordic winter tires.

It is a different story if compared with higher speed class tires or plain M+S, but the snow and ice traction is on a totally different level as well. These ”german” winter tires as we say have no real snow or ice performance compared to Nordix max 160 km/h versions of winter tires.

I recently ordered a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta 10 EV studded tires especially designed for EV:s. In the exact size of Tempest 19” original tire size 255 front 285 rear.

The main difference between studded and non-studded nordic style max 160 km/h (real) winter tires is the more sturdy and stiff surface structure of the studded version. It has less soft lamelles on the surface. Studded tires therefore allow more control and feel than the non studded Nordic winter tires.

It is a different story if compared with higher speed class tires or plain M+S, but the snow and ice traction is on a totally different level as well. These ”german” winter tires as we say have no real snow or ice performance compared to Nordix max 160 km/h versions of winter tires.
I just got Hakkapeliitta 10EV 255/40-20.
I bought a 20” rim that looks like the 21” Arachnid (but 9” and 10” so slightly thinner).
I will use that square setup for the Hakka 10EV’s despite having different wide rims.

I just had Michelin Cross Climate 2s installed (on 2018 MS - 245 45 R19) and have a about 500 miles on them. My prior tires were Continental DWS06 plus.

First impressions: Michelins have a firmer ride and a bit better efficiency based on repeated drives on the same stretch of I-90 (NYS Thruway).

I plan to use them use them year-around in Buffalo -- so I will report back on the multiple snow experiences I expect to have this winter. Tread pattern sure looks like it will be effective in snow -- as Consumer Reports testing indicates.

IMG_3398.jpg

I just got Hakkapeliitta 10EV 255/40-20.
I bought a 20” rim that looks like the 21” Arachnid (but 9” and 10” so slightly thinner).
I will use that square setup for the Hakka 10EV’s despite having different wide rims.

I also recently ordered a set of Hakkapeliitta 245/45-19 (same size as what Tesla sells online , when it's in stock) for a 2020 Tesla Model S Long Range Plus. After install, I've am hearing a pretty major grinding noise from the front driver side wheel whenever I make a hard right turn backing out of my garage or a parking spot. I brought the car to my local Tesla SC and they are trying to place the blame on the "after market tires" and not something they did (I recently had to have some work done on the front of the car for suspension related issues).

Anybody else with the Hakkapeliitta tires experiencing a similar problem?? I'm certain it's something wrong with the front, driver's side suspension, etc. and not the tires/rims.

I also recently ordered a set of Hakkapeliitta 245/45-19 (same size as what Tesla sells online , when it's in stock) for a 2020 Tesla Model S Long Range Plus. After install, I've am hearing a pretty major grinding noise from the front driver side wheel whenever I make a hard right turn backing out of my garage or a parking spot. I brought the car to my local Tesla SC and they are trying to place the blame on the "after market tires" and not something they did (I recently had to have some work done on the front of the car for suspension related issues).

Anybody else with the Hakkapeliitta tires experiencing a similar problem?? I'm certain it's something wrong with the front, driver's side suspension, etc. and not the tires/rims.
Do you have staggered wheel sizes? If you have staggered wheel sizes and they put a rear wheel on the front, you will possibly be grinding the inner wheel lip on the knuckle on turns.

Do you have staggered wheel sizes? If you have staggered wheel sizes and they put a rear wheel on the front, you will possibly be grinding the inner wheel lip on the knuckle on turns.
Thanks for the quick reply. While the original tire/rims was a staggered 21", I opted to go with the supported 19" set for both front & back. This configuration is supported by Tesla (can even buy this config direct from Tesla WHEN they have stock).

If you really are convinced that the issue is with the front suspension, and not the winter tires - try temporarily putting a summer tire back on the front left and back out of your garage. If you don't have the jack and tools required, you can probably find someone in the Calgary Tesla community who has the tools, skills and interest to help.

Thanks everyone. I guess what's really pissing me off is the Tesla SC response to this.... telling me it's my fault because I'm not using Tesla OEM rims/tires and blaming everyone else instead of accepting that they screwed up and just fix it.

Not sure about the rest of you, but I've seen a drastic drop in the quality of service from the Calgary Tesla SC over the past year. I've had a Tesla for over 4 years now and have spent far too much time at the SC with issues on both (originally has a Model X, now a Model S).

Well, that's my rant about Tesla for the day... tune in tomorrow when I'm sure I'll have another one, haha.

Thanks everyone. I guess what's really pissing me off is the Tesla SC response to this.... telling me it's my fault because I'm not using Tesla OEM rims/tires and blaming everyone else instead of accepting that they screwed up and just fix it.

Not sure about the rest of you, but I've seen a drastic drop in the quality of service from the Calgary Tesla SC over the past year. I've had a Tesla for over 4 years now and have spent far too much time at the SC with issues on both (originally has a Model X, now a Model S).

Well, that's my rant about Tesla for the day... tune in tomorrow when I'm sure I'll have another one, haha.

You make zero sense.

Either you are using OEM tires and OEM rims (and everything should be OK), or you are using different products with different dimensions (and there might be clearance problems).

There is not a lot of room for grey area here, and it's up to the customer to verify any substitutions will not cause fitment problems. It could be that your wheels are different, or the tires are not exact OEM replacements. The manufacturer cannot be expected to test every possible tire and wheel offering available, which is why they only guarantee the specific ones they test and recommend.

This should all be self-evident.

I just had Michelin Cross Climate 2s installed (on 2018 MS - 245 45 R19) and have a about 500 miles on them. My prior tires were Continental DWS06 plus.

First impressions: Michelins have a firmer ride and a bit better efficiency based on repeated drives on the same stretch of I-90 (NYS Thruway).

I plan to use them use them year-around in Buffalo -- so I will report back on the multiple snow experiences I expect to have this winter. Tread pattern sure looks like it will be effective in snow -- as Consumer Reports testing indicates.

View attachment 979946
sweet tires...we have been on them 3 all seasons now.. allmost 3 yrs

Reactions: YYZ-IAD
Just mounted up the Michelin X-Ice Snow tires that've been sitting in my garage for the last ~3 months. They're on 19" T-Sportline TSR wheels; square setup (255/45R19) all around.

Only a few miles on them, but so far, very pleased. Much, much quieter than the Pirelli P-Zeros I just took off. Will have to get the X-Ices up to highway speeds, but I suspect this'll resolve the small vibration I had too.

Let's see how they do in some bad weather, but if I'm being completely honest with myself... it's exceedingly rare that I drive in actual bad weather - if it's snowing, I stay home!

Attachments

• IMG_4586.jpeg
    IMG_4586.jpeg
    560.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4585.jpeg
    IMG_4585.jpeg
    639.8 KB · Views: 37