Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiper fluid/nozzle issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

When I spray my windshield fluid - it does not cover/reaches hardly any of the windows -- especially on the driver's side. I think it has always been like this but it always drives me crazy in the winter. Haven't complained to Tesla yet -- curious if anyone had this issue/has a fix? Thanks!!

upload_2020-11-23_8-38-36.png

I've had this happen and in most instances this is an easy 2-min fix to just do yourself. Sometime the nozzles get clogged up and you can use a smaller pick tool or similar to clear any deposit build ups that are clogging the nozzle exit. You can also insert the same tool gently into the hole and angle/aim your nozzles as well. Difficult to get to but relatively easy to adjust/maintain on your own to avoid the nightmare factory... err... service center.

I've had this happen and in most instances this is an easy 2-min fix to just do yourself. Sometime the nozzles get clogged up and you can use a smaller pick tool or similar to clear any deposit build ups that are clogging the nozzle exit. You can also insert the same tool gently into the hole and angle/aim your nozzles as well. Difficult to get to but relatively easy to adjust/maintain on your own to avoid the nightmare factory... err... service center.
Hi, nozzles have always been like this. I did try cleaning though. Thinking maybe there is an updated part to fix it.

I've tired all forms of cleaning the nozzles with a small needle, and even thinner piece of bendable wire, nothing worked. I even pumped out all the fluid and filled it in with new fluid and nothing.

Thanks for the info. Can you provide an update when you hear back?

Sure thing. I'll let you know what happens. I even took a video and photo and sent them to the SC as evidence. Rule of thumb is always take a video or photo. Attach the photos to the service appointment you create in the app, and when you get the text message, then send them the video file so they have it on file.

Reactions: hpartsch
If you have an older Model S without the sub-zero package, i believe the nozzles can be more or less easily bent to improve the coverage. But as I understand it, the nozzles on cars equipped with the sub-zero package are much more difficult to aim, and possibly not adjustable, because of the heater assembly.

I've tired all forms of cleaning the nozzles with a small needle, and even thinner piece of bendable wire, nothing worked. I even pumped out all the fluid and filled it in with new fluid and nothing.
In that case, you may have another issue that requires nozzle/line/pump replacement. In all instances I've experienced I was able to de-clog the nozzles (some with more effort than others) and adjust them properly using nothing more than a small pick tool. In most cases I could actually see some white & blue corrosion at the exit of the nozzle. In others the deposits must have been just inside because while I wasn't able to see them I was able to de-clog and get them functioning properly again.

If you have an older Model S without the sub-zero package, i believe the nozzles can be more or less easily bent to improve the coverage. But as I understand it, the nozzles on cars equipped with the sub-zero package are much more difficult to aim, and possibly not adjustable, because of the heater assembly.

What I described above also works the same on the heated nozzles. The only "heating" is at the base in the plastic housing where the nozzle is anchored and is mounted/attached to the hood. I'm not 100% that this works on ALL versions of the Model S/X cars though. I believe they may have changed the nozzle design at some point on newer cars so maybe it's on those that are less friendly for user-adjustment? I know that the pre-fresh and early refresh cars (subzero or not) that I've owned all adjust/clean in this same manner.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
If there is away to disconnect the hose from the nozzle, you can see if the pump is generating pressure. If it does, try the pick tool with compressed air blown into the nozzle from the outside to push any dirt away from the jet.

As noted it’s a ”fan type”, spreading the fluid widely over the screen. And mine it’s not heated version. My car was on production line from the end of 2015 until 01/2016 and is indicated as 2016 car.

Last edited:
As noted it’s a ”fan type”, spreading the fluid widely over the screen. And mine it’s not heated version. My car was on production line from the end of 2015 until 01/2016 and is indicated as 2016 car.

Very interesting. It seems as though maybe they updated the non-heated version of the nozzles quite a bit of time prior to the heated ones as my refresh cars (mid-late 2016) have subzero and still have the crappy two-stream style for each nozzle. These can be adjusted to work quite well though so I haven't been too motivated to do the Ford part upgrade. I also don't keep my cars long enough to justify doing some modifications but if I anticipated keeping either of my current cars for an extended period of time I'd do the mod as it seems easy and inexpensive for an obvious upgrade in performance. In my earlier cars I went to a lot of efforts in some cases to modify them to include features that were available/standard on slightly newer cars but then ended up getting slightly newer versions of the car anyway making all that time and money invested largely wasted. Now I just live with things like these 2-stream nozzles knowing that I'll probably have a slightly newer version of this car before long that will have that change and others already. For those who plan to keep their cars a little bit longer though I recommend doing a search here and via Google to find a few how to's on upgrading the 2-stream style to the fan style as they are much better of a design.