TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Woohoo! First problem! Car sees snowflakes as obstructions and screams STOP.

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by disagree, Dec 10, 2016.

1. disagree

disagree hos epi to polu

#1 disagree, Dec 10, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
    Just returned from a quick jaunt to pickup a package during day 2 of ownership. It was snowing and my car kept telling me to stop because it was sensing something dead center in front. But there wasn't anything.

Also it would occasionally tell me Parking Assist Disabled.

Is this a common issue with the cars' sensors in the snow? Or is this an AP 2.0 yet to be worked out kink? Or are my sensors defective? Etc. etc.

Thoughts?

2. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Member

Was there snow or ice buildup on the bumper that confused sensors? We had freezing rain and my whole car was coated in semi-translucent ice at end of a 20 minute drive last night.

3. NovemberXray

NovemberXray Member

Yeah, I have seen this but only with snow/ice covering the sensors, not from fallig snow.

4. lunitiks

lunitiks ˭ ˭ ʽʽʽʽʽʽʽʽʽ ʭ ʼʼʼʼʼʼʼʼʼ ˭ ˭

This must be your ultrasonics. Strange that their 'that' sensitive. Your car has the latest SW, with side collition warning?

On my (AP1.0)-car, I get the same warnings/messages when my ultrasonics are packed with snow/ice buildup

5. disagree

disagree hos epi to polu

Thanks for the replies!

Snowing again today, but nothing weird from the car. I wonder if indeed some slush hit it perfectly wrongly last night.

It is AP 2.0, but I do not have the latest update yet. (Is there a trick to getting these?)

Clearly, to investigate this further, I should just tell my wife that I need to drive my new car as much as possible today.

• Like x 2
  6. lunitiks

lunitiks ˭ ˭ ʽʽʽʽʽʽʽʽʽ ʭ ʼʼʼʼʼʼʼʼʼ ˭ ˭

Hehe, that would make perfect sense and she will of course understand

7. wallstguy

wallstguy Member

#7 wallstguy, Dec 11, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
    Just had this happen to my car as well. Not that much snow on my car, but stopped at a redlight with nothing on any side of me and my car is screaming stop. I'm AP 1.0 got it in August.

Earlier in the day wouldn't even let me use Cruise Control, let alone autopilot saying visibility is low for the radar.

Also keep getting the park assist is disabled message as well.

I thought this was just with my car and was about to send a video of this to Tesla to see if its faulty haha.

File_006.mov

8. number12

number12 Active Member

If 2.0 can not easily handle this I am not sure how updated software will be driverless.

• Like x 5
  9. roblab

roblab Active Member

Snow? What's snow? I guess I don't get up to Tahoe that often.