Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

worst fears - need comfort

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm 32 and I had 3 brand new cars before the my MS (delivered in September), one Audi and 2 Porsches. The Audi had an engine replacement at 15000km, the Porsche Boxter had an exhaust problem that left me on foot on the highway during the first year and the Panamera had a steer problem also on the first year and had to spent 2 weeks in the repair shop to be solved. So far my MS is winning with 0 problems at 15000km. I think because we are more aware of Tesla issues we tend to complain more, but this happens with every car on every brand. My only concern is that my closest Tesla SC is 1800km away, so my heart beats faster everytime I see some problem on this forum that my car may have (like those AC units not working because of a software update!!)

I consider a Tesla to be an IT project. For IT contracts that I have seen where service levels are negotiated there are three accepted factors... Hardware breaks, Software has bugs and People make mistakes. Service levels for automobiles have historically been accepted as low to the point where Lemon Law replacement or compensation kicks in.

I accept that there will be problems with HW, SW and People and that Tesla will fix the problem promptly. The only piece missing is a remedy mechanism where Tesla pays for missed service levels causing damages but that's probably for another generation of personal transportation in the future.

Mixing IT and the Automotive sector into a product still needs some sorting but I am a supporter and can live with the current state.

I'm 32 and I had 3 brand new cars before the my MS (delivered in September), one Audi and 2 Porsches. The Audi had an engine replacement at 15000km, the Porsche Boxter had an exhaust problem that left me on foot on the highway during the first year and the Panamera had a steer problem also on the first year and had to spent 2 weeks in the repair shop to be solved. So far my MS is winning with 0 problems at 15000km. I think because we are more aware of Tesla issues we tend to complain more, but this happens with every car on every brand. My only concern is that my closest Tesla SC is 1800km away, so my heart beats faster everytime I see some problem on this forum that my car may have (like those AC units not working because of a software update!!)

Although I've been fortunate so far to not encounter any problems that left me walking, I've also had plenty of nagging problems in my experience with new vehicles from BMW (throughout the ownership) and Cadillac (mostly in the first year).

Tesla is unique in that the brand seems to draw a lot of first-time buyers of premium vehicles who seem to expect that just because it's their most expensive vehicle purchase, it should be significantly more reliable than the mainstream brands they are used to. That isn't the case with most manufacturers. Lower-volume vehicles tend to have more problems regardless of price.

The other factor is that the Model S is really the first vehicle engineered by Tesla. There are likely design-for-manufacturability issues Tesla had to learn through mistakes. While initial quality certainly has gone up from the early days, not all of this is going to get sorted out until the car is completely redesigned. If anyone expects near-perfection from the very first vehicle designed by a new manufacturer, they are simply setting themselves up to be disappointed. I'm not being a fanboy. Just being realistic. In my experience, Tesla has been extremely courteous and responsive in correcting the issues that I've had and, to me, that's what really matters.

Last edited:
Hi all. My worst fear about this car is starting to come about. I took delivery of this car on 1/24/17. Now I'm starting to get some issues with the car.

1. folding mirrors are getting squeaky and the driver side doesn't fully extend all the way almost 100% of the time.
2. driver side passenger door is making a weird click noise every time it opens
3. every time when i plug in the cable to charge i always get this yellow light blinking and the dashboard is giving me a "charge cable unlatched" problems.

All this is showing before I even hit 700miles on this car. Should I be worried or is this something similar people go through with their cars.

SIGH

Very minor stuff and easily addressed.

1. Sounds like the mirror mechanism needs a bit of lubrication.
2. Are you sure that isn't the window lowering a bit (all the doors do this)?
3. That's likely a result of the cable not being fully plugged in (I get that now and then when I don't adequately push it into the charge port).

I just noticed this in my service summary: New S90D 2017

"Concern: Customer states: Front fascia has poor fitment.

Pay Type: Warranty

Corrections: Adjustment General Diagnosis

Adjust front fascia fitment, add NVH foam treatment to adjustment service to lower vibration during highway Speeds."

Any one know what this NVH foam is?

-Gagi

1. Sounds like the mirror mechanism needs a bit of lubrication.
2. Are you sure that isn't the window lowering a bit (all the doors do this)?
3. That's likely a result of the cable not being fully plugged in (I get that now and then when I don't adequately push it into the charge port).

So just got back from the service center. They gave me a loaner ICE.

1. According to the mechanic he said there was suppose to be a firmware fix for the folding mirrors. Something about that it doesn't open all the way because it detects something blocking it. But it does need lubrication.
2. They acknowledged that the door clicking noise is not normal and will fix it. Something wrong with the hinge.
3. They will take a look at the charging cable. They think it is something to do with the latch.

So far my first experience with the service center is a little bit of a mix feeling. The advisor was really nice but when it came to the point of meeting the mechanic he was trying to push everything off and made it seem like it was normal. I was telling him this is NOT normal. FIX IT! Kinda gave me this sour feeling at the type of service I was getting. Granted I do not have a P100DL, but you should still treat me MS75 with the same respect.

Well after rinsing off my car today I noticed the service center did an especially pour job of putting back the rubber covers on the left and right ultrasonic sensors in the inside wheel wells.

On one left (drivers) side the rubber was sitting over the clips not properly in place, on the right side one clip was broken and one was bent back and almost broken. The sensor and wire harness were totally exposed (1/2 inch gap), water has been getting in there for days.

I ended up re-working it and now they sit much better. I wonder if its worth another service center visit to get them replaced... o_O

Take it from a guy who has the worlds worst luck with cars.

My 2001 Jetta 2.0 - nervous breakdown dead at 40,000 miles.
Wife's 2001 Jetta VR6 - lost a cylinder at 100,000 miles. Sold it for $500 to the mechanic.
2006 F-150 - abs brakes would lock up - I assume it had abs and it just didn't work
2008 Ford F-250- engine wire harness, alternator, power steering pump, 2 radiators, exhaust sensor, air controller, Ac damper, lumbar seat control, 3 sets of folding mirrors, starter, 3 sets of batteries (take 2 batteries to start the engine) all covered under extended warranty, Ford paid out over $25,000 in repairs on that truck.
2016 GMC 2500 Denali - outside temp say 58 when it's 75. No resolution after multiple visits to the service center.
2015 BMW M3 - debris in brakes - flawed design by BMW wrote it all over my service paperwork. BMW corporate told me to deal with it basically. Came out with an updated part, didn't fix the problem. Had it towed 3 times to dealer for a free warranty repair. Got fed up and finally got rid of it.

I haven't even taken delivery of my P100D and the center console is broken and door trim misaligned.

The only car I've never had a problem with is my wife 2009 Prius which my family member now has with over 110,000 and not a single repair and her 2015 Audi Allroad runs like a champ.

Take it from a guy who has the worlds worst luck with cars.

My 2001 Jetta 2.0 - nervous breakdown dead at 40,000 miles.
Wife's 2001 Jetta VR6 - lost a cylinder at 100,000 miles. Sold it for $500 to the mechanic.
2006 F-150 - abs brakes would lock up - I assume it had abs and it just didn't work
2008 Ford F-250- engine wire harness, alternator, power steering pump, 2 radiators, exhaust sensor, air controller, Ac damper, lumbar seat control, 3 sets of folding mirrors, starter, 3 sets of batteries (take 2 batteries to start the engine) all covered under extended warranty, Ford paid out over $25,000 in repairs on that truck.
2016 GMC 2500 Denali - outside temp say 58 when it's 75. No resolution after multiple visits to the service center.
2015 BMW M3 - debris in brakes - flawed design by BMW wrote it all over my service paperwork. BMW corporate told me to deal with it basically. Came out with an updated part, didn't fix the problem. Had it towed 3 times to dealer for a free warranty repair. Got fed up and finally got rid of it.

I haven't even taken delivery of my P100D and the center console is broken and door trim misaligned.

The only car I've never had a problem with is my wife 2009 Prius which my family member now has with over 110,000 and not a single repair and her 2015 Audi Allroad runs like a champ.

Wow. The P100D is already damaged and you haven't received it yet?

Well after rinsing off my car today I noticed the service center did an especially pour job of putting back the rubber covers on the left and right ultrasonic sensors in the inside wheel wells.

On one left (drivers) side the rubber was sitting over the clips not properly in place, on the right side one clip was broken and one was bent back and almost broken. The sensor and wire harness were totally exposed (1/2 inch gap), water has been getting in there for days.

I ended up re-working it and now they sit much better. I wonder if its worth another service center visit to get them replaced... o_O

Hmm interesting. Makes me want to check on all the things when I get my car back. I would probably suggest get it serviced just in case that ultrasonic sensor is already damaged.

We still own a 2014 S85 and I have not noticed the same tracking issues on that car. Also the 2014 S85 air suspension seems to be firmer with no clunks as you go over speed bumps.

I too have experienced better highway tracking in normal steering mode rather than comfort.

Interesting. The 2014 we traded in seemed floaty: like the shocks (dampers) were not doing
their job at lower rates of suspension movements. High rate jounce (lumps
in pavement) were pretty noisy and rough. The 2017 is far better and much quieter.
I don't know how much is due to tire differences (both 19 inch wheels).

My week old 100D requires a quite hard and rapid insertion to avoid a yellow blinky light.
Takes me several tries. It's not enough to just push hard, it has to be
a fast and hard push, and pushing hard after it is in the connector accomplishes
nothing.
I'll call the Burlingame Service Center tomorrow.
I worry something will eventually break given the speed/force required.
Burlingame will take care of it.

I just received a 14-50 (the one with a
plug on the end, no adapters needed, it will stay in the garage
and plugged into the wall so the usual cable and adapters set stays
in the car just-in-case) and it requires the same overly hard insertion to
avoid the yellow blinky. So I know it's an issue in the car.

The 2014 Model S required a firm (but not hard or overly fast) insertion.

So far the charging cable insertion is
the only issue I can find to mention with the 100D. Nice.
Plus the ride and quiet are great, a
substantial improvement over the 2014 (and AutoPilot!).
The 100D a major upgrade over the 2014, IMO.
No more free supercharging for life though :)
Continued free destination charging at hotels :)

Interesting...I will check tomorrow to see if something is not pushed all the way

FWIW, I agree with Akikiki; let the Service Center know and they'll take care of it, satisfaction guaranteed. I bought a 2012 P85 with 48k miles off this forum last year and Tesla took care of EVERYTHING! No questions asked. Sure, I've taken the car in a lot more often than the Honda Accord I used to drive, but I'll never buy another Honda Accord and I can't imagine driving anything else,...except maybe a newer Model S, or a Model X, or one of the two Model 3s I have reserved.:)