Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Work on lighting lift gate appliqué begins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to create confusion guys... every one of the "hand built" prototypes you've seen in videos DO have a "diffusion layer". This very first "board built" prototype DOES NOT have the diffusion layer, specifically so I could see the individual NeoPixels as I checked things out for final testing. It is amazingly difficult to detect one dead pixel behind the diffusion layer.

Should have said that on all the videos!!

Production units will have the diffusion layer. No worries. :)

We're now taking orders for the appliqué on the TMS classifieds. Only those on the original intent to buy list will qualify for the first 39 to be produced. To confirm I will email each buyer to ask for his or her TMC handle. This offer is good for 45 days. After that the appliqué will be open to all buyers. Again, here's the list:

NoMoGas
suprkar
swegman
FLDarren
Btrflyl8e
AMPUP
Zax123
kseitzberg
Shumdit
NJ Plugin
Jason
Aaron
kseitzberg
JPP
Denarius
DavidB
Brightonuk
Zextraterrestrial
Danal
Doug Darby
Jhall118
artsci
Lloyd
najeeb
delanman
Mackgoo
tomas
Paul Carter
AlMc
faughtz
RavynArcadia
rogbmw
MikeBur
Ira
WeazL
agw
Efren Bolisay
kaneda
skyte

Last edited:
You even progressively light pixels within an actual letter for the knight rider effect eh?

Yes. There is a 3x3 array behind each letter. Well, really behind the E and the S. T gets 5, L gets 5, and A gets 8. So, yes, all scrolling is progressive across the 3 'columns' per letter.

By the way, I could animate the whole display, or a given letter, one 'row' at a time as well. Bottom up or top down Just can't figure out what to do with that... Suggestions? The window for software updates is VERY RAPIDLY closing... :)

Yes. There is a 3x3 array behind each letter. Well, really behind the E and the S. T gets 5, L gets 5, and A gets 8. So, yes, all scrolling is progressive across the 3 'columns' per letter.

By the way, I could animate the whole display, or a given letter, one 'row' at a time as well. Bottom up or top down Just can't figure out what to do with that... Suggestions? The window for software updates is VERY RAPIDLY closing... :)
Too fun! Thanks for all the hard work and open door on the designs!

One thing popped into my head: homelink / detect garage door opening or closing: scrolling up for opening the garage door and scrolling down for closing the door (except when in reverse). :tongue:

YES!!

Part numbers or links? I'm so tired of looking things up... ;)

It's a 6418 LED bulb. I bought mine off amazon for $7. Some people have been complaining they've gotten shorter bulbs. One of mine was about a millimeter shorter than the other. I just added some aluminum foil to one of the ends and it's now snug.

BTW, ordered. Thanks to everyone for all the hard work on getting this produced.

I very much appreciate the change to allow full wiring installation, and then software control of the individual functions. Gives a lot more flexibility.
Would like to suggest an overall brightness control mode as well. I find with the lighted "T", it's nice to sometimes be a bit more subtle, and that's probably even more true with the applique.

I very much appreciate the change to allow full wiring installation, and then software control of the individual functions. Gives a lot more flexibility.
Would like to suggest an overall brightness control mode as well. I find with the lighted "T", it's nice to sometimes be a bit more subtle, and that's probably even more true with the applique.

+1. My only concern about appliqué is that the "permanent" functions may be too flashy (pardon the pun) in some situations, and would like the ability to dim or even turn off.

+1. My only concern about appliqué is that the "permanent" functions may be too flashy (pardon the pun) in some situations, and would like the ability to dim or even turn off.

Every input can be enabled or disabled via BT. Also, all the "flashing" ones can be enabled to flash, or steady (except turn signals, which "scroll" by their nature; they are either on or off).

Your choice.

- - - Updated - - -

Will the firmware be updatedable, like via USB or Bluetooth ?

Bluetooth no.

USB, the first 20 or so, definitely yes from a Windows* laptop via USB. This requires a small "FTDI" adapter that will ship in the first 20 units. After that, we will have to decide if this is standard or an extra cost feature.

* And maybe Apple OSX. Maybe.

Linux? The zip file will contain an Intel standard HEX file for the 368P processor. Figure it out from there. Hint: Optiboot.

An update for buyers. Each appliqué will ship with key installation parts including PosiTaps and PosiConectors, an inline fuse holder, a 5 amp fuse, and 10' lengths of 22 AWG and 20 AWG stranded hookup wire.

Nice touch! Thanks Rick!

- - - Updated - - -

USB, the first 20 or so, definitely yes from a Windows* laptop via USB. This requires a small "FTDI" adapter that will ship in the first 20 units. After that, we will have to decide if this is standard or an extra cost feature.

FWIW, I'd pay extra to have this just from a future-proofing perspective. I'm sure there will be plenty of great ideas that no one has thought of yet.