Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Few pics install complete. Ignore the ghetto 'temporary-coverage-til-the-3dMaxpider-mats-arrive' floor mats.

20181029_233434.jpg 20181029_233326.jpg 20181029_233418.jpg

Reactions: R1Fast
Ended up going with a Di-Noc architectural wrap (grey ash).

Took a bit more patience due to thickness but cut pretty easily with heat. Also I struggled with the 3 sided corners til I realized the plastic end caps are removable. Removing those made it wayyy easier and also made the results nearly seamless on the back corners.

View attachment 348236 View attachment 348237

View attachment 348239

Looks really nice! I was looking at similar wood grain Dinocs from RM wraps and to get the grain long, you need to buy 6 foot lengths which are very expensive and sine the wraps are 4 foot wide, mostly wasted. Is that what you did or any other solution?

Reactions: Jimmy 1
Looks really nice! I was looking at similar wood grain Dinocs from RM wraps and to get the grain long, you need to buy 6 foot lengths which are very expensive and sine the wraps are 4 foot wide, mostly wasted. Is that what you did or any other solution?

Thanks to you both. Yeah I ran into the same issue. Luckily my wrap/tint guy is a 3m distributor and was able to get me a custom length. He wasn't thrilled about getting the material without doing the work but he let it slide. I paid him enough money already :)

FWIW you might want to email Rvinyl or RM and ask if they can cut you a 5ft piece. Although it's not on their website they'd be cutting from a larger roll most likely and might just help you out.

What do you guys mean the wood grain is problematic? That it protrudes from underneath the wraps and thus the wraps don't feel/look even to the surface?

That's correct. It'll heavily depend on your wrap color. I tried matte white from 3M and it was horrific when sitting in sunlight. You see the wood grain seep through when the car is at certain angles in the sun. I also tried white carbon fiber which did a better job but in the sun, you can still see some wood grain.

This could very from car to car? I'm not sure how consistent the wood gain texture is from one car to the next. It bothered me too much so I was very happy to be able to swap out the wood grain.

How did you swap out the wood grain if you don't mind me asking?

RPM Tesla sells the original white that Tesla produces. They have customers who trade in their white for wood or carbon fiber etc. So RPM Tesla takes the trade-in and resells them.

Its literally a 5 min swap. There's a youtube video on how to remove the wood dash - super easy. I was local so I had RPM Tesla do it. Looked super easy.

RPM Tesla his some new stuff now too - pretty cool options - check it out:

Model 3 Dashboards - Carbon Fiber, Alcantara, Piano Black, White - From $249

I was able to find another owner who wanted to trade their white dash for my wood dash. Took about 10 minutes to do the swap. Love the white dash with the black interior.

I had originally wrapped my wood dash with 3M 1080 White Carbon Fiber.

Finally had time to wash and clean the inside of my Model 3, here are photos of the stock white dash with the black interior. I also have the Pearl White paint which compliments it very nicely with the white seats standing out so much.

IMG_4792.jpg
IMG_4788.jpg
IMG_4791.jpg

Reactions: warrior15r
Wrapped mine in brushed black metallic. Looks good.... Matches the center console and the doors.

Attachments

• IMG_20190113_223316.jpg
    IMG_20190113_223316.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 1,097
  • IMG_20190113_222954.jpg
    IMG_20190113_222954.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 1,067
  • IMG_20190113_223055.jpg
    IMG_20190113_223055.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 1,067
For those of you that installed it. How's it holding up? I've had mine in for a couple months and I've started to notice a slight lift. What about you guys?

Attachments

• 1-27-2019 11-34-42 AM.png
    1-27-2019 11-34-42 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,017
  • 1-27-2019 11-34-52 AM.png
    1-27-2019 11-34-52 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,104
For those of you that installed it. How's it holding up? I've had mine in for a couple months and I've started to notice a slight lift. What about you guys?

No issues with corners or edges lifting or bubbles... seems to be holding as solid as day one. If you're still having problems with lifting, you may have too much stretching at the corners and/or debris or grease (fingerprint smudge) on the edges. When working with vinyl it's ok to stretch the material pretty much everywhere except corners/edges, which should have smallest amount of stretching/resistance possible. Not to mention dust or grease can aggravate the issue.

You can clean the area with a q-tip (sponge type if you have it) and a tack solution made of 50% IPA, 50% water and a a drop of baby shampoo. Apply enough pressure that it cleans the debris/grease without pulling at the adhesive. Let dry and then flatten down with a heat gun on low.

3m also makes a vinyl wrap adhesive if the above doesn't work... but it's kind of a pain to get off (if and when you decide to un/reinstall). I think it's called Primer94.