Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

With touchscreen freezing, why would I buy FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MY delivered to our home on 2/9/21. All was good on outside inspection. Was required to accept delivery, then given access to vehicle via iPhone Tesla account. Soon learned that touchscreen repeatedly froze every time we used the car. Immediately made appointment with local SC, earliest was 2/19, and response was tepid. Tried another SC a few days later because we were getting close to putting 100 miles on car, and got appointment next day. Tech team was very responsive, but said factory firmware (2020.47.101.1) would be updated soon and in all likelihood fix the freeze. They installed HomeLink which I purchased, which works fine when the screen isn’t frozen.
So here’s my question. I really like this car. I was planning to buy FSD for it. Now I’m hesitating because if the system isn’t currently operating as it was intended, why should I run the risk of buying FSD?

I really like this car. I was planning to buy FSD for it. Now I’m hesitating because if the system isn’t currently operating as it was intended, why should I run the risk of buying FSD?

First, Welcome to Tesla!
Second, Woe be to all who enter here.
Third...
Yeah, so you can see that service centers are a little 'hit or miss'. Tesla's service centers vary state to state and even within cities. My experience is to shop around... and shoot, if its a routine car fix (e.g. tires, windshield washing fluid, minor bodywork), you are normally better served by going to a non-Tesla service. Their service department is literally the worst I have experienced, among auto manufacturer/dealers, in terms of treating the customer like a customer.

FSD is an area where slipshod work, and lackadaisical software updates -- in my book -- don't cut it. Some shortcomings in Tesla's software processes:
  1. Their manual(s) does not conform (even with the 'update' briefings in center console), to the software installed in the car.
  2. Tesla never explains the purpose and improvements in their software updates, prior to the update -- so you are left guessing, if it actually is beneficial before you install it.
  3. Some updates remove functionality.
  4. From time to time, the User Experience (UX) is diminished -- e.g., marked reduction in font size and contrast.
  5. Elon Musk is known for outlandish claims.
  6. Elon Musk is known to deliver on promises years after his initial deadline (Elon Time™).
  7. Given the above, its unlikely that Tesla will be particularly transparent about FSD safety record once it is 'out of beta'.
  8. Sloppiness in hardware designs makes the foundational architecture brittle -- and it is unknown if poor hardware design practices are being purged from the Tesla methods. See the lengthy discussions in TMC about the eMMC debacle.
Its better to let the insurance industry sort out whether FSD is a risk reducer or a risk enhancer. Sadly, this will take years of insurance claims to validate which of these cases it is.

I'm sure the touchscreen issue will be fixed in short order by a software update or by a service center if you stay on them.

Unless you travel on the expressways extensively I don't can't imagine FSD being worth it. The more I research the less impressed I am with the technology to this point. I don't even use auto pilot (phantom braking is awful!) and if they can't get a basic auto pilot figured out I can't imagine how buggy the FSD is going to continue to be.

Very much interested to know what the problem and solution is!

I have a service appt on Monday AM for this and a fe other things. The Service dude called and bumped me up as I've been having more and more problems. I got he 2021.4.12 update last night and the issues have persisted... My screen went completely blank at the end of my drive today so it appears to be getting worse.

I thought I was resetting it properly but apparently not. He told me to to remove the thumb drive from the glove box and hold down the scroll wheels while in park and continue holding them down until the Tesla logo appears. He said to get out and let it sit for 5 minutes or so then see if the issues are still there. We'll see if that helps.

I have a service appt on Monday AM for this and a fe other things. The Service dude called and bumped me up as I've been having more and more problems. I got he 2021.4.12 update last night and the issues have persisted... My screen went completely blank at the end of my drive today so it appears to be getting worse.

I thought I was resetting it properly but apparently not. He told me to to remove the thumb drive from the glove box and hold down the scroll wheels while in park and continue holding them down until the Tesla logo appears. He said to get out and let it sit for 5 minutes or so then see if the issues are still there. We'll see if that helps.
The fact that it persisted after an update, which restarts the vehicle highly implies a hardware issue.
That's seriously unfortunate.

It seems concerning that two of you are hitting the same issue.

Jeez. What a terrible experience to have the screen went blank completely! Good thing it was at the end of your drive.

At this point, I don't think it's a software problem anymore. The screen was unresponsive to touch but voice and phone control still worked. Plus, when I shifted gears and did other stuff, the screen still showed what went on.

The Mobile Service dude texted me back today and asked for "an exact date and time of when "screen froze and blinking while on nightmare" and that without "an exact date and time of the issue occurring", my appointment may be cancelled...... uhm... huh? Giving them the benefit of the doubt, they may just need the info to run diagnosis. But they way they said it sounds like they're accusing me of making things up!

Luckily, I saw your suggestions and recorded several incidents to keep them as proof.

Image-2.GIF

Hey Cris, my Model Y I picked up has the exact same issue.
The screen updates and I can use voice control, however the touchscreen is unresponsive. I've noticed this when entering the vehicle after 24 hours.

I also noticed if you reboot the MCU using the two finger scroll wheel hold trick that the touchscreen doesn't work for 3-5 minutes after the vehicle is back on. I noticed if I unplug the charger, reboot the MCU, and wait 2-3 minutes it comes back online.

Have you noticed anything as well that seems to reproduce the problem?
Generally when the issue reproduces my screen flickers black.

I'm starting to think this is a software problem, if it were hardware that would mean they shipped a ton of defective touch screens, which I doubt.

My Car Version: 2020.47.104

Hey Cris, my Model Y I picked up has the exact same issue.
The screen updates and I can use voice control, however the touchscreen is unresponsive. I've noticed this when entering the vehicle after 24 hours.

I also noticed if you reboot the MCU using the two finger scroll wheel hold trick that the touchscreen doesn't work for 3-5 minutes after the vehicle is back on. I noticed if I unplug the charger, reboot the MCU, and wait 2-3 minutes it comes back online.

Have you noticed anything as well that seems to reproduce the problem?
Generally when the issue reproduces my screen flickers black.

I'm starting to think this is a software problem, if it were hardware that would mean they shipped a ton of defective touch screens, which I doubt.

My Car Version: 2020.47.104
It’s petty much random. On Saturday morning, the car was completely dead when I entered it. Phone connection didnt work. Screen blacked out. Power trunk still worked. I unlocked/locked the car several times to see if it would turn on. Nothing at all. I thought the 12v battery was dead or something and was so ready to call Roadside assistant to tow it to the service center (can’t request another service in the app). But then I thought i may try to step on the break and see if it was still drivable. Just so that I can move the car out of the garage. Surprisingly, it was. I drove it out, plugged it in, and did the two buttons reset. Magic happened. Mobile app connected. Tesla logo came on. And the whole thing worked again. The screen was unresponsive for a few seconds and then worked fine.

I have service scheduled for tomorrow so let’s see how it is. Hopefully, they won’t keep it there too long since im out of town this weekend.

What a horrible way to start your Tesla experience. They’re delivering mine tomorrow morning. I’m a little concerned now. I’ll be interested to see if all your problems are related to one component or software.
The interesting thing is..... everything worked perfectly fine when we got the car. not until the next morning that things started to act up. Same software version by the way @oatman

Reactions: oatman
The interesting thing is..... everything worked perfectly fine when we got the car. not until the next morning that things started to act up. Same software version by the way @oatman
Yup, same here.

I really bet it's a bug in the Factory software.
Once our cars are updated to 2021, I'm sure the bug will go away.

I also think that maybe Tesla doesn't allow software updates if the car has a service appointment scheduled.

Last edited: