Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiper Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have a issue where you cannot control the wiper speed or even turn them off? Reboots do nothing. The only way the wipers stop is when I stop the car, get out of the front seat & close the door.

Quite embarrassing, driving in sunny weather with the wipers on. I'm FSD Beta 10.10.2 but its not engaged nor is standard AP. I'm assuming its safer for the wipers to fail on than off.

I opened a service request but the appointment isn't until March 3rd.

I don't think there's anything you can do about it.... The wipers are automatically set to auto when you use autopilot/FSD. And unfortunately, the wiper sensor is trash - it only runs half the time (and often way too slow) when there is rain and it seems to come on randomly whenever it's sunny out.

For what it's worth, if you click in on the button on the left hand stalk, it'll run the wiper once. When that happens, you'll get a popup on the left side of your screen that shows your wiper setting.

Not using AP or FSD - the wipers just continue to run non stop. Cant adjust the speed or turn them off by using the screen, stalk push button pop-up or voice control. They've simply gone rogue. I've the done the 2 button reset multiple times, and the Power Off sequence to no avail. I can spray fluid no problem.

Very odd - has to be software right?

Only time I see this is if there is Anything on the glass in the camera area. Typically a couple squirts of washer fluid will resolve and stop the auto on or simply clean that area manually. Any salt smears etc will restrict the camera.

Not using AP or FSD - the wipers just continue to run non stop. Cant adjust the speed or turn them off by using the screen, stalk push button pop-up or voice control. They've simply gone rogue. I've the done the 2 button reset multiple times, and the Power Off sequence to no avail. I can spray fluid no problem.

Very odd - has to be software right?
Have you tried to "Shutdown" and then then let the car sleep for 10 minutes and come back and wake it up?

Reactions: WyomingEV
Only time I see this is if there is Anything on the glass in the camera area. Typically a couple squirts of washer fluid will resolve and stop the auto on or simply clean that area manually. Any salt smears etc will restrict the camera.
I had the crazy wiper action with salt spray near the camera too. This sounds a little different. Time for a service call.....

All - in case this happens to anyone else - I found the issue. Please be careful with the carbon fiber overlays - the fit didn't allow the button to fully release. I nominate myself for "donkey of the day". Once I adjusted the wipers worked as normal. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• IMG_0495.jpeg
    IMG_0495.jpeg
    325.1 KB · Views: 146
  • Funny
Reactions: Meistersoft
Let me chime in on the subject...
First of all, I have no carbon fiber or any other mods installed - Car is stock
My wife just called me (while driving on the freeway) and said she went under a bridge(or something like that) and the wipers came on with no way to turn them off. Even with the car not on AP there was no way to turn them off. The little pop-up window for the wipers was greyed out as well as in the main menu.
Short story long - I had her reboot while driving and it fixed it.
Version 2022.20.7