TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Would the Model S's roof have survived this tree?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by calisnow, Feb 1, 2016.

1. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/calif-motorist-killed-toppled-oak-tree-wind-storm-article-1.2515714

This is a sad story - maybe no car's crush resistance could've handled a falling oak like this - but I do wonder. The car in the picture appears to be a Honda - and they're not known for strong roofs (at least not years ago - maybe they're better now). Many years ago my sister survived a rollover in her 1990 Mercedes 300CE after she fell asleep and ran it off an embankment - she didn't even suffer a scratch - the crash woke her up, she got on her phone and called police. CHP at the time told her the car's strong roof saved her life.

I also wonder whether the panoramic roof changes the Model S's rollover strength and/or crush resistance - or if it makes no difference.

2. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Pretty damn big tree. Not sure, but it did break the roof crush machine with, I believe 4X the weight of the car pressing down on it. Poor person. Hopefully they didn't even know what hit them.