Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WLTP standards and what Tesla tells you

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The WLTP ranges provided by Tesla are optimistic, which is not really a problem. But according to Autocar car makers should show the details of all the cycles tested....

“The five WLTP cycles (low speed, medium speed, high speed, extra high speed and combined), which should be listed for every new car on sale, are intended for buyers to check against their most typical journeys.”

Has anyone ever come across the full breakdown of what range you should expect in the various driving cycles tested for Tesla?? Or are EVs treated as “special” and Tesla only needs to show what is effectively the maximum range out of all the conditions tested??

imho, the biggest issue of WLTP is that there is no EV specific version. It is carried out at a fixed temperature which is within the optimal working conditions of the battery. No part of the test makes any consideration for less optimal conditions, such as cooler or hotter conditions.

It is only good for one thing, to compare the range of other EV's at that temperature. iirc 23C

imho, the WLTP should be extended to at least include a winter/summer value and, imho, EV vehicle manufacturers should also be up front with other variations, such as speed and how that may impact range. A bit like MPG readings, 30, 70, combined etc or whatever they were/are.

Reactions: Kenners
The gross shortcomings in WLTP testing have been known for years - look at the ludicrous mpg figures WLTP testing gives for plug-in hybrids - few, if any, owners will get close to that sort of performance.

The EPA test seems to be a bit more realistic, but even that tends to be a bit optimistic. Best we can hope for is to read as many road test reviews as possible and try to reach some sort of estimate as to how any car might perform for our personal pattern of usage.

Pattern of usage is absolutely key. For example, during the time I was building this house, I was commuting 16 miles each way from our old house, most days. I was driving a Prius plug-in hybrid, with a real world EV range of only about 10 to 14 miles. I used to charge the car at both ends every day, so it was fully charged for each 16 mile trip. In summer that car returned around 160mpg (way better than the 135mpg official figure). In winter it returned around 110mpg. The average was around the official mpg figure, but this was solely down to my pattern of use being very well matched to getting the best from the car. Holiday trips used to give around 65mpg, way below the sort of figure I could get when commuting.

So both these replies suggest EV makers only have to present one number? And non other details?

All car manufacturers (doesn't matter what propulsion they use) must, by law, quote the official test data, which here is WLTP (in the USA it's EPA). Car manufacturers can choose to augment that with additional performance guide data, provided they word it carefully such that it doesn't fall foul of the various advertising rules.

In practice, few manufacturers bother to quote anything other than the official test data, plus, pretty much every manufacturer (and I very much doubt that Tesla are any different) "game" the test process to some degree, in order to get the most favourable result. "Gaming" the test process is allowed, to some degree, and consists of everything from making sure that test vehicles are as free running as possible (things like adjusting them carefully to reduce brake and bearing drag, making sure tyre pressures are absolutely spot on, wearing in the tyres to reduce rolling resistance, polishing the bodywork and making sure all panel fits are perfect to reduce drag, etc).

The problem is that virtually no one will ever be able to drive a car that is absolutely identical to the test car used, and in the same way as the test is conducted. As already mentioned, air temperature alone will change range/economy for all vehicles by about 9% over a 0°C to 25°C range (dry air, at sea level).

One of the biggest shortcomings in official testing, in my personal view, is that it takes little account of the extremes encountered in normal use. For example, a series of short (under 10 mile) trips made from a cold start each time, in very cold weather, might be a good way to highlight differences caused by cabin and battery heating efficiency (this is a seemingly big factor for EVs in general). I believe there is a good rationale for changing the WLTP test to include a standardised winter test as well as a standardised summer test. The test used at the moment is pretty much a summer test, as, AFAIK, it doesn't include testing after an overnight cold soak, to include the heater initial consumption, in fact the test car is allowed to be heated to a uniform temperature throughout, including the battery pack, before the test, I believe.

With conventional cars, where at least some of the winter range/economy hit is mitigated because heating comes from waste engine heat in part, the seasonal difference may have been seen as less significant. As more and more EVs become available I believe there is a very good case for a more representative test, so that new owners aren't so surprised at the loss of range seen in winter. This might also push manufacturers to do things like providing better insulation to their cars, plus more efficient heat pumps, or even adopt the original Prius system of using a vacuum flask to store coolant/heating fluid heat overnight for use when preheating the next morning.

So both these replies suggest EV makers only have to present one number? And non other details?

Correct. They have to display the single number from the same test. This allows people to compare one car with another but only for that one set of tests.

Obviously, vehicle manufacturers could offer up other values too such as expected real world figures, but unless everyone did it, no one is going to buy a car advertising a reduced range if everyone else is showing better figures.

When I bought my eBike, they had an interactive tool for estimating range based upon several factors. It was much more representative than the 'up to 50 mile range' statement so when I was down to 10% battery after 25 miles, it came as no concern.