Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wireless Qi charger opinions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone tried putting a Qi pad behind the stock rubber pad that comes with the Model 3? Wondering if it's too thick to charge efficiently through it.
That is being discussed in this thread
Best wireless pad and yes it is possible to put a Qi pad behind the rubber pad and it will work. But thick phone cases may be an issue.

Last edited:
Got a 3D printer from Amazon including 3 coil QI PCB.
Happy to share the design (works for an iPhone X with case)
It's working perfect for me, just drop it in and it's charging. However going to make a reprint in a more stylish (slimmer) design.

IMG_2970.JPG

The recently announced IPhone Xs and Xs Max have faster wireless charging (greater than 7.5w but can’t find actual number yet).
Sounds like it would be 10w, but via some future upgrade and some unspecified time. I wouldn't let this influence your decision... you can get stuck in limbo if you always hold out for the next big thing.

The cool thing about wireless charging is that since its so easy, you end up charging your phone more often which I think is a reasonable trade off even if you're charging slower.

The fastest way to charge an iPhone X/Xs is with a USB C to Lightning cable (only sold by Apple right now). Have one of those available to plug into the 12V outlet if you need to charge faster in an emergency.

I'm beginning to get skeptical about the Nomad charger...multiple push backs and delays, and their last email says they're all built in China and expecting them to arrive and be shipped out today? So am I to believe no QA on the first run units from China? I suspect either the email was a lie...or there's a good chance there's going to be a lot of unhappy customers.

I'm beginning to get skeptical about the Nomad charger...multiple push backs and delays, and their last email says they're all built in China and expecting them to arrive and be shipped out today? So am I to believe no QA on the first run units from China? I suspect either the email was a lie...or there's a good chance there's going to be a lot of unhappy customers.

Did any one get theres shipped on Friday? I'd think they'd make some announcement one way or the other.

I didn't receive any notification of them being shipped yet. They've been good with sending out status e-mails, so hopefully we will get another one today. I have a feeling it is more likely to be a delay email though, rather than a shipped email.

They were supposed to be sent out on Friday though...silence since then.

Not sure why pay $99 for a wireless charger, basically it is a nice pad (30 USD level, consider the fit and small sales volume issues)+ dual wireless charger (30 USD level), surely 60 USD would be a reasonable price, I go for TAPTES model 3 wireless charger now $49.9, but also need to pre order official price 59.9 USD, link: Wireless Phone Charger / Pad for Tesla Model 3

Do you work for TAPTES?

Are you really located in the U.S.? Why would you put "USD" If you are in the U.S.? and only have 1 digit for cents?

Reactions: sbtz and Geo77
Are you really located in the U.S.? Why would you put "USD" If you are in the U.S.? and only have 1 digit for cents?
If you follow the link, you'll see that they openly state that they are shipping from Hong Kong. Nothing wrong with that IMO.

I agree that the current pads are too expensive for what they are, but I'm sure there will be plenty of choices and lower prices within the next few months if you're not in a hurry ...

Has anyone received their Nomad? Chloe from customer service told me that mine would ship out the 17th...never did. Now their website says the 26th. I'm very close to just cancelling and purchasing the Evanex one. Doesn't look as slick...but at least i know they exist and work.

If you follow the link, you'll see that they openly state that they are shipping from Hong Kong. Nothing wrong with that IMO.

I agree that the current pads are too expensive for what they are, but I'm sure there will be plenty of choices and lower prices within the next few months if you're not in a hurry ...

I saw they are in HK and am ok with that. I also do feel both Jeda and Nomad are overpriced (although didn't stop me from ordering one).

My issue is if @Dave Lee does work for them, he should say so and his profile says he is in the U.S. which doesn't seem likely by his writing (unless he moved here last week).

I saw they are in HK and am ok with that. I also do feel both Jeda and Nomad are overpriced (although didn't stop me from ordering one).

My issue is if @Dave Lee does work for them, he should say so and his profile says he is in the U.S. which doesn't seem likely by his writing (unless he moved here last week).
True. If he does indeed work for the company he should register as a vendor. I'd sure be interested in hearing more about the product from the people who make it.

Reactions: TT97
I received my Nomad. Customer service was excellent. Received within 24 hours of them shipping. Packaging is really nice and the charging pad is really well finished. Now if Tesla would finish up with the warranty work, I could install it :(

hmmm...that taptes one looks pretty good and price is low. I'm curious to see reviews on it.

Last edited: