Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Working MyQ solution?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been looking around for a currently working solution, but so far all of the solutions I've found no longer work. I opted to not get the homelink module because I already have 3 MyQ openers that I use the app for. I also have a physical opener but I really don't like sticking it somewhere or using the visor. I also would prefer to leave the phone in the charger and just use a hands free method to open or close the garage door.

Do I need to have additional equipment to do this other than the MyQ enabled openers? I can't seem to get these connected to HomeKit, nor can I seem to get any sort of shortcut/automation to work. Looks like the ability to open wifi openers is still "coming soon".

***Note*** I understand I have a few completely viable workarounds, they're just cumbersome and inconvenient. The closest integration I've seen is the Eve app integration for about $4/mo. Is that really the only reliable alternative to Homelink?

As far as I can recall the only way to get MyQ to work on the screen is with the EVE App. But I have chosen not to. I have put my clicker behind the screen (lower edge centered) with a bit of velcro. The app to me is not worth the cash.

As far as I can recall the only way to get MyQ to work on the screen is with the EVE App. But I have chosen not to. I have put my clicker behind the screen (lower edge centered) with a bit of velcro. The app to me is not worth the cash.

Sadly it seems that this looks like the best option... I have the clicker in my console, but I just can't believe this is the best way in a car with so much tech lol.

I agree, but if your clicker is small enough just try some velco backed tape and put it on the back of the screen. Then when you need it you can just reach behind and tap the button. Mine is out of sight from all. The velco tape cost me a couple of bucks and I have extras now.

Reactions: DocHolliday
Sadly it seems that this looks like the best option... I have the clicker in my console, but I just can't believe this is the best way in a car with so much tech lol.
This is partially because all of the software companies involved are trying to monetize by monthly subscription. MyQ charges $1/month to the consumer for third party API access. They also allegedly charge licensing fees to the third party companies also (which EVE may be paying for). Those companies also need money to pay for ongoing expenses even if they were not charged a licensing fee.

Things would be much easier if MyQ offered a local network feature that the Tesla browser (or other home automation hubs) can just access, but that would make it so they can't charge the fees mentioned above.

For your particular home automation system (Apple Homekit) it seems they are discontinuing it:
Chamberlain discontinues its HomeKit hub for myQ garage door controllers
I'm guessing the same licensing issues fell through because not much people were using it.

The only way to really avoid licensing problems is a clicker or garage door actuator that works completely offline that can be connected to your home automation system.
Maybe something like the below (no experience, just something I found quickly with googling)?
Amazon.com

Personally I kind of thought to do a DIY solution with a small local webserver that actuates a clicker perhaps with a remote controlled button clicker, but it's just easier to use the garage clicker I already have directly, or use the myQ app.
Amazon.com

For Siri interaction with myQ app however, there are some ways people have used that involves shortcuts, but not sure if they still work:

Last edited:
I have Myq working with my Homeassistant server with no monthly fees. Only problem is I cant get the Homeassistant webpage to open on the tesla browser while on my home's wifi. I did get the 30-day trial of nabucasa and was able to bring the homeassistant page up via that in the tesla browser with no issue and was able to open and close the door that way. I like it since myq is aware of being open or closed so you can't open when opened and actually close it instead.

I which tesla would migrate to installing direct myq support in the car software so you don't have to use homeassistant or eve!

Since I don't want to pay monthly for eve or nabucasa and can't get homeassistant to work on browser while on wifi I'm just going to upgrade to the homelink module!

I have the same problem. I have to use the remote to close the door.
tired again today and unlinked and relinked it still same issue, works fine thru my iPhone myQ app not sure why it says unavailable as soon as it opens

I have the myQ hub with the door sensor attached to my non connected garage door. So wonder if that is the issue VS those with lift master garage door opener with the myQ built in?

Attachments

• B112E35E-9718-4AC6-87A5-3DA6BB032ACA.jpeg
    B112E35E-9718-4AC6-87A5-3DA6BB032ACA.jpeg
    553.3 KB · Views: 221
  • 42FB605B-7154-4D3D-94D6-EBBCA17E89F2.jpeg
    42FB605B-7154-4D3D-94D6-EBBCA17E89F2.jpeg
    558.8 KB · Views: 69
I was worried they would charge huge subscription fees and the fears were justified.
Just got 2022.44.25.2 last night and MyQ integration showed up. Didn't follow this thread and just saw that there are subscription fees. I have homelink so this is quite unnecessary. I can pick up my phone if I need to open the garage from a distance. Which I've never had to do anyways. Just seems better to buy the homelink if you have to pay anyways.

Reactions: HTTP401