Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would Tesla do the MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade on a Model S with a salvage title?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone here have a salvage title Model S and experience working with Tesla directly?

Like, will they do any kind of work on a salvage title or will they not even accept an appointment?
I just picked up a 2017 Model S with AP 2.5 MCU1 and at least want to upgrade to MCU2

I didn't even consider Tesla not working on my car simply because it's a salvage title, since I've purchased other manufacturers' salvage title vehicles and their service centers never had issues working on those vehicles. Then again, Tesla isn't anything like those either.

It wasn't until I read a couple of concerning posts that has me worried I may have made a big mistake buying it in the first place.
One of the main reasons I wanted this car was to go all the way with the FSD service very soon here for my commute.

I'm seeing mixed stories on that, as in yes they will, no they won't, yes they will but you have to pay for them to certify its safety 1st?
For now, I'm not sure what's what....

Any information would be most welcome. I will be calling them directly tomorrow though thought I'd post here as well.

Thank you so much, everyone!

I would avoid going anywhere near them like they have plague.

I just did the MCU upgrade and they "fixed Tesla's mistake" in how a battery was previously replaced, and removed 30% of my battery range while it was sitting in my driveway. This is NOT a salvage title car, but apparently the view is that they can remove anything they want at any time, and hold the feature for ransom - because I can get back the range that I have been driving on for months, if I pay them another $4500. THIS IS THEFT.

…to go all the way with the FSD service very soon here for my commute.

I'm seeing mixed stories on that, as in yes they will, no they won't, yes they will but you have to pay for them to certify its safety 1st?
For now, I'm not sure what's what....
Do you mean that you still need to purchase FSD? Or that you need to enable supercharging? Or both? Or that you need to install something else like CSS?
I just did the MCU upgrade and they "fixed Tesla's mistake" in how a battery was previously replaced, and removed 30% of my battery range while it was sitting in my driveway. This is NOT a salvage title car, but apparently the view is that they can remove anything they want at any time, and hold the feature for ransom - because I can get back the range that I have been driving on for months, if I pay them another $4500. THIS IS THEFT.
What battery did you previously have? And which one do you get in replacement?
…You might want to stick to MCU1 if you want to hack your salvage car, though.
Agreed.

What battery did you previously have? And which one do you get in replacement?

It happened before I bought the car, but it "had" a base model 60, and the service center installed a new revision 90 which I was driving around on for a couple months after buying the car. Then they "fixed their mistake" and locked it to 60, so I'm now carting around 50% extra battery weight for zero benefit and the range is being held for ransom.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I didn't even consider Tesla not working on my car simply because it's a salvage title, since I've purchased other manufacturers' salvage title vehicles and their service centers never had issues working on those vehicles. Then again, Tesla isn't anything like those either.
You should look at their official policy: Unsupported or Salvaged Vehicle Policy

They should be willing to do the Infotainment Upgrade, but do know that parts haven't been readily available, so it could take a while to get it.

I would avoid going anywhere near them like they have plague.

Uhhh.... Just like killing my DC charging after I had it, and used it, for a year and a half.................................?

It happened before I bought the car, but it "had" a base model 60, and the service center installed a new revision 90 which I was driving around on for a couple months after buying the car. Then they "fixed their mistake" and locked it to 60, so I'm now carting around 50% extra battery weight for zero benefit and the range is being held for ransom.
I thought they fixed your car along with some others?

Reactions: geordi
I thought they fixed your car along with some others?

Look at the dates of the posts - Yes they did fix it, the tweets and the news stories all happened AFTER that post up above that you quoted. That post was from July 23rd, my visit to 057 and his tweets were on the 25th and it was fixed on the 27th. They originally crippled my battery on the 15th.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Just my opinion, but thinking it is terrible they went out of their way to lower you to 60. I guess some people would say they were justified in giving you the same range as what you had, but if I am Tesla, I would make it a good will gesture to keep you at 90. After all, they installed a 90 so it isn't costing them anything to keep you at 90 and they are not gaining anything by moving you back to 60. I don't get it. I wouldn't call it theft since you have the same range as you did before, but it sure is a disgusting tactic.

Reactions: geordi
@TurboTimmy, There's very good advice here above. But Tesla doesn't generally want to see the title when you go in for service. If the car is under your Tesla.com account - why not try? What have you got to lose? If there's an issue, they will likely tell you before they start tearing it down. If it were me, I'd submit a service ticket for the upgrade, wait on notice from them they parts are here and show up. You are after all paying for it.

I have a 2013 85 salvage title-rebuilt title-California title. I spent the 1200.00 for the HV inspection, and now all of the dealers in my area will service anything on it, including HV equipment. Its worth the money given what I paid for the car and I have had over 4 years of great driving so far. I've had the MCU upgrade done too, with optional FM-XM radio. Was no problem.

Just my opinion, but thinking it is terrible they went out of their way to lower you to 60. I guess some people would say they were justified in giving you the same range as what you had, but if I am Tesla, I would make it a good will gesture to keep you at 90. After all, they installed a 90 so it isn't costing them anything to keep you at 90 and they are not gaining anything by moving you back to 60. I don't get it. I wouldn't call it theft since you have the same range as you did before, but it sure is a disgusting tactic.

@Silicon Desert - You aren't wrong, and that is pretty much how I'd expect ANY other car company to treat it. The replacement happened under warranty, what was installed was b/c THEY chose to put it in, being they don't manufacture the smaller pack any longer - b/c it is cheaper to only have a couple sizes.

Where you are using "good customer service" and "logic" is where they went their own way... They see it as "Here's an opportunity we have to get EVEN MORE MONEY from the customer, any opportunity like that is to be taken!" which is how a software company thinks, not a hardware company.

Their concept of "good customer service" is "the good customer keeps servicing us with his money over and over and over again" rather than what any normal member of the human race would think. That they had to be beaten over the head with the bad publicity to fix this, AND that they have done this to more than one person, shows how out of touch they are with reality.

I have a 2013 85 salvage title-rebuilt title-California title. I spent the 1200.00 for the HV inspection, and now all of the dealers in my area will service anything on it, including HV equipment. Its worth the money given what I paid for the car and I have had over 4 years of great driving so far. I've had the MCU upgrade done too, with optional FM-XM radio. Was no problem.

This is good information. I have asked a few people hypothetical questions about this kind of situation and all they have said is that there will be a HV inspection plan "soon" for salvaged vehicles. Of course "soon" could be when the FSD actually works properly too. ;) I wouldn't hold my breath.

Reactions: Akikiki
I have a 2013 85 salvage title-rebuilt title-California title. I spent the 1200.00 for the HV inspection, and now all of the dealers in my area will service anything on it, including HV equipment. Its worth the money given what I paid for the car and I have had over 4 years of great driving so far. I've had the MCU upgrade done too, with optional FM-XM radio.

That's awesome! Though a rebuilt title is a little different than salvage title right? Or...is a car that's been 'totaled' but back on the road legal a salvage title rebuild? Mine was done in California as well.

I got a great price on mine too and it's a 2017 with only 29,000 miles on it with AP 2.5

I would GLADLY pay that inspection fee if it's that's the case.

@TurboTimmy, There's very good advice here above. But Tesla doesn't generally want to see the title when you go in for service. If the car is under your Tesla.com account - why not try? What have you got to lose? If there's an issue, they will likely tell you before they start tearing it down. If it were me, I'd submit a service ticket for the upgrade, wait on notice from them they parts are here and show up. You are after all paying for it.
My worry is them shutting off my supercharging ability.

That's awesome! Though a rebuilt title is a little different than salvage title right? Or...is a car that's been 'totaled' but back on the road legal a salvage title rebuild? Mine was done in California as well.

I got a great price on mine too and it's a 2017 with only 29,000 miles on it with AP 2.5

I would GLADLY pay that inspection fee if it's that's the case.
I can't speak to Tesla's internal process (if there is one beyond "get ALL the money!") but with OTHER car brands, if a car is wrecked and considered "totaled" by the insurance company - by reaching 75% of market value in repair costs - then it is considered a "total loss" or "salvage" vehicle depending on if the insurance company took control of the title for the vehicle.

It will then be sold at auction (if they took control and had the title re-printed with the branding of salvage) and a buyer can either part the car out, ending that VIN number from existence with an eventual "destruction" when the frame is scrapped / crushed... OR deal with the particular state to have it inspected and get a "rebuilt" title issued. IF IT HAS BEEN REBUILT then it is determined to be the same as any other vehicle, save for the insurance value which WILL be reduced by at least 30% in the case of any future payout from full coverage - IF you find a company to issue a full coverage policy. EVERY insurance carrier has access to the payout system to know that XYZ particular vehicle was previously fully-paid-out, and they will never pay that value again. Liability claims don't apply, that's payment by the at-fault party for both bodily and vehicle damage. So if you have a rebuilt that is hit by someone else - you can still get full payout, but it will likely be a fight.

Now if Tesla is adding a new wrinkle to this by blocking supercharger access from rebuilt vehicles (salvage / non-fixed, I fully support).... Then that's a new problem. The issue I have with that is that you NEVER hear of any vehicle having issues supercharging, but look to any of the news stories of a Tesla catching fire.... It's ALWAYS in someone's home garage, which isn't blocked with a salvage vehicle! If they want to say a salvage vehicle isn't safe to supercharge (and again I'm OK with that situation SPECIFICALLY), then it isn't safe for ANY charging until it is fixed!

The behavior of Tesla service centers (except for outliers) has been (I think) very consistent towards salvage/rebuilt vehicles:

- They will service anything except for the HV parts. FSD, MCU upgrade… all that is fine.
- If you pass the HV inspection, they will service those parts too.
- What you lose with a rebuilt title is the ability to supercharge. It really doesn’t matter that you pass the HV inspection.

Of course this might change in the future.