Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wood replacement not CF or alcantara

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone found a good looking replacement for the M3 wood trim which is not carbon fibre or alcantara?
Carbon fibre just looks naff to me (even more than obviously plastic wood) and doesn’t match anything else in the car. Alcantara does match but I don’t feel it’s the right place for a soft fabric.
I’ve looked around a lot but the only alternative I’ve found is stick on wrap material which I doubt will look like it belongs in a £60k car
There must be something out there?

Interesting question - I am definitely not keen on the wood effect either.

Not sure why you don’t think it’s the right place for alcantara but I had it fitted in August 2021 and it’s still in immaculate condition - whereas the phone charging area is starting to look a little bit used.

Upvote 0
What else would you be looking for?

There are multiple wood options available (yes real wood veneer):

Carbon - proper carbon rather than wrap:

Plastic trim - can be painted any colour you like:

A multitude of wrap options..
You could also have it flocked for that rice racer look if you so desire :D

You can have practically anything I can think of that has ever appeared in any car interior - and if there isn't something off the shelf so to speak I am sure any auto trimmer would be happy to do a leather, suede or whatever material to your bespoke requirements (for a cost of course).

Upvote 0
i would probably go for alcantara over CF due to glare.
I used Hills real carbon fibre (matte finish) and it just has a slight sheen, no glare in full sun. High quality and much nicer than old fashioned wood effect IMO (the area on the centre console where the key card is used has a nicely shaped cutout with thin velvet because CF would block the RFID signal.

Bundle Carbon

IMG_6036.jpg
IMG_6032.jpg

Upvote 0
As above, your obvious plastic wood is real wood, if that changes your opinion. If you like DIY, you could even change the appearance of it - e.g. this guy who sanded, stained and lacquered his to a darker finish...

Personally I like the wood and even added more :)...
MicrosoftTeams-image (2).jpg

...and I'm tempted to stain it myself, although currently I'm fine with the medium brown.

I'm not a fan of CF either, although if it's real CF and a matte/satin finish I think it looks OK, as the example in the post above.

I like alcantara but not so much on a dash and I think there's enough already in the 3.

Only other finish I think would look good is leather. I have an old BMW in which I replaced the wood on dash, doors and centre console with some super rare 'BMW Individual' leather versions which I think look ace even though it removes a contrasting material detail and just blends in with the leather around it...

Old wood...
rqIjWwW.jpg

Mooooore leather...
WlYkjii.jpg

I don't know of any companies offering leather replacement dash/door trims, but any good car upholstery place ought to be able to cover them.

Upvote 0
As all this stuff is made in China I struugle to understand why anyone would play £100+ more for the same thing, OK, there is the delivery issue (distance / time / potential damage on route but £100+ !!

My entire car was made in China, so I don't really mind if some of the aftermarket tweaks and accessories are too. :) Don't really see your point.

Reactions: M00cow
Upvote 0
My entire car was made in China, so I don't really mind if some of the aftermarket tweaks and accessories are too. :) Don't really see your point.
Not sure that was the point being made. The aftermarket parts being linked to here are all made in China - better to purchased from someone in China for £20 rather than spending £60 to £200 from a US/UK website that is making huge margins.

Reactions: LiamPope
Upvote 0
Not sure that was the point being made. The aftermarket parts being linked to here are all made in China - better to purchased from someone in China for £20 rather than spending £60 to £200 from a US/UK website that is making huge margins.

Well I did say I didn't see his point! But I do know - you're right. Thanks!

It's a fair point too, but really depends for me. Sometimes I'm willing to get stuff from a reputable seller that stands behind their resold Chinese junk with some customer service. Other times I'll just go direct - for example I heard Hansshow customer service isn't anything great, so I'm about to go ahead and get 'their' mini driver display straight from Ali Express for half the price. Not all of this is Chinese junk though - there's good quality products out there. The real wood veneer centre console trim I got from RPM Tesla is a great quality product and I felt well worth the price I paid even with shipping from USA to Norway.

Upvote 0