Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wireless Phone Charging Case Recommendation Please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Tesla community.

I have an Oppo Android smartphone. If has NFC but does not have wireless charging. Can anyone recommend an induction coil / case that works well with a 2023 MY / M3?

I did purchase one I found on Amazon but it's performance is absolutely rubbish. Before I go and buy something else randomly, I'd prefer to try something that someone can refer to me they know works (and works well).

Many thanks in Advance.

=Mark

It has just died, but I have OnePlus 3 and OnePlus 6. OnePlus is owned by Oppo so many similarities. I bought a couple of Nillkin induction units which stick on the back of the phones and plug into the USBc. Worked fine in the Tesla M3 LR for the past couple of years and that is with a cover over the phone/coil. Now I have a Pixel7A with built in wireless charging and with the identical case it won't charge in the M3. If I remove the case it does charge. So a big thumbs up for the Nillkin coil unit.

Upvote 0
How old is your Oppo phone ?
Sorry but why not just buy a new phone that has wireless charging included ?
You can get a Moto edge 30 pro for less than $500 , and it has wireless charging at 15w

There might even be cheaper new phones than that

Upvote 0
Thank you to all that replied.

My Oppo A54 is new and just a few months old so not keen on purchasing another phone. Someone said even the wireless Pixel 6 doesn't work in his M3!!

The 5v 1000mAh coil with USB-C connector works (albeit charges slowly) if I don't use my plastic phone case. With the case it won't charge. I purchased the coil from Amazon and it was manufactured in China. Brand unknown.

I'll potentially try the other coil someone mentioned.

Failing that I'll just stick to using a USB-C charge cable.

Upvote 0
* sorry meant Pixel 7A
My Pixel 7A DOES work in the car but only with the case off. My Oneplus phones both work in the car WITH the same case on and the Nillken coil units. They are not high power but proved perfectly adequate over a couple of years until I got the Pixel. On a two week trip Sydney-Barossa-Sydney of several thousand km the only charging I used on the phones was with these Nillken wireless units.

Upvote 0
When i bought my Holden ZB Calais the wireless charger wouldnt charge newer phones, and older phones it was so slow or intermittent i never used it. After a bit of research i found out that GM had put some old module in the AU spec cars, and the newer module which works with newer phones into the rest. Luckily everything is modular so i just bought one from a US seller (he was selling heaps to AU) and put it in and its been sweet ever since.
I rarely use it though as its in the centre console and the car doesnt have wireless CP/AA so i use a cable and a snap mount anyway, but it has got me out of a pickle when someone elses phone needs charging.
It wouldnt accept a phone with a case on it either, physically difficult and if you wedged it in there it wouldnt work anyway.
Those coils pads look interesting as a work around. Apple have a case which is also a battery pack and has wireless charging built in. It connects to the host phone via an inbuilt lightening port. I wonder if such tech is available for android phones?

Upvote 0
Here is one of my (used) coil units. It is super thin, with the thickest part being the adhesive pad. About 1mm thick which is fantastic.

Incidentally, today I checked my Pixel 7A (without case) and it charges approximately 12% per hour (switched on).

Attachments

• PXL_20231011_042026423.jpg
    PXL_20231011_042026423.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 64
Upvote 0