Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Won a Car Show Award - Wheelin Walla Walla Weekend 2013 - Tips

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

walla2

Jul 15, 2012
So, I took my Black/Black P85 to a car show in Walla Walla where I live. The car was received very well even in what would be considered a very conservative part of the state. I took home best in class (new cars) over many very nice cars. Lost out best in show to a Rat Rod truck with some horns on it . . .

E7D_0687.jpg

I recommend for those wanting to do it:
1. Flyers: Print flyers and put them in the frunk. Mine were gone in no time so print a ton. Credit: SCW-Greg

Here's download links for half res JPGs...
Dropbox - Tesla-Model-S-car-show-poster-60k-v2.jpg P85 to 60
Dropbox - Tesla-Model-S-car-show-poster-v6.jpg (P85 to 85)
Dropbox - Tesla-Model-S-car-show-poster-P85k-v1.jpg (P85 only)

press ready PDFs...
Dropbox - Tesla-Model-S-car-show-poster-60k-v2_(PR).pdf (P85 to 60)
Dropbox - Tesla-Model-S-car-show-poster-v6_(PR).pdf (P85 to 85)
Dropbox - Tesla-Model-S-car-show-poster-P85k-v1_(PR).pdf (P85 only)

2. Poster: I like Todd's poster, but I would suggest making a simple one that says this:

Tesla Model S
All Electric Car
265-300 Mile Range Per Charge
0-60 in 5 seconds
Charges in 4-9 Hours @ 220 V
Free 1 Hour Superchargers Now Available
Prices Start in the $60K Range
Made in America

Tesla Model S
All Electric Car
0-60 in 3.9 Seconds
Charges in 4-9 Hours @ 220 V
Free 1 Hour Superchargers Now Available
Made in America

The other posters are just too much information for the passerby. The flyers handle the rest. Including the above will cover 90% of the questions asked or pondered.

3. I figured out a way to keep my daylight running lights on which attracts attention since it will be the only car with the lights on. Sit in the car and then press the brake. The DRL's will turn on. Open the door but don't close it fully (Crack it or leave it open slightly). The lights will stay on until the door is closed. I wouldn't walk away from the car in this state as it could likely be driven away.

4. I had one heckler that I managed well. He said I was burning more energy and making more CO2 than a gas car. I told him: I bought the car not to be green. I bought it, because it's a great car. He walked away. It's not exactly the truth but I think he was expecting a greenhouse debate. When he didn't get it, he walked away unable to argue his preplanned points with me. The people around me loved the answer and the obvious response it caused for the heckler.

5. It was fun. The car impresses everyone (nearly) and got a ton of attention even in a show full of about 80% classics and muscle cars.

Last edited:
Very cool--congrats!

\My edits:

Tesla Model S
All Electric Car
0-60 in 5 seconds <<<< 3.9 Seconds
Charges in 4-9 Hours @ 220 V <<<< Charges in 30 mins on Supercharger
Free 1 Hour Superchargers Now Available <<<< Free 'fuel' nationwide via Supercharger
Made in America

Prices start at $60k ?

On the range i understand Tesla stretching the reality a bit and mentioning 300 miles. People realize that is marketing-speak. But from owners they expect to learn actual real world experience which is 265 or less.

Your response to the heckler was great.

Also can you change the title from 'One' to 'Won' ?

On the range i understand Tesla stretching the reality a bit and mentioning 300 miles. People realize that is marketing-speak. But from owners they expect to learn actual real world experience which is 265 or less.

My real world range in the summer is 300 miles. However, in the winter it is 200.
In written flyers I just state the EPA range of 265, or state both winter and summer range.

Prices start at $60k ?

Your response to the heckler was great.

Also can you change the title from 'One' to 'Won' ?

Prices start in the $60K range brings in a different and broader market than the $120K people.

Range driving of 265 I explain is possible at reasonable speeds and conditions. I made a 250+ mile trip to Portland in the Spring driving normally (well 65ish) and had range to spare. 300 is the possible range at 55 on flat surfaces. Perhaps wording it as: 265 Miles Range with Normal Driving, 300 Miles Max Range.

I changed the title, but it won't let me fix the thread title. It originally said Went to a Car Show. I wanted to be more direct about the win but quickly typed one and didn't proof the thing. I hate it when I do that. Mods have been informed.

- - - Updated - - -

I got a trophy. Will add to the post someday.

Walla2, congrats on the award!!

Coincidentally I took my red P85 to a charity car show this past Sunday at a Hooters restaurant, and also won the second-place award; in my case it was the "Hooters Girl Choice" award for the car that the Hooters Girls liked the best. "Chick magnet" must be true. :)

Great tips for the show. I used the same poster you referenced, as well as a second one I made showing pics of the battery, motor, and chassis layout (since everyone wants to see those and there's no way to show them on the car), and found that fewer words and more pictures are definitely better.

Here's a link to my second poster if anyone wants to copy it (note that the images were cribbed from several sources online, so copyright restrictions would apply for non-personal use).
<http://db.tt/GcVf5Eek>

Next time I'll use your flyers and DRL tips as well. It's amazing how many people, even in a group of car enthusiasts, have still never even heard of Tesla!

Coincidentally I took my red P85 to a charity car show this past Sunday at a Hooters restaurant, and also won the second-place award; in my case it was the "Hooters Girl Choice" award for the car that the Hooters Girls liked the best. "Chick magnet" must be true. :)
How many Hooters employees fit in a Model S?

To simplify the question, let's assume you have the 3rd row seats.