Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Tires for P90DL - Alpin 4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in CT where the pilot a/s 3 oem tire will get me stranded somewhere in a hurry when the snow starts flying. I've long been a fan of the Michelin Pilot Alpin 3 on previous cars and the latest generation Alpin 4 is now available in a size close to our 245/45/19. There is a Porsche specific 255/45/19 N sped tires as listed below. Can anyone say with certainty if the tires load rating is enough?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...el=Pilot+Alpin+PA4+N-Spec&partnum=545VR9PA4N1

Or anyone have another reason I should go with these?

The service description and load rating is enough - it's 100V which exceeds the OEM 98. However, what wheels are you going to use? The stock 19x8 wheels are not really meant for a 255 tire. They're rated for a 245 width maximum.

You would need to get some 19x8.5 wheels to properly fit a 255 tire. Take a look at the Rial Lugano or the T-Sportline 19" Turbine wheels. Also be aware that fitting 255 tires may result in a slight tire-to-fender rub in the front when driving in reverse and turning the steering wheel, depending on your RWD/AWD and suspension (air/coil) configuration.

For an alternative to purchasing both wheels and the Pilot Alpin tires, you can take a look at the Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3, or the Bridgestone Blizzak LM-32, tires, both of which are highly rated and will fit the stock 19x8 wheels.

I am not familiar with the snow conditions in CT. If you drive mostly in snow/ice conditions and not so much wet asphalt , I would recommend nokian hakkapeliitta r2. It's got low rolling resistance and great traction on snow/ice