Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worth an SC visit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As you can see, there is an ever so slight raise in the panel next to the head light. it is barely noticeable in person. Is this something I should take to the service center/will they fix it?

tempImage3GjWUn.jpg
tempImageJ71bqs.jpg

I wouldn’t especially if the left/right headlights look similar. They seem to have a lot of trouble lining up the headlights, fenders, frunk lid, and front bumper, both during production as well as after… in your case it looks like the headlight as well as the bumper could use some adjustment but this could introduce some other weird alignments.

Mine came with one headlight that was clearly too high; after two rounds of adjustment (once at the SC and once at a certified body shop for unrelated reasons) everything looks well-aligned at a glance but there’s a slight gap below each headlight that’s only visible if you’re about as close to the car as in your photos.

Mine also has a slightly misaligned frunk lid that I decided to not insist on fixing for the above reasons and my last 3 had one taillight segment sticking out by more than a few mm that they refused to fix; this looks like your car’s personal quirk ;)

ROFLMAO, Not really at you, but damn, that is good compared to all the others. Maybe they fixed it now, but frunk lids were all misaligned so bad that I could see in the pictures they were as bad as mine or worse. I took mine ot the service center, they fixed it a bit, it still isn't lined up like a cheap honda civic would be, but they said they couldn't do more or other parts would come out of alignment. Welcome to Tesla. And yes they would probably try to fix it, but I don't know if its really worth your time as likely they can't do anything.

Reactions: j310
As others have said, that's probably 'within spec', and if they try to fix it could mess up other things. My headlights are both just slightly unevenly gapped but not enough that you would notice from normal distance. I did ask them to try to make my charge port cover more flush (a little better) and my right taillight had too much gap at the top (much better). I have decided I can live with the fact it will never have the fit and finish of a BMW or MBZ. :)

I'll consider myself lucky then, thanks everyone!
I would schedule a service and I'll tell you why. I had an issue where the part of my passenger door that meets up with the drivers door stuck out a little, and I quickly started to develop little white chips on the leading edge since it protruded out past the bodyline of the car. With that protruding edge being on the very front, I can see that getting pretty chipped up very fast. Instead of gravel and rocks bouncing up your paint, it looks as though they would just straight up impact that corner next to your light. At the very least make an appointment, take pictures, and let them either fix or tell you it's within spec (which I doubt). If you get premature chipping and damage in that area, you can point to that service appointment and the pictures as evidence that you did attempt to have the problem rectified, and you weren't being one of those super anal "MAH PANEL GAPS" people. It's easier to have service fix a problem you brought to their attention right away, rather than let it sit and potentially cause more damage.

Edit: Here is a picture of the chipping that was occurring after owning the car for 3 months:

Attachments

• 20210308_092335.jpg
    20210308_092335.jpg
    654.8 KB · Views: 30
Last edited: