Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Alas, after updating from release 2023.7.20 to 2023.7.30 almost 3,000 miles ago, the dry wipes have become a chronic problem. Even after manually wiping down the windshield in front of the camera. At least once I believe I even saw it wipe while the screen claimed wipers were OFF. It is of course possible that some hardware issue is causing my problem, but I strongly suspect a software regression.
Correction, from 2023.7.30 to 2023.27.6

Is there a USA forum? Does it really matter?

Yes. Take your pick

We just happen to use ours for UK centric discussion because most here don’t venture into the global forums as much of the discussion is either irrelevant to UK, eg FSD, weather, types of roads, LHD/RHD, MiC, deliveries etc, or ‘less friendly’.

Reactions: ACarneiro
Yes. Take your pick

We just happen to use ours for UK centric discussion because most here don’t venture into the global forums as much of the discussion is either irrelevant to UK, eg FSD, weather, types of roads, LHD/RHD, MiC, deliveries etc, or ‘less friendly’.
A local forum for local people one might say. :)

local.png

• Funny
Reactions: ACarneiro and Obie
Still utter tosh. Driving eastwards last night on my way home from work around 7pm and a brillant clear moonlit sky. Wipers on 'auto' with 1 tone cruise control on and constant 'dry wiping' for 8 miles with the only visible cause being the moon.

Road turns and I'm now travelling North... wipers behave for the couple miles. No street lights, typical dual carriageway in both directions, no changes to my driving setup. Road forks East... and you've guessed it, wipers go back to 'dry wiping'. Gave up and drove the rest of the way manually with no fancy gadgets like f*cking cruise control on and wipers set to off..

Surely Tesla can distinguish between the moon and FOD on the windscreen!? Utter, utter tosh (i'm putting it politely).

Reactions: M1tch
Found myself manually wiping to clear the view this foggy morning, until Auto headlights decided rear fog light, front fog light, in fact all lights weren’t necessary and turned them all off. West California coastline rather well known for such a weather event, perhaps not inland.

At least the company listened to feedback and deleted the indicator stalks 🤪

In the same way that owners with vision-based parking have to accept their car has no clue where the bollards are, owners with vision-based rain sensing have to accept their car has no clue where the water is. The company won't go back on any of this because doing so would undermine its religious zeal for everything being based around cameras.

Use your wallet to vote against it. After six years I fully intend to.

Reactions: alset tone
Found myself manually wiping to clear the view this foggy morning, until Auto headlights decided rear fog light, front fog light, in fact all lights weren’t necessary and turned them all off. West California coastline rather well known for such a weather event, perhaps not inland.

In many cars, fog during the day causes problems for auto headlights. Any car I have owned with auto headlights has always given the caveat of using manual lights in those conditions. Which would then of course would prevent god lights from turning off.

However, it would be more useful if it didn't turn auto headlights off if fog lights were on, but then I guess the car knows best ;)
For similar reason, I hope we get the recent lights on when windscreen wipers are on mode too - that would solve the lights should be on but aren't issue when suddenly running into heavy spray from cars on a motorway. They are probably waiting to make windscreen wipers more predictable first...

So what do the long-standing leaders in car safety - Volvo - do about daylight fog or drizzle? Our top-of-the range, car of the year XC40 does not even have a "headlights on" display icon in the instrument panel. The only indication the driver gets when the headlights are on dipped beam is the pool of light in front of the car after dark. The auto lights are fine then, but in daylight the driver is guessing what the state is.
What about the manual light switch? The clever designers have included all the lighting functions on the indicator stalk, operated by rotating the end of the stalk. There is a string of tiny icons for the various settings inscribed on the stalk, but as it's all hidden behind the steering wheel it's difficult to get the necessary magnifying glass into place to read it whilst driving.
My experience is that the only way to find out whether the lights are on whilst driving in fog or drizzle is to get close enough to the car in front to see my car's reflection in its paintwork - not recommended! Pressing the stalk forward to engage high beam (which DOES have an illuminated icon when the headlights are in use) may help - if the auto lights software allow you use main beam - but may not be appreciated by other drivers.

Tesla isn't the only one with its head in the sand.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Why are auto headlights so popular?

I have always dipped headlights when I can see (e.g. on overhead wires) there is a car approaching, and coming from around a blind bend etc.

I've never thought this was difficult.

Back when auto headlights didn't exist the number of time I got dazzled by oncoming cars, driver in forgetful mode, was negligible.

Whereas, now, if I use auto my car will maintain high beam until it has clear sight of the oncoming car's headlights (its probably better than that, but not always). There are cases where it may fail to detect at all - e.g. dual carriage with a good solid central barrier - where it will engage high beam, that won't upset oncoming cars, but truck drivers, sitting up high, will be blinded (and their headlights will not be visible behind a good solid central reservation barrier)

I hear people telling me that their BMW/whatever headlights that block out individual bits of the light, and mask to avoid blinding oncoming traffic, are amazing - the benefit of a masked BEAM rather than DIP I get - and they tell me they "work perfectly", but of course they haven't sat in the oncoming car.

But there again Central Locking was an amazing introduction (get out, unlock door, let passenger in), as was electric windows (open the passenger window from driver's side), as was seat belts - stay alive!

I hear people telling me that their BMW/whatever headlights that block out individual bits of the light, and mask to avoid blinding oncoming traffic, are amazing - the benefit of a masked BEAM rather than DIP I get - and they tell me they "work perfectly", but of course they haven't sat in the oncoming car.
This is exactly what true Matrix headlamps do and many established manufacturers with their more premium offerings have fitted.
Tesla - well they don't have proper Matrix - they project TESLA and that's it, however, now the USA are adopting Matrix I presume at some point Tesla will get a few techs on the job ----- God help us.