Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tires....All (No) Season?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looked into Hakka3’s but considering this isn’t an everyday condition for us wasn’t worth the price premium ($400/corner all said and done)

Hakka R3’s are a dedicated winter tire that is different than the all-weather WRG3 or WRG4. All Nokians are bit pricey, but I know that they work well and have had 7 different sets of Nokians in the past decade. Best part is Nokian offers low and ultra low rolling resistant rated tires.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
No post is complete without an update. As it turns out, our horrific consumption (400-550 wh/mi) en route was not just the result of freezing temps and a constant 10-15kt headwind.

Oh no. Against the advice of proper fitment (but just barely) from the forums, Reddit, and even the tire shop. 255/35/20 have the potential to rub on the steering knuckle in a spectacular fashion. I swear, these cars are like snowflakes: each with their own personality and build tolerances. (Not a jab against the mfg process btw, just a funny observation)

47B02909-325E-4622-82E5-E711CBCA05E6.jpeg
081C6FEB-C674-4D9B-9525-B73AA6607791.jpeg
CD9D4FEF-35E6-4CFB-868D-88189A40362B.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: dmd2005
Time to get some spacers to push out the wheel/tire a few mm. I have a set of 20x9 et +30 front with 255/35/20 and I don’t rub. Also, not all tires are the same width in actual measurement even though they are listed as 255. The Tesla spec Michelin PS4S tires are 235/35/20, but are closer to a 245 width tire than non Tesla spec MPS4S.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I live in Colorado and travel in bad snow conditions to ski areas all the time. Previously lived in Montana. I use Nokian WRG3/4 “all weather” tires on all of my cars and never take them off winter or summer. My daughter also has them on her F150. Unlike dedicated snows they are quiet and good handling at 90 mph. Plenty of grip on snow and ice (not as much as dedicated snows but more than you need). I think there is a minor efficiency hit but not enough to be concerned about. I don’t know of any other tires that compete with them in this category.