Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would AP 2.0 cars get the Dashcam feature?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought AP 2.0 and 2.5 were functionally similar for the most part with the exception of the processor module and the front radar but with the Dashcam feature being only limited to 2.5 at the moment, I was wondering if AP 2.0 will ever get the Dashcam feature on a future date.

Would the future CPU upgrade for to allow self driving bring both 2.0 and 2.5 cars to parity with functionality, including the Dashcam feature?

I'm not sure as I don't know where the bottleneck is.

AP 2.5 didn't add any GPU processing capabilities, or any video encoders that I know of. Generally one would use either a GPU or a specialized video encoder compress video.

So I don't know why AP 2.0 can't do it.

The mostly likely scenario is they decided to target AP 2.5, and get it working on that before rolling it out to AP2. As I understand it the feature was a last minute add on so they didn't exactly get to spend a lot of time with it.

It likely wasn't an easy task as the video has to be compressed, and then sent to MCU where it then gets stored.

If I was AP2 owner I wouldn't stress out about it too much unless it's missing in the next update.

AP 2.5 didn't add any GPU processing capabilities.

I believe the most significant difference between AP 2.0 and 2.5 is precisely the addition of a second Pascal GPU. Tesla said it was "for redundancy" at the time.

Makes sense in this scenario - using the "redundant" power for nonessential tasks like encoding dashcam video.

I would assume AP 2.0 cars could happily accomplish that task while parked, but not while driving. For that reason I highly doubt the feature will make its way to AP 2.0.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I believe the most significant difference between AP 2.0 and 2.5 is precisely the addition of a second Pascal GPU. Tesla said it was "for redundancy" at the time.

Makes sense in this scenario - using the "redundant" power for nonessential tasks like encoding dashcam video.

I would assume AP 2.0 cars could happily accomplish that task while parked, but not while driving. For that reason I highly doubt the feature will make its way to AP 2.0.

How about when the full self driving hardware update upgrades the CPU of both AP 2.0 and 2.5 cars? Would the processing capabilities between 2.0 and 2.5 be then the same?

Reactions: dbldwn02
If I was AP2 owner I wouldn't stress out about it too much unless it's missing in the next update.

Im stressing!!!! I don't know if l'll get it considering my car was originally ordered with AP 1 then I got the email with all the info on the AP 2 upgrade (that I got) but considering my car has EAP and FSDC I should get it, but like you said we who don't have it should be on the lookout for it in the next update... My 2016 P100 is already old and outdated.:( (I still love it though!!)

Im stressing!!!! I don't know if l'll get it considering my car was originally ordered with AP 1 then I got the email with all the info on the AP 2 upgrade (that I got) but considering my car has EAP and FSDC I should get it, but like you said we who don't have it should be on the lookout for it in the next update... My 2016 P100 is already old and outdated.:( (I still love it though!!)

You'll get it when you get the AP3 computer upgrade. I still maintain it's highly unlikely before that. This isn't a software thing.

I am also very curious to know what the exact hardware limitation was that lead to AP2.0 being left out of the fun. If my hardware can use artificial intelligence to detect cars and safely maneuver me through the freeway, you'd think it could spare a few CPU cycles to record low definition video to a slow USB stick at the very least.

Reactions: Hank42

I haven't seen any confirmation that AP2.5 has an second Pascal GPU.

From the Electrek article on it:

“The internal name HW 2.5 is an overstatement, and instead it should be called something more like HW 2.1. This hardware set has some added computing and wiring redundancy, which very slightly improves reliability, but it does not have an additional Pascal GPU.”

Tesla has a new Autopilot ‘2.5’ hardware suite with more computing power for autonomous driving

My take away it has more CPU computing, but I don't know if there is anything that helps dashcam functionality. I'm not saying there isn't, but so far I haven't heard a viable explanation.

It has a second Parker cpu. I suscept they are offloading the compression to it on the AP2.5 cars.

Just a quick clarification.

The Parker isn't a CPU, but a SoC (system on a chip).

The means that it can easily do compression as it has its own video encoder, and an integrated Pascal based GPU.

Maybe they ran into issues with using the video encoder on the primary Parker SoC or some bandwidth issue. So they had to use the second Parker SoC.

Introducing Parker, NVIDIA’s Newest SOC for Autonomous Vehicles | NVIDIA Blog

The part I find confusing is the Electrek article specially said it didn't have an additional Pascal GPU, and there is a Pascal GPU in the Parker SoC. Maybe they meant it didn't have an additional discrete GPU.

In any case I wonder if the following is correct:

AP2.0 -> 1x Tegra X2 (The Parker SoC), with a GP106 GPU (significantly more powerful than the integrated GPU) added as a MXM Module
AP 2.5 -> 2x Tegra X2, with a GP106 GPU on the same board.

Where I got some of the info:
Drive PX-series - Wikipedia
First look at Tesla’s latest Autopilot (2.5) computer in Model 3, S, and X vehicles

If that is correct then I would expect AP2.0 to get some limited dash cam functionality in the future (like when parked), but AP2.5's dash cam capability will likely always be superior in some aspect. Quite simply the added Parker SoC gives it the ability to do a task like a dash cam quite easily while the other Parker SoC, and the discrete GPU are doing the EAP tasks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pale_Rider
Maybe they will have some refurb AP2.5 boards available once they start upgrading the folks that purchased FSD to 3.0.

But, with all the "no fair" complaints countering the positive spin of adding new features to old cars... wonder how long they will continue to do it.