Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

With the performanc price reduction should I cancel my order and re-order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a P3+ that’s set for delivery on November 12. As a result of the end of 3rd qtr rush, delivery was postponed once and the VIN replaced. Now that the performance version price has been reduced and FSD is no longer an option. I could save $7,000 by cancelling delivery and reodering the same configuration, sans FSD, which was a $3K option when I place the original order.

Interested in advice about the pros and cons of cancelling the current delivery and re-ordering. If I do such will I forfeit my original $1k deposit and the $2,500 order pre-payment?

What color this time? Maybe they would shift the deposit and $2500 to an inventory car? Hearing there's extras.

I still think Red is the safest color out there. Everything else blends in to the background when they see cars coming down the road.
I've noticed fewer people pulling out in front of me in my Red.

What color this time? Maybe they would shift the deposit and $2500 to an inventory car? Hearing there's extras.

I still think Red is the safest color out there. Everything else blends in to the background when they see cars coming down the road.
I've noticed fewer people pulling out in front of me in my Red.

MC Red so I can have a twin for my Model S:)

• Love
Reactions: Akikiki
You should get the $5K adjustment. They are doing it retroactively, but I’d still keep FSD as it guarantees a free hardware upgrade down the road. I have it on my new 3 (and year old X) and it’s not disappeared (yet :D).

I thought Tesla said that they will automatically adjust the price for any orders in process. So you are already going to save $5k.

Thanks. Should I see this on my order summary ahead of time or ask for it when I pick up the car on the 12th?

You can remember when they sent us a link to the electronic copy of our paperwork. I don't know if they still do that, but maybe.
Considering the difference in price that you are expecting to see, I would query my D.S. and confirm ahead of time. No good reason not to ask them to check so they don't miss reducing the price. I've been a a couple of friends deliveries in the past few months. I've seen incidents where the owner delayed the delivery because of paperwork and Tesla scrabbling to correct paperwork to accommodate the delivery. Both are semi-chaotic. I'd try to get out in front of it and confirm the final price now or at least before the delivery day to make sure its not overlooked by Tesla.

You can remember when they sent us a link to the electronic copy of our paperwork. I don't know if they still do that, but maybe.
Considering the difference in price that you are expecting to see, I would query my D.S. and confirm ahead of time. No good reason not to ask them to check so they don't miss reducing the price. I've been a a couple of friends deliveries in the past few months. I've seen incidents where the owner delayed the delivery because of paperwork and Tesla scrabbling to correct paperwork to accommodate the delivery. Both are semi-chaotic. I'd try to get out in front of it and confirm the final price now or at least before the delivery day to make sure its not overlooked by Tesla.

Thanks Steve. I've already contacted my D.S. about this and will also contact the delivery manager at my service center. Here's my D.S.'s response:

"The process is still very new but I believe you will be offered your choice of a $5,000 refund or a $5,000 supercharging credit. They may even take the price off at delivery."

Glamisduner, I think you are right about cancelling will cause someone to lose their $2500. In Dec '16, I ordered a 90D S. in Jan '17 they replaced the 90D with a 100D. When I tried transfer my deposit to a 100D, My store assistant mgr said I would lose the $2500. I considered it anyway. But that was also the first time they said no more Unlimited Supercharging, and started that $400 credit. Between losing the $2500 deposit and not free supercharging, I cancelled my cancellation (not really, just didn't proceed with the cancellation.) We all know they change their tune and didn't stop the Unlimited Supercharging then, but didn't know at the time they were going to do that.
However, I was confident I'd lose the $2500 and that was enough to stop me.

Reactions: Glamisduner
Glamisduner, I think you are right about cancelling will cause someone to lose their $2500. In Dec '16, I ordered a 90D S. in Jan '17 they replaced the 90D with a 100D. When I tried transfer my deposit to a 100D, My store assistant mgr said I would lose the $2500. I considered it anyway. But that was also the first time they said no more Unlimited Supercharging, and started that $400 credit. Between losing the $2500 deposit and not free supercharging, I cancelled my cancellation (not really, just didn't proceed with the cancellation.) We all know they change their tune and didn't stop the Unlimited Supercharging then, but didn't know at the time they were going to do that.
However, I was confident I'd lose the $2500 and that was enough to stop me.
There is also the backdoor update if they took your edit button away, not sure what will happen if you use it though!

Reactions: Akikiki
@artsci. Done just about every mod possible to your S that you can, huh? Time to start on a new project car, huh? Sounds like a lot of fun. All those people (here) that are going to benefit from your wisdom, experience and expertise. wow.

To be sure I have a few mods in mind for the 3, but I think based on what i’ve seen so far Model 3 owners are a pretty creative bunch.

You sir are too humble. Things you have done for us on the Model S -well its an understatement to even say this, but they are AMAZING.
You folks reading my thread here, should move up to artsci's comment above (#13) and select the link to his mods in his signature. Those of us that think the Model S is already wonderful will gain an entire new viewpoint on what's possible with a Model S.

Thanks Steve. I've already contacted my D.S. about this and will also contact the delivery manager at my service center. Here's my D.S.'s response:

"The process is still very new but I believe you will be offered your choice of a $5,000 refund or a $5,000 supercharging credit. They may even take the price off at delivery."
Not sure about this. Elon talked about the $5K or no free supercharging. If you were never eligible for supercharging, I don’t know about applying that to charging, as technically that’s the same as paying you. I’d take the money. :D

Free supercharging forever is a different animal and a different decision, of course, based on your travel patterns. Still a lot of charging.