Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wish my Tesla was not lazy - not waking up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same problem here. It's completely random too. It'll wake up from opening the app, then I'll open the app 5 minutes later and it won't wake up. It'll wake up 1.2 miles away on hike, won't wake up 200' away as I walk towards it. I'm with you. But I don't have the solution either. Following......

First, it takes some time to wake up when in deep sleep

But mostly it's the cellular connection that it has.
I’ve noticed that’s not the case. The phone key has never been 100% reliable. It’s software related rather than signal reception. It was especially bad after 5.15. Now I’m on 8.5 and it’s even worse, at least for me. Today I successfully unlocked my car just once (when I went out for lunch), out of 3 times. I have an iPhone XR. I can also confirm that everywhere I park has a good cellular reception. I guess that’s something we’ll have to live with.

I had a problem waking up my Model 3 almost every morning using the app. I figure it goes into deep sleep overnight. So in the car, I scheduled a charge to start at 7:30 am each morning, which wakes up the car but doesn’t require much of a charge. Then, when I want to preheat at 8 am, the car wakes up using the app fairly quickly.

The alternative was asking my wife to open and close the door on her way out each morning, which also worked, but was less convenient.

Reactions: DeadHead616
5.15 and beyond seems to make the vehicle connection error and the phone key worse. Even with sentry mode turned on, I could only connect to my car about half of the time. I though if sentry mode is on, the car is not really in deep sleep.

I'm pretty sure the problem lies within the car. Mine (LR AWD) almost never wakes after about 45' rest. It cannot be awoken by phone or the Tesla service center application.
The car was at the Tesla Service Center for a week and they said it was a bug in the firmware. The issue number is 561823. A software update is supposed to fix the problem. Subsequent software updates (I'm now on 2019.12.1.2) did not fix the problem.

As a workaround I have used Homeassistant, with the Tesla component (Tesla) and set the scan_interval to 1800 (seconds). This will effectively wake up the car every 30' circumventing deep sleep. Works fine so far. This might some drain, but I'll take that loss.

Anyway, hope this is useful to some. Maybe if we all complain the bug will get fixed.

This brings up s good point, do you all bring the key card with you as backup?
Yes. However, I will now train myself to use the key card as the primary, and stop counting on the app. I feel foolish standing beside the car waving the phone, loading, reloading the app, on/off airplane mode - its very inconsistent. I went all last week with it working well, to this week not - ugh.

I have an IPhone X. My car has never once failed to unlock instantly as I walk up to the door using my IPhone to unlock. Weird. I wonder how much of the problem is on the car side versus the phone side.
My situation is exactly like yours OCR. iPhone X. I open the Tesla app on my phone to wake my car on the way to the garage and it has worked 100% of the time. It also works if I don’t open the app and just approach my car.

Last edited by a moderator:
it doesn't wake up quickly every time I want it to.
How can I make it wake up like a good Doberman every time?
Mine wouldn't wake up on either my wife's or my iPhone. I moved next to the car and it still didn't. I entered the car and the car's panel showed a slash through the signal strength wifi icon. After 5 ot 10 seconds it change to 3 of 4 radial arcs and my phone updated. It looks to me like the Tesla (brand new model 3) software is asleep.