Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

would this work to charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
went to the tesla site
Gen 2 NEMA Adapters
its like the 2nd one from the right
cant figure the name adater for it numbers
Given that the adapter you linked to in the OP is for a 14-30 male plug, I have to assume your dryer outlet is likewise 14-30. If you select 14-30 on the drop-down menu of the Tesla store link I provided, it will show a picture of that selected adapter and an illustration of the plug pin layout. I believe that's the one you want, but please verify for yourself the illustrated plug pin layout matches that of your dryer outlet.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: SSedan
@dcjcdc Here is a site that shows some of the common outlet types.
NEMA connector - Wikipedia

Don't get some hokey pigtail thing to pass between a 30 amp to 50 amp outlet type. Just get the right Tesla plug for your dryer outlet as @BluestarE3 is saying.

Dryer outlets are always either a 10-30 (old) or 14-30 (new). Those are both shown in the link I gave above to see what they look like. The changeover of forbidding new 10-30 outlet installs came in about 1996, so that will give you a good idea of which your house has.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
@dcjcdc Here is a site that shows some of the common outlet types.
NEMA connector - Wikipedia

Don't get some hokey pigtail thing to pass between a 30 amp to 50 amp outlet type. Just get the right Tesla plug for your dryer outlet as @BluestarE3 is saying.

Dryer outlets are always either a 10-30 (old) or 14-30 (new). Those are both shown in the link I gave above to see what they look like. The changeover of forbidding new 10-30 outlet installs came in about 1996, so that will give you a good idea of which your house has.

just took a photo..it does say nema 14-30 r
30a-125- 250v grd6
gas dryer is double 30 amp breaker...pic enclosed breaker which we dont use..as we have a gas dryer and its on 110 plug

so again ok to order the tesla 14-30
and it should work to charge model 3
thanks

Attachments

• dryer plug in 002.jpg
    dryer plug in 002.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 96
  • breaker dryer 002.jpg
    breaker dryer 002.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 74
Reactions: Rocky_H
Yup, using that 14-30 outlet with the proper adapter for your UMC will get you 5.8kW of charging power. That might be all you'll ever need for daily use assuming that outlet is close enough to your car. Switching to a 14-50 outlet will allow you to charge at 7.7kW if you need the faster speed. If you need even faster charging and have a long-range battery you can buy a Gen1 UMC or a Wall Connector to get even faster speeds (9.6 kW or 11.5kW)

Yup, using that 14-30 outlet with the proper adapter for your UMC will get you 5.8kW of charging power. That might be all you'll ever need for daily use assuming that outlet is close enough to your car. Switching to a 14-50 outlet will allow you to charge at 7.7kW if you need the faster speed. If you need even faster charging and have a long-range battery you can buy a Gen1 UMC or a Wall Connector to get even faster speeds (9.6 kW or 11.5kW)
have model 3 standard range plus..yes right now the cord from car is long enough to laundry room where the dryer is...
using that 14-30 outlet with the proper adapter for your UMC what is UMC
thanks for info....at present im using 110 charging approx 9 kms an hour

have model 3 standard range plus..yes right now the cord from car is long enough to laundry room where the dryer is...
using that 14-30 outlet with the proper adapter for your UMC what is UMC
thanks for info....at present im using 110 charging approx 9 kms an hour
Should be good then. Plenty of people get by just fine on those 30A dryer outlets. You were asking what UMC stands for? That's Universal Mobile Connector. That is the charging cable that takes those different adapter plugs.

• Helpful
Should be good then. Plenty of people get by just fine on those 30A dryer outlets. You were asking what UMC stands for? That's Universal Mobile Connector. That is the charging cable that takes those different adapter plugs.
thanks
what ballpark figure you would think i would get with the new adapter connection in kms
thanks

as well read
you would actually have to dial down to 24A for a 30A circuit. Only 80% of capacity is allowed for continuous use..is this true

Last edited:
thanks
what ballpark figure you would think i would get with the new adapter connection in kms
thanks
If you go on Tesla's website to the menu on the right, there is a section about charging:
Mobile Connector
It shows a chart of charging speeds with each type of outlet. 22 miles per hour (35 km per hour) from a 14-30 for the Model 3.

as well read
you would actually have to dial down to 24A for a 30A circuit. Only 80% of capacity is allowed for continuous use..is this true
That is an electric code requirement, but you will not have to do anything with that--it is all handled automatically. The way that is done is that each of those different plug adapters that fits into the charging cable has a little chip inside it that is coded for the type of plug it is. So when it is plugged into the cable, the cable reads that, and it knows if it is a 30A outlet or 20A outlet, etc. and it sets the proper current limit to 80% of that, and that is the signal it sends to the car that it will only allow up to 24A draw from that 14-30 plug. So the system already has the smarts in it to take care of that for you, as long as you are using official Tesla plugs that do that signaling.

Remember back at the start of this thread, when you were thinking of buying that external third party thing to try to adapt a 14-30 plug for your dryer to a Tesla 14-50 plug? That would be defeating this smart safety system, and why that's not really recommended. In that setup, the Tesla 14-50 plug would think that it should pull the maximum 32A that the UMC can handle, and would trip the 30A breaker of your outlet if the breaker works correctly. It's not worth messing with that. You can dial down the amps on the car's screen to try to work with that if needed, but it's troublesome if you forget and is not worth risking anything for your regular at-home daily charging setup.

Thanks all for the info..learned alot...will order the 14-30 in the meantime..
- when time is right will have the outlet for 240 charging in the garage where will get an electrian for the work for 14-50 and put in 50 amp breaker for that...lucky for i , dont drive much...40 kms round trip daily...

update
just recieved my 14-30 plug
- want to make sure before, blow up house..
so its working and on tesla app
showing
43 km hr charge 244v 24-24 A
plugged into dryer plug which is in laundry room which is on 2 30 amp breakers..so if i was to move the 30 amp breaker by hand, both would move
- so this is for model 3 standard range plus with small battery
everything ok with this setup
thanks

plugged into dryer plug which is in laundry room which is on 2 30 amp breakers..so if i was to move the 30 amp breaker by hand, both would move
People don't call that two breakers. Those ones with the bar connecting the handles are called a "two-pole breaker", which is what needs to be used for 240V circuits like that.
everything ok with this setup

Yep, sounds great.

• Helpful