Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would message: "12v battery requires service" prevent car from sleeping?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As the title says, any idea if the above message would prevent the car from sleeping?

I just had an aftermarket stereo installed. They said they couldn't tap the penthouse because the car went crazy when they did (error messages) and wouldn't drive, so they ended up tapping the battery. And now I've got the above-noted battery message and the car won't sleep.

They said they checked the battery voltage and it's showing the same as another Model 3 they hooked their machine up to, so I've got no choice but to go through Tesla service. Just want to make sure there's isn't something else going on re: "no sleeping" before I do.

I've been reading about hooking up to the yellow wire (don't know where they tapped), but any recent/other tricks I could pass along? Everything else seems fine and they said they used transformers/resistors to prevent a surge (takes a few seconds to boot up, so makes sense).

Thanks!

...vampire drain...

That is a legitimate concern but if you can plug in your car, it is not a problem.

On the other hand, if you park your car in the airport for several weeks, then, of course, you want your car to go to sleep to conserve energy.

...whether the stereo equipment is hooked up properly (particularly given the 12v battery warning).

That is the priority.

Model 3 monitors all energy usage and if you plug your stereo directly to the battery which bypasses the energy usage monitor, your 12V battery can be damaged and needs replacement.

• Informative
Reactions: 9-Volt
Model 3 monitors all energy usage and if you plug your stereo directly to the battery which bypasses the energy usage monitor, your 12V battery can be damaged and needs replacement.

Ugh, it sounds like my battery is hooped, but will the same thing happen to its replacement? I don't think the shop did anything to the battery, except (it sounds like) run it down before hooking it up to a trickle charger (by having the doors open).

Where should the amps be powered from? I had given the shop the info from this thread, but they said it fired off even more error codes and wouldn't operate when they hooked it up to the penthouse.

Tesla Model 3 Stereo - Part 9: Summary and Lessons Learned

charging%2Bcircuit%2Bschematic.jpg

They also said they hooked up resistors, as per the thread linked above, and it still happened:

5034-16%2BArcol.9edd99426621f480bf49b219476e47bf.jpg

Thoughts on where else to hook up the stereo to?

...I had given the shop the info from this thread...

This is way above my pay grade. I can't help you with that installation method.

I guess the article's principle is instead of hooking directly to the 12V battery in front, you can go under your rear seat and get the 12V out from DC to DC converter from the 400V main battery.

I guess that way, your stereo drain the energy directly coming from the DC to DC converter from the 400V main battery.

I think in so doing, that circuit is still connecting to the front 12V battery which bypasses the energy drainage monitor which damages your 12V battery.

So maybe the author separates the 12V source from DC to DC converter into 2 different circuits:

1) for the front 12V battery
and
2) for your stereo.

That way, your stereo can drain all the energy it wants because it is not technically connected to the front 12V battery (on a different circuit).

And I think that is what missing from your audio shop: Separation of one 12V source into 2 independent 12V sources.

My thoughts:

1) For simplicity, I would just tap any 12V that the car monitors the energy usage: Cigarette lighter, OBDII port, current 12V lead to a built-in amplifier, 12V for lights...

The problem with that simplicity is maybe there are not enough Amperes from those sources.

2) Get a separate 12V battery for your stereo just like the old days for Tesla Roadster.

3) Get an X or S: They don't seem to catch up with the model 3 to implement a 12V energy calculation/monitoring system just yet. You can hook directly to their 12V batteries.

There may be something else going on. If the 12V battery is failing and that message comes up, the car won't update to a new firmware, but it slept fine when my 12V was failing. I think the rewiring for the stereo messed up the car sleep circuit.

Probably the wrong thread, but since I started it I may as well finish it. If anyone is getting the 12v requires service message due to working on (or having work done on) the 12v system (in my case, aftermarket amps), but your battery is otherwise holding a charge (two shops checked mine), you can follow this procedure to clear the "fault" code: Model 3 Manual: Disconnecting 12V and High Voltage Power.

May not be news for others, but it was for me.

PS: the car went to sleep with the error code showing (just confirming the earlier post). Now just waiting for the new firmware to show (again) as being available for download, as that went away when the code popped up (again, just confirm the earlier post).