Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A bit of good news as follow-up.

I got in touch with Eli, who confirmed that my DS (Alex) could have my tires of choice mounted on 19' Tesla rims (with TPMS) ahead of my car delivery.

He also confirmed that the sumnmer / winter tire swaps would be done as part of the maintenance plan, and that off-season storage (including pictures of the rims and washing prior to mounting) would be offered for $150.

I am still researching tire shops, so far I got a quote for 1,650$ for 4 Hakka 7 (without studs), mounted and balanced. Does that seem to be a fair price for canada?

I decided to go with the Hakka 7's after doing some research, including this article with a clear (but low-res) table: Top-5-winter-tires-for-cars-in-2011 - Auto123

good info thanks. The price you quoted is consistent with what i was quoted from this shop in Laval (they are not right next to the service center however).

Pneus Premier Choix
4080 Boulevard Ste-Rose
H7R 1W7 Laval-Ouest, Quebec
450-963-2114

Where did you go to get your quote? I was also thinking of checking with tiresbyweb to order a set of the Hakka Rs. Has anyone here ordered from them and know what the shipping and duty costs are?

Jeeps,

When talking to Alex, was it clear that you had to buy Tesla rims in order for them to do the mounting/balancing/installation? Did they mention what the rims/TPMS and installation would cost? I'm debating between the Hakka 7 with/without studs or Blizzaks from tirerack and aftermarket rims from there. But then, who would install, I'm not sure, I guess anyone could do it. Is the $150 for storage for all seasons or just one season of storage? I think Acura was charging me only $50 per season for my MDX, so $150 is a bit higher, but not crazy, except that I'm on the shore and would have to go to Laval... argh.

Are you sure you don't want studs? I had them on my TL and they make a difference and they're legal in Quebec... For RWD, I think it would help us, but I'm not 100% sure.

Argh, decisions, decisions!

Hi Zax,

I'm sorry I did not ask about rims other than the Tesla ones, but if you were to get your tires mounted on aftermarket rims, I doubt they would refuse to install them. However, one problem is that the Laval service center at this time does not have the equipment to change wheels (according to them), so it would have to be done in a separate shop (which you could do close to home if you get your car delivered to your house).

If you get the unlimited ranger service plan, I confirmed with Eli that they will come to you and arrange to swap your tires and store them without you having to trek to Laval. Then again, once you have your S, maybe you will WANT to drive there :wink:

As for the storage, I am not 100% sure but I think he said the $150 is per season (will have to confirm this, I was in a rush yesterday, and thought to ask at the end of our conversation).

Regarding the studs, I must say I really don't know. From what I've read, it essentially depends on whether you drive a lot on ice, versus snow / slush. The example that is always mentioned is people who live in coastal areas, where water spray leads to significant icing. In Montreal we get a mix of everything, but I think overall that snow is more common than ice, and there is the issue of noise with studs, as well as potential reduced traction on dry / wet pavement. In a powerful RWD car like the S studs intuitively make sense, but the reviews of the studless Hakka 7's (amongst others with newer rubber compounds) mitigate the advantages... :confused:

Argh indeed!

- - - Updated - - -

good info thanks. The price you quoted is consistent with what i was quoted from this shop in Laval (they are not right next to the service center however).

Pneus Premier Choix
4080 Boulevard Ste-Rose
H7R 1W7 Laval-Ouest, Quebec
450-963-2114

Where did you go to get your quote? I was also thinking of checking with tiresbyweb to order a set of the Hakka Rs. Has anyone here ordered from them and know what the shipping and duty costs are?

Hi Clea,

I got my quote from:

Pneus TB
5675, boul des Laurentides, Laval, QC H7K 2K4
450-622-0088

It's a few blocks north of the service center.

Hi Zax,

If you get the unlimited ranger service plan, I confirmed with Eli that they will come to you and arrange to swap your tires and store them without you having to trek to Laval. Then again, once you have your S, maybe you will WANT to drive there :wink:

As for the storage, I am not 100% sure but I think he said the $150 is per season (will have to confirm this, I was in a rush yesterday, and thought to ask at the end of our conversation).

Regarding the studs, I must say I really don't know. From what I've read, it essentially depends on whether you drive a lot on ice, versus snow / slush. The example that is always mentioned is people who live in coastal areas, where water spray leads to significant icing. In Montreal we get a mix of everything, but I think overall that snow is more common than ice, and there is the issue of noise with studs, as well as potential reduced traction on dry / wet pavement. In a powerful RWD car like the S studs intuitively make sense, but the reviews of the studless Hakka 7's (amongst others with newer rubber compounds) mitigate the advantages... :confused:

Oooh! The rangers will change it on at my place? That's very cool. I'm going to be getting that service. Although I will definitely love to drive the S, going from the south shore to Laval often means a lot of traffic. I'd rather continue south into the Eastern Townships than head North into Laval. :)

OK, you've convinced me against studs. Once I know the price of the rims only from Tesla, I'll decide if I want to get aftermarket rims/tires from tirerack (likely Blizzak), or Tesla rims and local Hakka. But I'm thinking my car will likely arrive closer to the end of my delivery window (if not after), so I might not even do it this year... Hopefully I'll get a VIN and confirmed delivery date soon to be able to make that decision. :)

Oooh! The rangers will change it on at my place? That's very cool. I'm going to be getting that service. Although I will definitely love to drive the S, going from the south shore to Laval often means a lot of traffic. I'd rather continue south into the Eastern Townships than head North into Laval. :)

OK, you've convinced me against studs. Once I know the price of the rims only from Tesla, I'll decide if I want to get aftermarket rims/tires from tirerack (likely Blizzak), or Tesla rims and local Hakka. But I'm thinking my car will likely arrive closer to the end of my delivery window (if not after), so I might not even do it this year... Hopefully I'll get a VIN and confirmed delivery date soon to be able to make that decision. :)

I'm not sure if they will change it at your house, or take your car, change the tires, and bring it back (seems more likely to me).

Either way, you don't have to go to Laval :biggrin:

For sure, if my delivery is delayed, I will also postpone the winter wheel purchase to next fall.

I just stopped by the service center today and someone was just finishing up getting their car (nice to have met you if you are on here). They had the OEM Hakka 7 studded tires and they did not make as much noise as I expected even on the store's tiles as he was driving it out of the center. Tim brought out an unmounted example for me to inspect and after discussing it with him I am confident that they (the studs) will not be an issue and I will be ordering the stock winter tire package with the Hakkas 7s for my delivery.

I just stopped by the service center today and someone was just finishing up getting their car (nice to have met you if you are on here). They had the OEM Hakka 7 studded tires and they did not make as much noise as I expected even on the store's tiles as he was driving it out of the center. Tim brought out an unmounted example for me to inspect and after discussing it with him I am confident that they (the studs) will not be an issue and I will be ordering the stock winter tire package with the Hakkas 7s for my delivery.

Clea,

That's very encouraging. What does the full set cost in Canada?

Clea,

Part of my concerns are about noise on dry pavement while driving at moderate to highway speeds, and about the long-term effect of studs on my garage floor / driveway.

Quite a difficult decision to make without more data...

Part of my concerns are about noise on dry pavement while driving at moderate to highway speeds, and about the long-term effect of studs on my garage floor / driveway.

Except on ice where the ice surface is around freezing temperatures, studs give you less traction, increase stopping distance, cause pavement wear, increase lung cancer, and of course they are noisy and get noisier as the tire wears. There are some situations, such as ice racing, where studs are the cat's meow but in almost all other situations they are a significant detriment.

Thanks, I'm really pleased with how it turned out!

They require centering rings which were included. (already installed in the rim). The wheel bolts and the socket that fits them were included as well.

Mnx,

Those Enkei Tuning wheels look awesome on your white S ! Great choice !

Did they require centering rings, or any additional hardware short of the lugnuts ?

For that matter, were the lugnuts included ?

Clea,

Quite a difficult decision to make without more data...

That was my main concern as well but the studs on these are different than the studs I remember from when I was younger and because of that I believe that they will have less of the understood negative impacts that I have always associated with studded tires.

@jerry33 I would be interested to know if your comments related to studded tires include experience with the Hakkas 7s or are aimed specifically at studs in general.

- - - Updated - - -

I would also be open to meeting with anyone who is interested in evaluating the tires on my car once it is delivered if you think it would help in making your final decision.

Studs in general (and many technical bulletins :)

OK, thanks. The chart that jeeps posted before suggest that the studded Hakkas 7s get decent dry and wet pavement scores (87 & 86 respectively) so my biggest concern is the environmental impact this specific variety pose; noise and pavement effects such as extra wear and lung cancer. This requires more research but my initial impression is that they have minimised these effects.

- - - Updated - - -

When do you get your car, and where do we meet?

:biggrin:

My Window started today but I have yet to receive more info than a VIN through the phone app. I will be sure to let you know when I have more info.

Studded tires are amazing in snow. However, many interior parking facilities (condos, hotels, offices) are PROHIBITING them. Personally, I had studded on my Audi and I regretted the noise when there wasn't snow on the road - which is quite often! But again, it's always a question of sacrifices... If you only have the S maybe that's a good idea.

A friend of mine in Montreal as a Model S with studded Nokian's. I can ask him about noise, traction if you want.

patp, I think Jeeps and I would like to take you up on your offer. Both of us are on the fence about the studded Nokians and would appreciate any feedback your friend could provide about riding on them in his S in Montreal.

patp, I think Jeeps and I would like to take you up on your offer. Both of us are on the fence about the studded Nokians and would appreciate any feedback your friend could provide about riding on them in his S in Montreal.

Count me in to knowing what your friend thinks of the studdied Nokians. :)

I'm honestly thinking that I won't put winter tires on my car this year though. If I get it around March 16th, I think I'd rather wait for another year to go by and see what the options are then. But we'll see!