Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tires in western Oregon?

Winter tires in western Oregon?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Other

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings,

Debating whether to get winter tires on my Model 3 (AWD, non-performance) in western Oregon. It mainly rains in the winter, but where I am we do get frequent frost on the roads, and about a week to two weeks of quite treacherous icy roads per winter. I mostly drive back country roads, fairly well-paved.

I've never needed winter tires on my prior front-wheel drive ice vehicles, but thinking this may be a good idea. Just wondering if it's worth the cost/servicing/storage.

Yes or no to getting winter tires in this situation?

Lived the first 24 years of my life in Oregon and never got winter tires on my vehicles, although I probably should have on certain occasions.

I think 95% of the time you'll be driving in just cold and/or rain, the stock MXM4's and AWD together should be just fine as long as you're cautious. If a big snowstorm hits, most roads aren't drive-able anyways due to the city and drivers not knowing how to handle it. That being said... it never hurts to be overly safe.

Lived the first 24 years of my life in Oregon and never got winter tires on my vehicles, although I probably should have on certain occasions.

I think 95% of the time you'll be driving in just cold and/or rain, the stock MXM4's and AWD together should be just fine as long as you're cautious. If a big snowstorm hits, most roads aren't drive-able anyways due to the city and drivers not knowing how to handle it. That being said... it never hurts to be overly safe.
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, cautious driving is key. One factor not mentioned is I go down/up a quarter mile 15-20 degree slope most days. Sometimes in past winters I've parked my cars at the base or top of the hill just to avoid any risk on it.

Hey there, we live in Bend so deal with a lot more snow than you do but our shoulder seasons aren't far off your winter driving conditions so might be relevant. What part of Oregon are you in? That driveway sounds sketchy. We have friends in Ashland with a similar driveway who have to park at the bottom and take a chained up 4x4 side-by-side up the hill when it snows!

Winter tires tend to be either great in snow and rain (but wear fast) or they are ok in snow/great rain (and wear better). I'd gravitate to the latter for you.

The Pirelli Sottozero II would probably work well for you. It's great in rain, wears well and is better than all seasons in icy conditions. Most of the other winter tires will be too focused on snow for your application and will wear out fast.

Hope that helps!

Hey there, we live in Bend so deal with a lot more snow than you do but our shoulder seasons aren't far off your winter driving conditions so might be relevant. What part of Oregon are you in? That driveway sounds sketchy. We have friends in Ashland with a similar driveway who have to park at the bottom and take a chained up 4x4 side-by-side up the hill when it snows!

Winter tires tend to be either great in snow and rain (but wear fast) or they are ok in snow/great rain (and wear better). I'd gravitate to the latter for you.

The Pirelli Sottozero II would probably work well for you. It's great in rain, wears well and is better than all seasons in icy conditions. Most of the other winter tires will be too focused on snow for your application and will wear out fast.

Hope that helps!
Hi colinmichael - thanks very much for the information! Yes, the Sottozero II are the same ones Tesla sells on their website in the 18" winter tire package. Was considering these, but not sure if I'm going to take the plunge in getting them yet. I'm midway between Portland and the coast, so some hilly areas and windy roads here and there. So far the AWD car is handling like a champ in rainy weather, but dreading the potential ice storm in all-seasons.

Hi colinmichael - thanks very much for the information! Yes, the Sottozero II are the same ones Tesla sells on their website in the 18" winter tire package. Was considering these, but not sure if I'm going to take the plunge in getting them yet. I'm midway between Portland and the coast, so some hilly areas and windy roads here and there. So far the AWD car is handling like a champ in rainy weather, but dreading the potential ice storm in all-seasons.
That semi-coastal ice is the worst! Near freezing temps with wet ice and high humidity, doesn't get much worse than that. Of course given that it's currently 40 and raining here you might not have much ice to deal with this winter. Hard for me to figure what I'd do in your shoes. If I was going to take the plunge the Sotto's would be my pick.

Europe has a far better selection of winter tires than we do and those analytical German's love their comparisons, this site summarizes many of those tire tests: Tyre reviews, tests and ratings - Tyre Reviews
Note that most of these tires aren't available but if you click on the brand of tire you'll often find ones we can get and see where they excel and fail.

You may or may not need winter tires but something to consider is that EVs are torque monsters and torque is your enemy when you are driving on slippery roads. You can't upshift into a taller gear to reduce torque to the wheels using a torque converter like you can in an internal combustion vehicle.

That semi-coastal ice is the worst! Near freezing temps with wet ice and high humidity, doesn't get much worse than that. Of course given that it's currently 40 and raining here you might not have much ice to deal with this winter. Hard for me to figure what I'd do in your shoes. If I was going to take the plunge the Sotto's would be my pick.

Europe has a far better selection of winter tires than we do and those analytical German's love their comparisons, this site summarizes many of those tire tests: Tyre reviews, tests and ratings - Tyre Reviews
Note that most of these tires aren't available but if you click on the brand of tire you'll often find ones we can get and see where they excel and fail.
Yes, the wet weather creates surprisingly dangerous driving conditions at freezing levels. And thanks for the tyre link - great detail there!

You may or may not need winter tires but something to consider is that EVs are torque monsters and torque is your enemy when you are driving on slippery roads. You can't upshift into a taller gear to reduce torque to the wheels using a torque converter like you can in an internal combustion vehicle.
Yes, torque and the regenerative braking could work against control in ice conditions. Ironically the lack of/reduced regen in cold weather when first starting the car may be a benefit. It would be nice to have the option to turn regen completely off. Also maybe a 'chill' mode or 'cold weather' mode option to reduce the instant torque on ice conditions.