Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
^^^ rainX on that glass (not over the camera portion) will clear that right up and make for a much clearer drive.
Yes I use that on the roof and side windows anyway. Normally I would use the stalk button in a situation like this & it would have been clear but I wanted to see if the cameras would detect such a large volume of water. They don't.

Yes I use that on the roof and side windows anyway. Normally I would use the stalk button in a situation like this & it would have been clear but I wanted to see if the cameras would detect such a large volume of water. They don't.
Ah ok. On the windscreen avoid the camera area as I’ve found it makes it worse.

Mine also doesn’t wipe water like that off even when I start a journey so have to give it a helping hand!

Same terrible problems here with "deep wipe." I recently switched to Rainx winshield washer fluid, and have found that wiping is as bad (or worse), especially at night. But I no longer care that much, as the beading rain doesn't reduce visibility much.

Also on 32.6. I almost never drive on the freeway so I rarely use AP. Had occasion to do some freeway driving today in bright sunshine and was looking forward to trying out AP for a bit. Repeated dry wiping both on the way there (noon, sun overhead) and on the way back (evening, sun lower down). Gave up and turned off AP after about 10 minutes both times as I couldn't bear the wipers dragging over the dry windscreen. So frustrating.
At the risk of replying to myself, I thought I should update to say that I cleaned the area in front of the cameras before setting off on my last journey and, in fairness, autopilot worked well on the same stretch of freeway in sunshine, as well as on a few other stretches of road over the weekend, with not a single errant dry wipe. So maybe it just is overly sensitive to small amounts of dirt or dust in this area.

At the risk of replying to myself, I thought I should update to say that I cleaned the area in front of the cameras before setting off on my last journey and, in fairness, autopilot worked well on the same stretch of freeway in sunshine, as well as on a few other stretches of road over the weekend, with not a single errant dry wipe. So maybe it just is overly sensitive to small amounts of dirt or dust in this area.
It seems kind of ironic that wipers do not keep the camera clean enough for the wipers to function properly.

I may be too forward looking even for Tesla, but a car I used to own had rain sensor wipers that had variable sensitivity, which could be fine-tuned as and when needed by a switch on these “stalk-like” extrusions conveniently connected to the steering wheel. Similarly, if I wanted to indicate which direction I wanted to turn in, I had a similarly convenient rocker stalk to do this, rather than press the awkward buttons in the steering wheel, which never seemed to be to hand. The “wheel” was just that, as it is a perfect example of form and function. Similarly, my old car used ultrasonic sensors to make up for the inherent limitations of trying to visually judge small distances.

Are they complete idiots, or are we idiots for even considering buying a car that makes driving less convenient?

I may be too forward looking even for Tesla, but a car I used to own had rain sensor wipers that had variable sensitivity, which could be fine-tuned as and when needed by a switch on these “stalk-like” extrusions conveniently connected to the steering wheel. Similarly, if I wanted to indicate which direction I wanted to turn in, I had a similarly convenient rocker stalk to do this, rather than press the awkward buttons in the steering wheel, which never seemed to be to hand. The “wheel” was just that, as it is a perfect example of form and function. Similarly, my old car used ultrasonic sensors to make up for the inherent limitations of trying to visually judge small distances.

Are they complete idiots, or are we idiots for even considering buying a car that makes driving less convenient?
We're the idiots because we (the royal "we") are still buying these cars in spite of the removal of functional tech without an effective replacement.

So long as people keep buying the cars and putting up with it, or finding workarounds, so will it continue.

The climate has changed vis-a-vis EV cars in the same bracket as Teslas though. 3.5 years ago when I got mine it was still really the only game in town, now there's a lot more choice. I get the feeling there could well be a significant contingent of existing owners who bought into the brand sight unseen but have discovered that the tech (battery efficiencies notwithstanding) is smoke and mirrors, and hollow promises. Several other cars have lane keeping that is essentially as good or better than AP, some other cars have things like full remote parking and summoning (Kia and Hyundai can both do this), etc.

Tesla being at the forefront of technology is a bit of an Emperor's New Clothes thing for me, having been an owner for several years. It simply isn't true. They are sorely lacking in driver convenience features at this (matrix lights) or any price point (wipers, parking sensors).

People will crow about FSDb but that's not here, and won't be for several years. People buying cars now won't see FSDb in the practical lifetime of their car unless they hold onto it for 5+ years, at which time there wil be at least one generational and non-retrofittable change in camera and/or AP CPU tech and possibly positioning to make their cars perform ineffectively.

All of this is against a backdrop of Tesla cratering resale prices on a whim to push volume. That they still have double digit margins across their cars ought to be of some concern to anyone who actually expects some residual value in their car.

I wish I'd known all of the above 3.5 years ago.

My PCP contract is up in March and I am really don’t know where to turn at the moment. The enjoyment of my 3P in the last few months has really been tarnished. I too am worried about vision only in the future.

I had a Tesla home visit yesterday to try and sort out the atrocious problems with vision only auto pilot only to be told it’s a known software issue. Today I had a call from Tesla thinking it was a follow-up and no, it was to try and get me to reserve a 3 Highlander

Tesla still has one of the most efficient drivetrains out there, and a still bit of an advantage with their own charging network and routing/infotainment.
We all see this is starting to fade away, as competition greatly improves, with pure EV platform (and not talking about many hybrids ICE/EV single platforms)

For the past decade, Tesla was here to tell us what we needed from an EV.
It's now time they listen and give customers what they want, or they will indeed go elsewhere very soon.

For me, it's mostly all the features I took for granted in my previous cars and that simply not there for Tesla, because Elon didn't think it was important (to him?):
- Full bird's eye view/360° cameras for navigating narrow passages (meaning cameras in front bumper or in side view mirrors).
- rain sensor that works (no more skipping on a $2 Bosch sensor)
- autopark that works (no more skipping on $13 USS sensors & a radar)
- CarPlay
- Better interior quality
- option for an air suspension on 3/Y

I could also add other simple refinements such as
- memory settings for passenger seats
- carkey integration

it's not that difficult. But this requires dealing down on the ego and admitting that Vision only was a cost-cutting measure with a blind overconfidence in AI tech that is simply not ready for prime-time yet and requires other traditional sensors.

There's nothing wrong with using the same hardware as 90% of the other automakers on the planet, instead of desperately trying reinvent the wheel and 'think different'.

It does seem a shame that the Tesla of 2023 (and earlier) is all about building down to cost, rather than up to aspiration.

It must have been pretty amazing buying the original Model S or X, back when Tesla was all about pushing the envelope. Now they appear to be in the business of "stack 'em high, sell 'em cheap", which obviously works for their investors, but it isn't very aspirational.

And Elon's antics on Twitter/X aren't really helping, since he is so inextricably to Tesla and it's brand image.

Reactions: guru1
Tesla still has one of the most efficient drivetrains out there, and a still bit of an advantage with their own charging network and routing/infotainment.
We all see this is starting to fade away, as competition greatly improves, with pure EV platform (and not talking about many hybrids ICE/EV single platforms)

For the past decade, Tesla was here to tell us what we needed from an EV.
It's now time they listen and give customers what they want, or they will indeed go elsewhere very soon.

For me, it's mostly all the features I took for granted in my previous cars and that simply not there for Tesla, because Elon didn't think it was important (to him?):
- Full bird's eye view/360° cameras for navigating narrow passages (meaning cameras in front bumper or in side view mirrors).
- rain sensor that works (no more skipping on a $2 Bosch sensor)
- autopark that works (no more skipping on $13 USS sensors & a radar)
- CarPlay
- Better interior quality
- option for an air suspension on 3/Y

I could also add other simple refinements such as
- memory settings for passenger seats
- carkey integration

it's not that difficult. But this requires dealing down on the ego and admitting that Vision only was a cost-cutting measure with a blind overconfidence in AI tech that is simply not ready for prime-time yet and requires other traditional sensors.

There's nothing wrong with using the same hardware as 90% of the other automakers on the planet, instead of desperately trying reinvent the wheel and 'think different'.
Yes, they need to start acting like a proper consumer-led company. As I said, the irony is that it’s much easier for Tesla to polish the 3 and Y into really great all-rounders than it is for legacy manufacturers to catch up on the EV side of things.

Truth is that they’re leaving an open-goal for a Chinese company with low production costs to polish out the rough edges of the 3/Y, and make something much more desirable - like the BYD Weasel (or whatever bizarre name they come out with) appears to be attempting.

I was actually reasonably happy with Auto wipers for enough months that I don't recall which release improved them. Sometimes I had to force a wipe, but dry wipes were always caused by something obvious like bird droppings in front of the camera. (I could have designed a wiper UI that I liked better, but it would have been more complex, which some drivers would hate.)

Alas, after updating from release 2023.7.20 to 2023.7.30 almost 3,000 miles ago, the dry wipes have become a chronic problem. Even after manually wiping down the windshield in front of the camera. At least once I believe I even saw it wipe while the screen claimed wipers were OFF. It is of course possible that some hardware issue is causing my problem, but I strongly suspect a software regression.

That said, in the USA, I still think Tesla will generally remain the best BEV choice for anyone who needs the ability to road trip until a NACS compatible competitor becomes available. The model 3 and Y are perhaps leaving the borderline luxury category, but so are their prices.