Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tires for LR RWD Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had Nokian Hakkapellita R3 rec'd to me, and lots of people like the Michelin X-Ice 3. However, you seem to be down by the Cape, so more likely to see wettish snow, and in those conditions, I might consider a tire less geared to the cold dry snow and more to intermediate conditions, wetter snow, as opposed to cold dry snow. In that case, the Michelin CrossClimate+ or Vredestein Quatrac5 or other tire in that category.

• Informative
Reactions: hcdavis3
I've had Nokian Hakkapellita R3 rec'd to me, and lots of people like the Michelin X-Ice 3. However, you seem to be down by the Cape, so more likely to see wettish snow, and in those conditions, I might consider a tire less geared to the cold dry snow and more to intermediate conditions, wetter snow, as opposed to cold dry snow. In that case, the Michelin CrossClimate+ or Vredestein Quatrac5 or other tire in that category.
Great advice Ken. Much appreciated.

Been very happy with my Michelin X-ice.
I drive in all conditions when it comes to snow. Have one season on both cars and will never go back to all seasons in the winter.

Slight range hit, and not too loud.

Your specific application might be different, but I would say they are pretty well rounded in different conditions.

RWD handling was a also great, and went on many snowy cross country ski trips in Northern Michigan and Ontario in some nasty weeks of January.

• Informative
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Location?

If you only have wet winters, CrossClimates are great as suggested.

In Scandinavia, the cars are offered with Nokian R3s, just to give a hint. Though I dont have experience personally.

I live in continental climate, where it gets cold but not that much persistent snow. Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 have been fantastic - very comfortable and quiet, great traction in dry, and for ski runs to the Alps I have zero complaints.

Been very happy with my Michelin X-ice.
I drive in all conditions when it comes to snow. Have one season on both cars and will never go back to all seasons in the winter.

Slight range hit, and not too loud.

Your specific application might be different, but I would say they are pretty well rounded in different conditions.

RWD handling was a also great, and went on many snowy cross country ski trips in Northern Michigan and Ontario in some nasty weeks of January.

I'm in Massachusetts and ran the X-Ices last winter. Overall very happy with them.

I'm going to try the Pirelli Sottozero 3s this year. I noticed the Tesla spec tire with the acoustic foam is 8 pounds heavier and $60 more per tire, so I might go with the standard spec tire instead.

I bought the 18" winter tire set from Tesla with the Pirelli's. I thought the price for a factory set of rims plus tires was actually fairly reasonable. Going forward I can just swap the wheels myself.

I can't compare them to any other winter tires, but they were just fine on the RWD model 3 in MA last winter. Definitely better than the stock 19" tires.

• Informative
Reactions: hcdavis3
Any suggestions welcomed.

Hey Carter how are you doing? Good to hear from you! If you're in an area that's not too snowy the michelin pilot sport A/S 3+ is a great all season tire with exceptional performance. They're coming out with a replacement 4 plus version shortly but that may mean that the 3 plus all season is discounted. Its performance is not too far off the 4S summer tire. If you need a little bit better performance in snow you might look at the Michelin cross climate.

Hey Carter how are you doing? Good to hear from you! If you're in an area that's not too snowy the michelin pilot sport A/S 3+ is a great all season tire with exceptional performance. They're coming out with a replacement 4 plus version shortly but that may mean that the 3 plus all season is discounted. Its performance is not too far off the 4S summer tire. If you need a little bit better performance in snow you might look at the Michelin cross climate.
Thanks very much Doug. Looks like the 4 plus is the way to go.

I ran Nokian hakkapalita R3’s last year, and they were absolutely incredible...in the snow. I’m from MA as well, we don’t have a lot of days where the streets are covered in snow, so they were a little overkill.

Because they’re dedicated snow tires, they’re not great performance tires. I previously had conti wintersport 3d’s, which are winter performance tires, and that’s what I’d suggest for our area.

If you’re going to run a summer and winter set up, get summer and winter tires, don’t get all seasons. All seasons will never be as good as a summer or winter tire.

I ran Nokian hakkapalita R3’s last year, and they were absolutely incredible...in the snow. I’m from MA as well, we don’t have a lot of days where the streets are covered in snow, so they were a little overkill.

Because they’re dedicated snow tires, they’re not great performance tires. I previously had conti wintersport 3d’s, which are winter performance tires, and that’s what I’d suggest for our area.

If you’re going to run a summer and winter set up, get summer and winter tires, don’t get all seasons. All seasons will never be as good as a summer or winter tire.
Great advice Joe. Thanks very much.

What's your opinion for a good summer tyre? I'm looking for max efficiency, rather than anything else.
Thanks