Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turning off traffic aware cruise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HI All,

This has probably been asked 1000 times in which case I apologise. Is there any way to turn off the "traffic aware" bit of the cruise in a Model Y. I'd be happier with it working as bog standard cruise instead of "traffic aware" if it meant I didn't have to have the auto wipers running constantly when sunny, phantom breaking and a low max speed. One of the reasons I picked the Y over a couple of other vehicles I was considering was the traffic aware cruise, but it's just a pain and makes long journeys nothing like as relaxing as they should be.

Thank you

HI All,

This has probably been asked 1000 times in which case I apologise. Is there any way to turn off the "traffic aware" bit of the cruise in a Model Y. I'd be happier with it working as bog standard cruise instead of "traffic aware" if it meant I didn't have to have the auto wipers running constantly when sunny, phantom breaking and a low max speed. One of the reasons I picked the Y over a couple of other vehicles I was considering was the traffic aware cruise, but it's just a pain and makes long journeys nothing like as relaxing as they should be.

Thank you
On a non Tesla the traffic aware part isn't a problem driving on normal streets even with cars parked on the side just achieved using radar. Now Tesla has disabled radar I doubt we will be seeing a speed limiter or TACC that isn't using AP as it currently is, AP is superior on motorway drives but its questionable on all other roads

Sigh.... Thank you both for your comments. Having had radar cruise on multiple cars in the past I was wrongly expecting AP would be as good when I got the MY. I could live with the short comings of AP if a) the wipers worked properly b) you could turn the thing of, so cruise could be used at any speed just with out the traffic aware feature. To be honest the wipers is the biggie, if I could stop them constantly running in the sun i'd be a happier (not happy) man.

Sigh.... Thank you both for your comments. Having had radar cruise on multiple cars in the past I was wrongly expecting AP would be as good when I got the MY. I could live with the short comings of AP if a) the wipers worked properly b) you could turn the thing of, so cruise could be used at any speed just with out the traffic aware feature. To be honest the wipers is the biggie, if I could stop them constantly running in the sun i'd be a happier (not happy) man.
umm..
if you had radar cruise (so traffic aware one) - what is the problem with Tesla's TACC? Well, apart the moment where it could accelerate a bit quicker...?

• Disagree
Reactions: Ami-Sven
umm..
if you had radar cruise (so traffic aware one) - what is the problem with Tesla's TACC? Well, apart the moment where it could accelerate a bit quicker...?
It phantom brakes more then any other car I have had, It accelerates and brakes inconsistently and the biggest issue is having to have the wipers on auto when they go run constantly when sunny. The limitation on top speed when on cruise is also a pain, though a minor one.

It phantom brakes more then any other car I have had, It accelerates and brakes inconsistently and the biggest issue is having to have the wipers on auto when they go run constantly when sunny. The limitation on top speed when on cruise is also a pain, though a minor one.
it's not perfect, I agree. but I *myself) find it much much better than standard dumb cc.

I do a lot Motorway miles (M1, M42, etc) and I am actually quite happy with TACC and AP in general, and these days wipers are somewhat OK.. maybe the water sensor/camera is faulty if it starts wiping on dry in sunshine because in my experience this is not the case for last 8 months or so (and believe me - I will bash it if I have a chance...). it might be better in adjusting wipers in rain, but I have very rare occasions when it wipes dry glass...

limitations is sad, but it is still 15 mph above UK speed limit on Motorways.

phantom brakes are more or les gone now since tesla moved to TV in late autumn 2022 (it used to *sugar* bricks one the truck was nearby)

it's not perfect, I agree. but I *myself) find it much much better than standard dumb cc.

I do a lot Motorway miles (M1, M42, etc) and I am actually quite happy with TACC and AP in general, and these days wipers are somewhat OK.. maybe the water sensor/camera is faulty if it starts wiping on dry in sunshine because in my experience this is not the case for last 8 months or so (and believe me - I will bash it if I have a chance...). it might be better in adjusting wipers in rain, but I have very rare occasions when it wipes dry glass...

phantom brakes are more or les gone now since tesla moved to TV in late autumn 2022 (it used to *sugar* bricks one the truck was nearby)
The thing is, this clear difference in behavior between vehicles/software versions/environments is one of the reasons the OP (and I) want dumb cruise to be available.

Unfortunately HyunKia has followed Tesla's lead and doesn't have dumb backup on their IoniqN/EVNs, which could make the quest for my next EV harder.

Cheers - I may speak to the service centre about the dry wiping in sunshine, as it pretty much every sunny day. Agree the speed limitation isn't an issue in the UK, but I drive in Germany a reasonable amount (however there is obviously a balance between speed and electricity utilisation anyway).

Reactions: yessuz
The wipers are annoying, but in my experience it's always caused by dirt on the windscreen in front of the cameras. I keep a microfibre and Gtechnic G6 in the boot and stop and clean it somewhere legal and safe if it's bothering me.

Of course it'll all be fixed in 3 weeks with a software update according to Elon.

The answer to all this, as we should be able to guess by now, will be to train a new AI model for activating the screen wash. They'll call the AI Deep Clean, but it won't work until Deep Clean v2.

New version of the auto wiper code (v4) is promised to be mere weeks away. Whether or not it's likely to be noticeably better is a matter of some debate - but it will probably be at least somewhat different in behaviour.

Tacc has auto resume...
Single stalk down resume... :/
I must have missed something then, I thought single stalk down just re enabled tacc (at the actual speed the car is travelling at the moment the stalk is pressed)... my definition of resume is to "restore" the previously set speed before cruise was disengaged ( by braking or deselected by other means) ??

On the wipers front I would highly recommend S3XY Buttons, as you can set a simple button click to turn off the wipers when AP is enabled.

I was on the verge of getting rid of the car due to the constant "phantom" wiping meaning I couldn't use TACC (never mind AP) when streetlights were on.

Now I can just press a button and all sorted (plus there are loads of other things you can do with the buttons too).

Reactions: Rooster6655
On the wipers front I would highly recommend S3XY Buttons, as you can set a simple button click to turn off the wipers when AP is enabled.

I was on the verge of getting rid of the car due to the constant "phantom" wiping meaning I couldn't use TACC (never mind AP) when streetlights were on.

Now I can just press a button and all sorted (plus there are loads of other things you can do with the buttons too).
Hi,

just to clarify, with S3XY buttons you can override the auto nature of the wipers when on Cruise.

I must have missed something then, I thought single stalk down just re enabled tacc (at the actual speed the car is travelling at the moment the stalk is pressed)... my definition of resume is to "restore" the previously set speed before cruise was disengaged ( by braking or deselected by other means) ??
This is another annoyance I've given up on. Every car I have had allowed resume at previous speed. The max option isn't fit for purpose given it picks up 20 zones from every side street I pass

That’s surprising. Whenever I have switched off wipers by the usual method the car protests loudly and boots me out of AP.

Reactions: s_zigmond