Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Tires and Rims - Canadian Availability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think Kal Tire is the exclusive distributor. I even heard that they supply Tesla (can anyone confirm?).

They are the main ones for Nokian but there are some other shops in GTA that sell them. Even among the different Kal Tire locations, and amongst the salespeople, there are differences in prices as they will negotiate. I lost two of my salespeople who gave the best deals recently. High turnover at these places and it's hard to keep a loyal client relationship long.

I'm thinking it's time to get a floor jack and do the tire swap myself now that I have a second set of wheels. I gather the typical 'approved' method of doing this is with a genuine NHL hockey puck inserted to match the lift points on the car...

Does anyone know the maximum lowered height of a floor jack that will allow this to happen without a clearance problem? I'm running coils, so no ability to lift the car before beginning the work.

I'm thinking it's time to get a floor jack and do the tire swap myself now that I have a second set of wheels. I gather the typical 'approved' method of doing this is with a genuine NHL hockey puck inserted to match the lift points on the car...

Does anyone know the maximum lowered height of a floor jack that will allow this to happen without a clearance problem? I'm running coils, so no ability to lift the car before beginning the work.
I forgot the exact measurement (somewhat less than 4.5~5” IIRC) but you need a fairly low profile jack - the first one I bought was too high in lowered position. The one I got to replace it is ~3.5” in lowest position which fits underneath fine (coils)

Last edited:
I forgot the exact measurement (somewhat less than 4.5~5” IIRC) but you need a fairly low profile jack - the first one I bought was too high in lowered position. The one I got to replace it is ~3.5” in lowest position which fits underneath fine (coils)
Thanks for the response! I was thinking 4" would be the absolute maximum I could work with. Do you use a puck and is there any issue with the 3.5" and slipping it into place?

I just had my tires swapped over at Kal Tire. I have two sets of Replika rims -- one with winter tires bought from 1010 tires since Kal Tire said it would be 2 months last October to get the Replikas in -- and 1010 got them for me right away and I couldn't wait for winter driving. But I prefer to deal with Kal Tire so when it came time to switch back to summer tires, I bought new summer tires and another set of Replikas -- this time from Kal Tire.

So after the swap was done yesterday, I was told the cost was $44.80 ($40 plus 12% tax). As I was handing my credit card, I said "that's odd, I thought Kal Tire did the swap over for free since I bought my tires and rims here just last year". He look at my credit card, then motioned for me to put it away and said he wouldn't charge me. He said that Kal Tire stopped the free swap overs last year -- but they obviously still have discretion not to charge for it.

Kal Tire was named after Kalamalka Lake, a lake in Vernon, BC. Vernon is a small town where my mother was raised and, when I was young, everyone knew the families that started the company. My uncle was friends with one of the founder's sons. The company is still based in Vernon. It earned its reputation on customer service and often not charging for the small stuff. In fact, just last year my daughter who is going to university in Kelowna called me since she had a slow leak in one of her tires. I told her to take it to Kal Tire. She later told me how great they were fixing her tire for free. This used to happen a lot with Kal Tire. When they do that for someone like me or my daughter, they have made us customers for life, and it really cost them nothing for the flat repair. It was that business model that made them so successful.

But times change and policies change. It's too bad to see Kal Tire going the way of everyone else and they appear to be losing what made them so successful.

I just had my tires swapped over at Kal Tire. I have two sets of Replika rims -- one with winter tires bought from 1010 tires since Kal Tire said it would be 2 months last October to get the Replikas in -- and 1010 got them for me right away and I couldn't wait for winter driving. But I prefer to deal with Kal Tire so when it came time to switch back to summer tires, I bought new summer tires and another set of Replikas -- this time from Kal Tire.

So after the swap was done yesterday, I was told the cost was $44.80 ($40 plus 12% tax). As I was handing my credit card, I said "that's odd, I thought Kal Tire did the swap over for free since I bought my tires and rims here just last year". He look at my credit card, then motioned for me to put it away and said he wouldn't charge me. He said that Kal Tire stopped the free swap overs last year -- but they obviously still have discretion not to charge for it.

Kal Tire was named after Kalamalka Lake, a lake in Vernon, BC. Vernon is a small town where my mother was raised and, when I was young, everyone knew the families that started the company. My uncle was friends with one of the founder's sons. The company is still based in Vernon. It earned its reputation on customer service and often not charging for the small stuff. In fact, just last year my daughter who is going to university in Kelowna called me since she had a slow leak in one of her tires. I told her to take it to Kal Tire. She later told me how great they were fixing her tire for free. This used to happen a lot with Kal Tire. When they do that for someone like me or my daughter, they have made us customers for life, and it really cost them nothing for the flat repair. It was that business model that made them so successful.

But times change and policies change. It's too bad to see Kal Tire going the way of everyone else and they appear to be losing what made them so successful.

Do you go to Mississauga or Scarborough one?

That’s odd. I never bought wheels fron Kal Tire but plenty of tire sets and they offered me free rotations between my sets of summers and winters. I also get a VIP discount about 8% off MSRP prices off of the Nokian Hakkapelittaa 9’s I just bought. I use the Abbotsford/Clearbrook Kal Tire.

I prefer to do my own tire swaps and have a nice Big Red floor jack from Costco that I’ve been using for the past 10 years. It’ll fit under my S without a problem, but I’ve got air suspension.

Thanks for the response! I was thinking 4" would be the absolute maximum I could work with. Do you use a puck and is there any issue with the 3.5" and slipping it into place?
You're welcome. The floor jack I have is spec'ed at 3.54" min height. I just took a quick measurement and with a hockey puck the total min height is 4.5". Under the front jack point of the car is about 5 3/8" (again, I have coil suspension), so no problem fitting the jack+puck into place. I forget exactly but the original jack I bought was supposed to have 5" min height but it was a hair too high to fit under the car even without a puck so I returned it.

You're welcome. The floor jack I have is spec'ed at 3.54" min height. I just took a quick measurement and with a hockey puck the total min height is 4.5". Under the front jack point of the car is about 5 3/8" (again, I have coil suspension), so no problem fitting the jack+puck into place. I forget exactly but the original jack I bought was supposed to have 5" min height but it was a hair too high to fit under the car even without a puck so I returned it.
Great information! I've got the coil suspension too, so we should be fairly close. I guess I'm on the hunt for a floor jack now... a day after I told my wife to slap me if I decided to buy more stuff to put in the garage... LOL

perhaps just store the jack in the basement instead of garage ;)
Heh...! I like the way you think! But since this detail is still in play, let me tell you what happened last night...

Out for dinner with my wife. The topic of doing the tire swaps on all the vehicles came up and I used that opportunity to slyly insert a comment about probably needing to get a floor jack. A look of confusion on her face.... finally a comment that perhaps I shouldn't do that until middle of the month... but that wasn't going to work for her daughter who was returning home for Thanksgiving and a tire swap.

So it finally came out that we (I) already have a floor jack, for my birthday in the middle of this month... LOL!

And ironically, it's been hidden in the basement as you suggested... Ha!

So after the swap was done yesterday, I was told the cost was $44.80 ($40 plus 12% tax).

Their web site still says free lifetime rotations, road hazard, balancing, flat repairs etc. All 4 tires have to come off to either rotate or balance, so I can't see what the difference to them would be if they simply put different wheels back on other than the ones they removed.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Looking to buy some wheels for my 75D Midnight Silver Metallic and was going to spend over 3k on the Tsportline wheels when I found this thread while searching google. When I first bought my car, I saw the Midnight Silver Metallic with the 21'' grey wheels and fell in love with the color immediately but wasn't willing to dish out so much money for them. I had seen the Replika wheels in a local shop and thought "these wheels can't be good quality, they're so much cheaper than the Tsportline". You guys seem very satisfied with your Replika wheels, so I'm thinking of buying a kit that I'll be testing on my winter tires. Since I've never bought wheels and have no clue what I need to consider could you guys help me out?

I've found the lowest price to be on CanadaWheels. Here is the price breakdown:
R187: 4x $198
Installation Kit (SKU 9873) 1x $54.99
Only the GST 5% tax is charged: $42.35
Free shipping
Total: $889.34

On the other sites I found they were charging both taxes (I live in Quebec) and sometimes charged shipping.

Questions:
- Does anyone own these wheels with the Midnight Silver Metallic? If so, could you please share some pictures. It looked great with 21'', but I'm wondering if the 19'' will look as good.

Sorry for the double post, but I cannot edit the post and accidentally posted it before finishing. I had a few other questions:

- is the Installation Kit necessary? If yes, should I buy it from them?
- Where can I purchase the TPMS sensors? I remember seeing them on the Tesla Shop, but I don't see them anymore.
- The Tesla caps, I know you guys said they fit, but if I wanted an extra kit, where would you buy them?
- Is there anything else I should know before purchasing the wheels?